South Dakota governor says she will ban abortion pills prescribed online

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Deleted User 1977

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:18 pm
AZOldCoot wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:06 pm It's not complication-free for every woman who goes the route of ordering an abortion pill online. This needs to be addressed by those in this country who are endorsing doing this.

Some women will do just fine but not all of them and it has to be made known. Not sure of the reliability of the link below but it's stating my own concerns:

"What Are The Risks of Ordering the Abortion Pill Online? | PRA" https://prabilene.com/what-are-the-risk ... ll-online/

Momto2boys973 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:54 pm ITA.
It seems to me, seeing it for a somewhat outwards perception that the hysteria going on around it has made people- from BOTH sides- not see things clearly and in a proper perception. Should abortions be completely banned, even in life savings situations? Obviously not. But should any woman in a pickle be able to just buy something that sounds OK over the Internet to get rid of “the problem”? I say no also.
This is probably the attitude that turns me away from pro-choices. Abortion isn’t a headache. It’s not acid reflux. It’s a much more delicate issues physically and emotionally. It shouldn’t be treated as an itch that needs scratching. It’s complex, and as such any woman contemplating it should be checked by a physician prior to undergoing such a procedure and should talk to a counselor about her feelings around her circumstances.

I think most women realize the danger of complications and if not, most can read the packaging. But when all other choices are taken away, what are you to do?

South Dakota has said that women must carry a pregnancy to term with a material death rate of 24 per 100,000 (higher for women of color). Then they say that they want to restrict abortion pill which carries a death rate of .65 per 100,000 for all women. Claiming concern for health of women is just absurd. Women are not stupid. They can see through this.

Just to add, Tylenol has a higher rate of adverse affects including death.
The responsibility of the possible adverse effects of the abortion pill rests with yes, the woman who will go this route, but also those who manufacture this medical product. There is no guarantee this will happen if the pill comes from a different country either.

As Mom stated, this isn't like taking something purchased OTC.

It's best as with anything prescribed, to always be cautious.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

AZOldCoot wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:32 pm
AZOldCoot wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:06 pm It's not complication-free for every woman who goes the route of ordering an abortion pill online. This needs to be addressed by those in this country who are endorsing doing this.

Some women will do just fine but not all of them and it has to be made known. Not sure of the reliability of the link below but it's stating my own concerns:

"What Are The Risks of Ordering the Abortion Pill Online? | PRA" https://prabilene.com/what-are-the-risk ... ll-online/

I think most women realize the danger of complications and if not, most can read the packaging. But when all other choices are taken away, what are you to do?

South Dakota has said that women must carry a pregnancy to term with a material death rate of 24 per 100,000 (higher for women of color). Then they say that they want to restrict abortion pill which carries a death rate of .65 per 100,000 for all women. Claiming concern for health of women is just absurd. Women are not stupid. They can see through this.

The responsibility of the possible adverse effects of the abortion pill rests with yes, the woman who will go this route, but also those who manufacture this medical product. There is no guarantee this will happen if the pill comes from a different country either.

I can purchase it from Amazon with a 5 minute web consultation. Do you think this is sufficient for women like me in Virginia but not for those in South Dakota?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

It seems to me, seeing it for a somewhat outwards perception that the hysteria going on around it has made people- from BOTH sides- not see things clearly and in a proper perception. Should abortions be completely banned, even in life savings situations? Obviously not. But should any woman in a pickle be able to just buy something that sounds OK over the Internet to get rid of “the problem”? I say no also.
This is probably the attitude that turns me away from pro-choices. Abortion isn’t a headache. It’s not acid reflux. It’s a much more delicate issues physically and emotionally. It shouldn’t be treated as an itch that needs scratching. It’s complex, and as such any woman contemplating it should be checked by a physician prior to undergoing such a procedure and should talk to a counselor about her feelings around her circumstances.

AZOldCoot wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:45 pm While I am pro choice, I do get her points about telemedicine/prescribing the abortion pill online in THIS situation.

An abortion is an absolute right for a woman but if I am understanding this correctly, a woman wouldn't have to be physically (live and in person) seen prior to aborting?
Did you look into that website before you shared it?
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-atto ... lls-2022-6

US Attorney General Merrick Garland said Friday that states can't ban the abortion medication mifepristone "based on disagreement with the FDA."

The US Food and Drug Administration had already ruled on the pill's "safety and efficacy," and that decision could not be overturned by states seeking to limit access to abortion, he said.

Garland's comments came moments after the US Supreme Court handed down a decision overturning 50 years of precedent over Americans' right to abortion.

"Women who reside in states that have banned access to comprehensive reproductive care must remain free to seek that care in states where it is legal," Garland said. "Moreover, under fundamental First Amendment principles, individuals must remain free to inform and counsel each other about the reproductive care that is available in other states."
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

How would the state know what you are ordering online and from where?
Deleted User 1977

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:39 pm
AZOldCoot wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:32 pm

I can purchase it from Amazon with a 5 minute web consultation. Do you think this is sufficient for women like me in Virginia but not for those in South Dakota?
I don't think an Amazon web consultation on something so medically important as an abortion is sufficient for any woman, no matter where they live, but this is the world we live in and especially now.
Deleted User 1977

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:44 pm

Did you look into that website before you shared it?
I did which is why I wrote that I wasn't sure of the reliability of the link but that the concerns it states are my own.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

jessilin0113 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:51 pm https://www.businessinsider.com/us-atto ... lls-2022-6

US Attorney General Merrick Garland said Friday that states can't ban the abortion medication mifepristone "based on disagreement with the FDA."

The US Food and Drug Administration had already ruled on the pill's "safety and efficacy," and that decision could not be overturned by states seeking to limit access to abortion, he said.

Garland's comments came moments after the US Supreme Court handed down a decision overturning 50 years of precedent over Americans' right to abortion.

"Women who reside in states that have banned access to comprehensive reproductive care must remain free to seek that care in states where it is legal," Garland said. "Moreover, under fundamental First Amendment principles, individuals must remain free to inform and counsel each other about the reproductive care that is available in other states."
Abortion pills will be available via APO, DPO, FMO, etc. mail services which is a good thing for those posted abroad, especially in countries that don't allow abortion.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

AZOldCoot wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:45 pm While I am pro choice, I do get her points about telemedicine/prescribing the abortion pill online in THIS situation.

An abortion is an absolute right for a woman but if I am understanding this correctly, a woman wouldn't have to be physically (live and in person) seen prior to aborting?
Y’all know I am normally team both sides but I am from Mississippi where this started so I’ve seen all the horror stories people think others are being dramatic about and I know the political climate that made this completely uncalled for.

Yes, there is a far left extremists base but not in states like Texas or Mississippi. For example, Mississippi is still a Bible Belt so even the pro-choice community has a fairly conservative stance on abortion compared to other states as it is a religious conflict for them as well. That said, MS Republicans could have easily gotten the 15 week ban pushed through and most people in the community had no problem with it.

There was no reason to overturn Row vs. Wade and throw this entire country in turmoil over a matter that MS could have worked out internally.

Governors like Abbott and Reeves are basically picking fights with a far left base that doesn’t exist in the states that they are responsible for managing and the rest of the country is now suffering because of that.

I have raked over this a lot since Friday and I just can’t place blame on anybody but the Supreme Court and Mississippi republicans who aren’t telling the whole story.
Locked Previous topicNext topic