The school called CPS because I couldn't leave work immediately

Anonymous 1

Unread post

I got a call that my son had a "fever" of 100.1 which is 0.1 degrees over their limit for sending kids home.

He felt fine and only was in the nurses office because he scraped up his knee playing on the playground and she wanted to do a full work up on him and she found the that his temp was high. He says he was visibly hot and sweaty so she shouldnt have even taken a temporal temperature anyway. Chances are he was only warm because he was playing outside for 30 mins in 85 degree weather but they wanted me to come get him. I told them I would be down there as soon as I could but I had to wait for someone to relieve me at work (I'm in healthcare). They had supposedly called everyone on my emergency contact list and told me no one else answered.

It was an hour before we were supposed to change shifts and someone was going to come in early and help me out but she had to get ready still. DH is out of town.

It was about 75 mins before I got to the school. When I got there I had the school's social worker waiting for me. They informed me that what I did was unacceptable. They said that a call had been made to CPS to make sure everything was okay at home. They call on anyone who isnt there within 30 mins

I am not worried about CPS but the whole thing is just annoying. DS had no fever when I got there even. There is nothing wrong in our home. DH usually goes and picks up the kids because he can work whenever it was just shitty timing because he wasnt in town to do it. I later found out that they didn't call any of the emergency contacts. I did think it was odd that 6 people didn't answer but I didn't think the school would actually lie to me.

Today DS couldnt even go to school because of his "fever". His temp hasnt been elevated once in that time but they wont let them back in school for 24 hours.

The whole thing is bullshit. I just wanted to vent. This is a year round school so yes they are still in session before anyone asks why he's still in school in the middle of June.
Murdoc's Mistress
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

If they lied about calling contacts, they prob lied about calling CPS too. I'd call them out on that shit.

Sucks that your kid has year round school.
You were born an original, don't die a copy.
Heyteacher
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Policy is policy. Whenever I’ve been called I tell them how long it will take me to get there. You would really hate our district policy-is a child shows any signs of illness they are sent home and not allowed back without a doctors note (not saying that is what it was here).
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Heyteacher wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:55 am Policy is policy. Whenever I’ve been called I tell them how long it will take me to get there. You would really hate our district policy-is a child shows any signs of illness they are sent home and not allowed back without a doctors note (not saying that is what it was here).
And they lied and didn't follow their own policy so....
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Murdoc's Mistress wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:41 am If they lied about calling contacts, they prob lied about calling CPS too. I'd call them out on that shit.

When my son was in year-round school, I loved it. They get longer breaks throughout the year.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

You’ve got six people before you on the emergency contact list and they called CPS within the hour? Mhmmmm
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Murdoc's Mistress wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:41 am If they lied about calling contacts, they prob lied about calling CPS too. I'd call them out on that shit.

The social worker seemed very serious about calling CPS so I don't think that was a lie. My kids love year round school. We are able to do much cooler things.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:21 pm You’ve got six people before you on the emergency contact list and they called CPS within the hour? Mhmmmm
I am either first or second on the list. Yes they said their policy is to call after 30 minutes.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I'm wondering who actually has 6 emergency contacts on their list? I have one besides DH and myself. I can't imagine knowing 6 people who can just drop everything to go pick up my child.

But either way, the school is ridiculous. When my kids were younger I worked where it took a minimum of 20 minutes to drive from my workplace to the school. DH worked further away. For me if there was even a little bit of traffic backup I would need a minimum of 30 minutes and that's if I could run out the door immediately. I think one time I was close to an hour from the time they called me until I walked in to get him. He just laid in the nurses office with a bucket (just in case) until I could get there.

This is our society. Parents work. Parents NEED to work. And we can't always get there immediately. A CPS call after only 30 minutes is ridiculous. Talk about wasting resources.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:32 pm I'm wondering who actually has 6 emergency contacts on their list? I have one besides DH and myself. I can't imagine knowing 6 people who can just drop everything to go pick up my child.

But either way, the school is ridiculous. When my kids were younger I worked where it took a minimum of 20 minutes to drive from my workplace to the school. DH worked further away. For me if there was even a little bit of traffic backup I would need a minimum of 30 minutes and that's if I could run out the door immediately. I think one time I was close to an hour from the time they called me until I walked in to get him. He just laid in the nurses office with a bucket (just in case) until I could get there.

This is our society. Parents work. Parents NEED to work. And we can't always get there immediately. A CPS call after only 30 minutes is ridiculous. Talk about wasting resources.
I have myself, my husband, my mil, my best guy friend, my 3 best girl friends and their SOs So i got 10 because we all work and can't always drop what we are doing. I've had to go all the way down the line a couple of times before. I also have others in my personal emergency call list that are not on the school list which includes 3 more people. And most of my list is on everyone else's list too. I'm so thankful we have such a huge village; not bragging I'm genuinely thankful because we didn't have this before we moved. I had my mom, my hubby and my bro. And i could barely rely on my bro.
Locked Previous topicNext topic