Would you put your PPE on before helping someone with Covid 19?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

This will be a hypothetical question for most of you but I'm curious to know what others would do.

Let's say you are working in a hospital and hear a bed alarm going off alerting you that a patient is getting out of bed. This patient is a high fall risk and has injured themselves falling. The patient is Covid positive and that requires you to put on a gown, gloves, N95 mask, and a face shield. It takes time to do all this and you know the patient will likely fall.

The policy at the hospital is that if you are exposed to someone with Covid 19 without the proper PPE you are on leave automatically for 14 days after a negative test which is unpaid.

Would you run into the room with no protection or put on the PPE and deal with the outcome?
Anonymous 2

Unread post

I'd put my ppe on before entering the room.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

The reason I'm asking is because this situation happened to me and people are pissed off that I put PPE on first. How I see it is my health is the most important thing. If I get sick I can't care for my kids and I can't care for others.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I would look out for myself first in that situation. I wouldn't risk catching something that may kill me just to help another person.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

I would think if I’m working in a hospital I’d already have PPE on? I obviously don’t work in a hospital but I would think the best practice would be to wear it for the duration of your shift and changing if it becomes soiled? Idk.

Anyways, back to the question— yes I would change into it if I wasn’t already wearing something.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

blame would lie with the hospital for not doing more to ensure that patient wouldn't fall out of bed
Anonymous 1

Unread post

What more would you want the hospital to do?
Anonymous 4 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:43 am blame would lie with the hospital for not doing more to ensure that patient wouldn't fall out of bed
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:39 am I would think if I’m working in a hospital I’d already have PPE on? I obviously don’t work in a hospital but I would think the best practice would be to wear it for the duration of your shift and changing if it becomes soiled? Idk.

Anyways, back to the question— yes I would change into it if I wasn’t already wearing something.
We have more than one patient at a time. You can't wear the same PPE for each patient.

We wear a surgical mask at all times but none of the other stuff. That would be hell for 13+ hours straight.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

Yes, I’d put PPE on first. It’s like on a plane - put on your own oxygen mask before helping others.
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I would follow protocol and put on PPE before entering the room.
Locked Previous topicNext topic