Let’s talk rings....

Anonymous 1

Unread post

My half sister just got engaged. She has always been very spoiled. Her mom encouraged that kind of behavior and is a die-for-designer type person too. She posted her ring. It’s big and beautiful. Everyone was commenting on how nice it was. I did too. She messaged me privately and told me that she just wishes it was bigger and was worth more and that he “could have done better.” I was kind of appalled and didn’t warrant it with a reply. My wedding band was I think 500 or 600? It wasn’t the price of the ring....rather the love we had for each other.
Nvl0707
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Oh well. I would have just told her she was being ridiculous.
MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:04 pm My half sister just got engaged. She has always been very spoiled. Her mom encouraged that kind of behavior and is a die-for-designer type person too. She posted her ring. It’s big and beautiful. Everyone was commenting on how nice it was. I did too. She messaged me privately and told me that she just wishes it was bigger and was worth more and that he “could have done better.” I was kind of appalled and didn’t warrant it with a reply. My wedding band was I think 500 or 600? It wasn’t the price of the ring....rather the love we had for each other.
Well you also have diamond companies like DeBeers to help cater to the bigger, the better ring mentality. Only two months salary. That used to be the old line for an engagement ring.
The oranges of the island are like blazing fire
Amongst the emerald boughs
And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover
Who has spent the night crying.

My soul was ripped to shreds on 10/27/14
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

MistressMonster wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:25 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:04 pm My half sister just got engaged. She has always been very spoiled. Her mom encouraged that kind of behavior and is a die-for-designer type person too. She posted her ring. It’s big and beautiful. Everyone was commenting on how nice it was. I did too. She messaged me privately and told me that she just wishes it was bigger and was worth more and that he “could have done better.” I was kind of appalled and didn’t warrant it with a reply. My wedding band was I think 500 or 600? It wasn’t the price of the ring....rather the love we had for each other.
Well you also have diamond companies like DeBeers to help cater to the bigger, the better ring mentality. Only two months salary. That used to be the old line for an engagement ring.
Honestly I used to think a down payment on a house would be a better use of that two months salary.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

My engagement ring is about a 1/3 carat. It's perfect. I don't like the look of large diamonds and my band is a thin gold band that cost less than $100. In fact it was on sale and they'd knocked the price down to under $50. It was the band I picked out and wanted. I didn't want a thick band.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

My original was 1/5 of a carat. I loved my ring because Dh picked it for me. The diamond fell out of it about 8 years ago and he upgraded me to a 3/4 carat as well as replaced the stone in the original. Now? I wear a $5 silicone ring daily. I wore it on a cruise so I didn't lose my other ring while snorkeling and never took it off. I've worn it for 3 years now. I have three of them that I switch between. I'm wearing a white one now, but also have blue and black.
If she is being that snotty over a ring, I don't see a marriage lasting long for her because she is going to make his life rough with nothing ever being good enough.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Anonymous 2

Unread post

I think when a women insists on a gigantic ring because nothing else is good enough the marriage is doomed to fail.

I was engaged once before I met DH. The ring was cubic zirconia and it was on sale for $35. I loved that ring.

DH bought me a $100 ring when we got engaged. I don't have a wedding ring simply because I have yet to find something I really like and I don't want to spend money on something I don't absolutely love. I don't need a ring to know I'm married.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

People have different values. If you are materialistic or very status obsessed, then a large stone is going to matter more. And finding the type of guy who will give you that ring is likely a better match than a sentimental partner.

Not my thing either. When we were engaged I did want a ring, and we picked it out together in the Diamond District in Manhatten, and I enjoyed the process. I read up on the cut and clarity and all that, had a custom setting made, etc. Love the ring, but I haven't worn it for years now - just not practical with all the outdoor activities we like to do. Hoping to pass it on eventually.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

She would have been appalled when Ingot married. My husband and so had no $. We drove to a JP after stopping at Walmart where we purchased $25 wedding bands. I didn’t get my 3/4 engagement ring or channel set wedding band until 12 and 13 years after we said I do. I wear all 3 of my rings now but would be DEVASTATED if a I would lose my original.
madfoodie
Sparkles the Elf
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:19 am I think when a women insists on a gigantic ring because nothing else is good enough the marriage is doomed to fail.

I was engaged once before I met DH. The ring was cubic zirconia and it was on sale for $35. I loved that ring.

DH bought me a $100 ring when we got engaged. I don't have a wedding ring simply because I have yet to find something I really like and I don't want to spend money on something I don't absolutely love. I don't need a ring to know I'm married.
Dh spent $100 on mine too. It has since broke 3 times and can no longer be repaired.
As it is I don't like diamonds and requested an amathyst. I now have a brazilian amethyst set.
i want candy!
Locked Previous topicNext topic