Let’s talk rings....

MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:20 am
MistressMonster wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:25 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:04 pm My half sister just got engaged. She has always been very spoiled. Her mom encouraged that kind of behavior and is a die-for-designer type person too. She posted her ring. It’s big and beautiful. Everyone was commenting on how nice it was. I did too. She messaged me privately and told me that she just wishes it was bigger and was worth more and that he “could have done better.” I was kind of appalled and didn’t warrant it with a reply. My wedding band was I think 500 or 600? It wasn’t the price of the ring....rather the love we had for each other.
Well you also have diamond companies like DeBeers to help cater to the bigger, the better ring mentality. Only two months salary. That used to be the old line for an engagement ring.
Honestly I used to think a down payment on a house would be a better use of that two months salary.
It actually would be.
The oranges of the island are like blazing fire
Amongst the emerald boughs
And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover
Who has spent the night crying.

My soul was ripped to shreds on 10/27/14
lauren08
Regent
Regent

Unread post

My original ring is 1/4 of a carat. I love it because DH picked it out for me, plus I am sentimental like that. :) He upgraded it several years ago to a 1 carat. I love both rings and still often wear my original. For me, it’s the meaning behind the ring, not the size or price of the stone. Our love is for ourselves, not to show off to the world.
MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

My original ring was 1/4 carat. I loved it. Wore it until I became pregnant with Kidlet. Fingers never shrank down. So hubby upgraded my ring to a 3 stone anniversary ring. I also love that ring. Both will always have a deep sentimental meaning to me.
The oranges of the island are like blazing fire
Amongst the emerald boughs
And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover
Who has spent the night crying.

My soul was ripped to shreds on 10/27/14
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

We all have different budgets and I don’t have anything to say about what someone else spends on a ring or what they like. My husband told me to pick out what I wanted/liked and it just happened to be a larger ring. I love it.. it’s a beautiful ring.

How large of a ring did she want?
Bubbs
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I was married with a $100 ring and no ring once

IF I ever did it again... I’d want something nicer. I’m older and think it would show effort and intention
Honey, I'm the original one-eyed chicklet in the kingdom of the blind, 'cause at least I admit the world makes me nuts.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

There's nothing wrong with her having a big ring and wishing it was bigger. Her wishing it was bigger doesn't mean she doesn't love the guy. It just means she likes big & valuable jewelry.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:04 pm My half sister just got engaged. She has always been very spoiled. Her mom encouraged that kind of behavior and is a die-for-designer type person too. She posted her ring. It’s big and beautiful. Everyone was commenting on how nice it was. I did too. She messaged me privately and told me that she just wishes it was bigger and was worth more and that he “could have done better.” I was kind of appalled and didn’t warrant it with a reply. My wedding band was I think 500 or 600? It wasn’t the price of the ring....rather the love we had for each other.
SisterSomeone
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

It's not your place to say anything on this matter. I like to think of it like people showing off pictures of their newborn. You have to say it's cute and adorable because that's the only acceptable answer, even and especially if the new mom herself doesn't think it's cute. To me, engagement rings are the same. When someone shows you theirs, the only socially acceptable reaction is "omg it's so pretty/sparkly/blingy/whatever the hell!!!"

Judging someone's priorities or tastes leads exactly nowhere, especially if you do it to their face. She's not going to change her entire outlook on the world just because you think she's shallow or that the money could be better used elsewhere. People like what they like and there's nothing wrong with wanting a big expensive ring if that's her cup of tea. Just because you don't think a big ring is important doesn't mean it's wrong oto want one.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

SisterSomeone wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:51 pm It's not your place to say anything on this matter. I like to think of it like people showing off pictures of their newborn. You have to say it's cute and adorable because that's the only acceptable answer, even and especially if the new mom herself doesn't think it's cute. To me, engagement rings are the same. When someone shows you theirs, the only socially acceptable reaction is "omg it's so pretty/sparkly/blingy/whatever the hell!!!"

Judging someone's priorities or tastes leads exactly nowhere, especially if you do it to their face. She's not going to change her entire outlook on the world just because you think she's shallow or that the money could be better used elsewhere. People like what they like and there's nothing wrong with wanting a big expensive ring if that's her cup of tea. Just because you don't think a big ring is important doesn't mean it's wrong oto want one.
Ok? She’s my sister. We have the kind of relationship where we can talk about that kind of stuff with each other. I don’t know why you assumed otherwise. Also, did you miss the part where I commented to her how beautiful the ring was?
JoJo728
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

I’m chuckling at how this post rapidly seemed to become a contest on how small and/or inexpensive my ring was. An engagement ring is on instance where size shouldn’t matter. It is about the relationship. Size is not an indicator of how long the marriage will last either.

My engagement ring’s center stone is .8 carats. There are a few tiny stones on either side. My band has a baguettes on it. My husband designed the engagement ring and he did a great job. It is the perfect size for my small hand and I rarely take it off. We have been married for 21 years.

His 4 siblings are all divorced (we all got married within 2 years of each other). One wanted a big diamond so that she could show her grandma that he was able to support her because grandma was less than kind/supportive of the relationship. Another wanted a big rock because she was narcissistic. A third had a small rock because she didn’t want to spend a lot of money. Guess what - in the long run it didn’t matter.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

I will never understand this need to shame anyone over their ring preference, and I say this as someone whose engagement and wedding rings cost less than $1000 altogether. This guy either doesn't know your half sister very well which isn't good considering he proposed or you're just looking for a way to trash her behind her back, considering you did just that, I'm going to guess that is what this is about.
Locked Previous topicNext topic