What is privilege?

carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Privilege is when you are a young white male and you get zero jail time for raping an unconscious woman behind a dumpster all because you are "such" a good athlete.

Privilege is not being shot in your own bed while you are asleep because the cops mistook you for someone they already had in custody.

Privilege is not having your neck kneeled on after passing a (what turned out not to be) fake 20 dollar bill.

Privilege is knowing you can drive your car and not be stopped because you are white. Privilege is not worrying about someone stopping your SUV looking for a stolen motorcycle and pinning your family to the ground.

I could go on.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

carterscutie85 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:53 pm Privilege is when you are a young white male and you get zero jail time for raping an unconscious woman behind a dumpster all because you are "such" a good athlete.

Privilege is not being shot in your own bed while you are asleep because the cops mistook you for someone they already had in custody.

Privilege is not having your neck kneeled on after passing a (what turned out not to be) fake 20 dollar bill.

Privilege is knowing you can drive your car and not be stopped because you are white. Privilege is not worrying about someone stopping your SUV looking for a stolen motorcycle and pinning your family to the ground.

I could go on.

Google Harding street raid. Seriously. Google it. And then get back to me
Anonymous 6

Unread post

carterscutie85 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:53 pm Privilege is when you are a young white male and you get zero jail time for raping an unconscious woman behind a dumpster all because you are "such" a good athlete.

I could go on.
a lot of that happens to whites too. in fact the same scenario that happen with George floyd also happen to a young sn white man. but it never hit the media.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:32 pm
Anonymous 4 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:29 pm White privledge is when a white , rich 21 year old ( this was me by the way ) gets arrested for a DUI and I get treated like a princess by the cops that arrest me, put in my own cell and given a phone to use as often as I wanted, then going to court and getting a few hours of community service, which I never finished but got thanked anyways by the judge who thought I was doing such a great job and then had my case dismissed- - - Vs. My Mexican sister in law who was born in Los Angeles getting arrested for the same thing but an even lower blood alcohol level , checked out for three days to "access" whether or not she was legal while keeping her in custody the whole time and then getting 3 months in jail and 1000 hours of community service.

We are white. My husband was arrested for a dwi and actually needed medical attention. He did not get it. Even when I called the jail and they themselves told me he was bad off.

When he went before the judge he was given 40 hours community service plus 10 thousand dollars in fines. Every month for a year he had to go see a probation officer and pay 60 each time and every other time he had to take a drug test and pay 25 for that.

Again. We’re white.
Then he had some serious drugs in his system.
Anonymous 8

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:29 pm White privledge is when a white , rich 21 year old ( this was me by the way ) gets arrested for a DUI and I get treated like a princess by the cops that arrest me, put in my own cell and given a phone to use as often as I wanted, then going to court and getting a few hours of community service, which I never finished but got thanked anyways by the judge who thought I was doing such a great job and then had my case dismissed- - - Vs. My Mexican sister in law who was born in Los Angeles getting arrested for the same thing but an even lower blood alcohol level , checked out for three days to "access" whether or not she was legal while keeping her in custody the whole time and then getting 3 months in jail and 1000 hours of community service.
I’ve experienced both sides of what you describe (without the DUI). When I was driving a beater car the cop carefully searched it (48 in a 40). When I was driving a Mercedes, the cop didn’t hassle me because I was pleasant, respectful, and committed a minor infraction (driving 36 in a 30). In both cases I did not receive a ticket.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:51 pm

We are white. My husband was arrested for a dwi and actually needed medical attention. He did not get it. Even when I called the jail and they themselves told me he was bad off.

When he went before the judge he was given 40 hours community service plus 10 thousand dollars in fines. Every month for a year he had to go see a probation officer and pay 60 each time and every other time he had to take a drug test and pay 25 for that.

Again. We’re white.

my white husband was pulled over. passed the sobriety test but was still taken to jail, , has about $2000 in fines, 48 hrs in jail and his license suspended for a year. and he wasn't even drunk, all because the cop suspected he was. once again he is white. where is his white privilege.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Anonymous 6 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:54 pm

Again. We’re white.

my white husband was pulled over. passed the sobriety test but was still taken to jail, , has about $2000 in fines, 48 hrs in jail and his license suspended for a year. and he wasn't even drunk, all because the cop suspected he was. once again he is white. where is his white privilege.
That sounds like the most inept lawyer on the planet, or this is lies.

Wait, or he refused a breathalizer/ blood test in which case is a guilty verdict anyway.

One of the three, you pick.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Again. We’re white.

Nope. No drugs at all in his system. They checked of course. Both blood and urine. But nope. All he had was alcohol.
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:48 pmpicture
If you want to be literal, a privilege is a prerogative granted to an individual by dint of their belonging to a particular group (which can be a group of 1, for example the group of people who are the current chair of a particular golf club).

Everyone belongs to multiple groups and has multiple privileges. People don't all have the same number, nor are all privileges equally beneficial in all situations. For example, a kidnap victim currently being tortured to death who also happens to be the chair of his local golf club still has the privilege of parking his car in a spot reserved for him in the club's car park... but that privilege doesn't do him a lot of good in that situation. Someone can have more privileges than average, yet still through chance (or poor decisions, or many other factors) end up with a hard and miserable life.

I like the analogy to computer gaming that someone came up with:

Suppose life were a game where you could chose, before being born, what your nationality, gender, ethnicity and sexuality were.

It is possible to do well in the game no matter which character type you pick. But some require more luck or effort than others.

Straight/White/Male/High IQ/American/Born-to-wealthy-parents-who-put-you-in-good-schools = easy mode
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:04 pm

Again. We’re white.

Nope. No drugs at all in his system. They checked of course. Both blood and urine. But nope. All he had was alcohol.
Right. And he fostered puppy dogs and the judge had them all put to sleep as punishment. Sorry, drug tests are ordered when drugs are found. Even weed. If there were no drugs found, even a public attorney could have had that stipulation dropped.
Locked Previous topicNext topic