3 year old hyper focusing on things

Anonymous 1

Unread post

carterscutie85 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:22 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:08 pm Oh come on. He's a difficult kid. Some just are. Lots of kids are holy terrors. It won't last forever. You'll get through it. Why the constant need to label these days?
He is getting ready to go to preschool, and like I said he cannot be running around like a crazy person when it's time for whatever activity. Which is exactly what he would do. He's got to learn how to act in school. I know he is 3, and 3 year olds are wild, but a teacher cannot be expected to spend 1-2 hours redirecting him when he's decided he'd rather not participate in whatever the class is doing.
I understand. BUT you have no idea how he will act in school. We all know kids behave better for others than us parents. I had (he's 25 now) a terror like you are describing. A nightmare at home but an angel and straight A student at school. Just saying he might surprise you. No need to 'make' him be a label because he misbehaves at 3.5.
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Is he in daycare or a school setting at all?
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Inmybizz wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:54 pm Is he in daycare or a school setting at all?
No but I am looking into getting him into preschool for the upcoming school year.
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Ok.. sometimes, kids behave differently in a different setting. He could just be really stubborn (growing and changing). I would see how he does in preschool and then follow up with testing.

quote=carterscutie85 post_id=909633 time=1656705377 user_id=192]
Inmybizz wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:54 pm Is he in daycare or a school setting at all?
No but I am looking into getting him into preschool for the upcoming school year.
[/quote]
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:08 pm Oh come on. He's a difficult kid. Some just are. Lots of kids are holy terrors. It won't last forever. You'll get through it. Why the constant need to label these days?
he sounds more like a totally out of control holy terror....

''difficult kid' my ass.....
Anonymous 3

Unread post

carterscutie85 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:56 pm
and with behavior like that he will get bounced out immediately
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:12 pm
carterscutie85 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:56 pm
and with behavior like that he will get bounced out immediately
Exactly which is why I am looking into getting him assessed. My oldest went to a special needs preschool though he wasn't at all like my youngest. I learned at that time that a diagnosis from a doctor gets you way further in the school system then just an evaluation from the school itself. So my plan was to get him assessed, then call the school and explain. They'll still do their own assessment (as they did with my oldest) and go from there.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

I mean without discipline that's what 3 year olds do. I used to teach at a preschool where nothing could be said that was negative and the kids were there all day long. They were all terrors like that. At 3 he's too old for redirection that's for infants and toddlers not preschoolers.
Its possible there's more going on but he just sounds like a kid who doesn't have consequences to his actions. 3 year olds test their limits it's part of being 3 and you aren't giving him the security of setting those firm limits.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:32 pm I mean without discipline that's what 3 year olds do. I used to teach at a preschool where nothing could be said that was negative and the kids were there all day long. They were all terrors like that. At 3 he's too old for redirection that's for infants and toddlers not preschoolers.
Its possible there's more going on but he just sounds like a kid who doesn't have consequences to his actions. 3 year olds test their limits it's part of being 3 and you aren't giving him the security of setting those firm limits.
So what am I supposed to do if he literally will not sit in a time out and I'm not willing to spank him? I do take toys away when he misbehaves with them.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

carterscutie85 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:42 pm
Anonymous 4 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:32 pm I mean without discipline that's what 3 year olds do. I used to teach at a preschool where nothing could be said that was negative and the kids were there all day long. They were all terrors like that. At 3 he's too old for redirection that's for infants and toddlers not preschoolers.
So what am I supposed to do if he literally will not sit in a time out and I'm not willing to spank him? I do take toys away when he misbehaves with them.
You put his butt in time out over and over again until he learns to sit in time out. Why would he sit there there's no consequences to not doing it? Afterwards make sure you talk to him about what you expect from him and why he's there. Talk to him before you go to areas that you anticipate trouble. So since he wants to run into the road you remind him before he goes outside that he needs to stay next to you so he doesn't get hurt. Tell him that as long as he continues trying to run he will have to hold your hand. We even made games out of things just to practice behaving appropriately in difficult situations.
There's a book called positive discipline I had to read for one of my college courses and I highly recommend it.
Locked Previous topicNext topic