Anyone in or from Arizona? I have a question

Anonymous 1

Unread post

I finally made it to this beautiful state, and I LOVE it here. But, and this may be just culture shock based on where I come from, there's something thats been kind of bugging me since Ive moved here. Now, to be fair, I am from Texas and Texas is known as the "friendly state". So it could be me. But I've noticed that people seem a tiny bit rude... or what most Texans would see as rude. The not waving and smiling at people, I can get used to. I'm not entitled to that kind of interaction and know in many places thats not a thing. But rude as in, say you're at the grocery store and go to checkout, the checkout person rolls their eyes and slams your stuff in bags. Acts like they already despise you for being there, or they barely acknowledge youre there in the first place and wont say a word to you, not even to tell you your total. Yesterday I actually had to ask what my total was, as the checker was looking off in the distance, and wouldn't look at me.
Also, just people in general here are this way. They will run into you and keep going as if nothing happened. Not an excuse for me or anything. This older lady ran into the back of my cart a couple weeks ago, and she was looking right at me when she did it, and said nothing... just looked at me as I was placing my groceries on the belt. I went to order some food the other day and the person who was to take my order looked at me and walked off and called someone else over to take my order.. which where I come from is rude to walk off and not excuse yourself or anything. She just looked at me and turned around and walked off.
Is this normal behavior in AZ or outside of Texas? Or is it just me? Maybe I've been spoiled my whole life, having been born in a state that teaches basic manners and basic decency? Either way I love the state and wouldn't let this ruin it for me, but I'm just curious.

Also, on a side note, I think my Texas hospitality is starting to work on some people in town as Ive been making an effort to show my face often in town. I finally got a couple people to look at me and smile back, one even spoke back and said "youre welcome" to me when I said "excuse me, thank you" as I passed them... its the little things :lol:
Deleted User 1977

Unread post

It's the heat right now here. 🀯😡πŸ₯΄

I've lived here in AZ nearly 49 years and yeah, people today are just not that friendly.

Keep being you, smiling and being friendly, and the rude ones can go suck an a/c filter. πŸ˜πŸ˜‰
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Arizona is one of the trashiest places. Excluding Flagstaff.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

That's normal in California too. And when I was in Florida the cashier pulled out his cell phone and started texting people while I was paying. It's so sad!
RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

We're from Houston and have considered moving to AZ. This post doesn't give me a ton of hope, lol. Although, we were there for two weeks and everyone was lovely but it was during COVID so maybe there just weren't that many people out.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

AZOldCoot wrote: ↑Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:13 pm It's the heat right now here. 🀯😡πŸ₯΄

I've lived here in AZ nearly 49 years and yeah, people today are just not that friendly.

Keep being you, smiling and being friendly, and the rude ones can go suck an a/c filter. πŸ˜πŸ˜‰
Thank you! I definitely plan on it.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: ↑Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:18 pm Arizona is one of the trashiest places. Excluding Flagstaff.
a
I dont know if its trashy, there are a lot of nice areas, but the people in general seem off. At least the area I'm in. Which is near Flagstaff. And Flag is where most of these interactions have occurred. Oddly enough, I visited Camp Verde last year and everyone was really pleasant. A little strange, as small towners tend to be lol, but nice. Up here between Flagstaff and the White Mountain area is a different story. Also in Tempe and Mesa as well. Just rude people kind of miserable people.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: ↑Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:32 pm That's normal in California too. And when I was in Florida the cashier pulled out his cell phone and started texting people while I was paying. It's so sad!
It is sad. Hopefully, I can make an influence on some people around here :lol:
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I went through culture shock when I moved to North Texas because the people aren’t as friendly as other southern states I’ve lived in. I won’t say super rude or anything, just different.

I thought the people in Flagstaff were pretty friendly but I have never lived there either and that can be different than visiting.

I hope you feel better, culture shock is no fun. Lol
Anonymous 1

Unread post

RIZZY wrote: ↑Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:53 pm We're from Houston and have considered moving to AZ. This post doesn't give me a ton of hope, lol. Although, we were there for two weeks and everyone was lovely but it was during COVID so maybe there just weren't that many people out.
We visited last year kind of at the end of the whole pandemic things, right as the masks were coming off. We visited Camp Verde and Sedona and for the most part, it was really nice. Camp Verde was full of nice small-town people. Sedona was full of tourists, so it was hard to get an accurate reading of the nature of the area. It was kind of a mixture of distinct personalities. Mostly, people minded their own. Ive found Flagstaff and off to the east to be mostly where Ive had these issues, although Tempe and Mesa and surrounding the Phoenix areas as well.

Dont let my post stop you, I think it just takes time to get used to the difference in culture anywhere. Plus, it would be nice to have more Texans here. Maybe collectively we can spread that Texas hospitality and make it a thing here. Just come in all aggressive with it :lol:
Locked Previous topicNext topic