Deleted User 670

Unread post

Chasing the Virus:

How India's largest slum beat back a pandemic
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-07- ... demic.html
Moved to News and Politics
Anonymous 1

Unread post

And yet I'm still glad I dont live in India. Huh.

FYI the article says they found contact tracing was essentially impossible.

The real question is what can we learn from this that we can adapt for here, if anything. Certainly I'm not going to advocate we monitor people with drones like they did. Some of the other strategies could be helpful.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I would look at this but that would involve going to N and P.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:59 pm And yet I'm still glad I dont live in India. Huh.

FYI the article says they found contact tracing was essentially impossible.

The real question is what can we learn from this that we can adapt for here, if anything. Certainly I'm not going to advocate we monitor people with drones like they did. Some of the other strategies could be helpful.

From the Washington Post article:
City officials led by Dighavkar, the assistant municipal commissioner in charge of Dharavi, charted their own course. After identifying five areas reporting the most cases, they focused on screening every house for people with fever or low oxygen levels. Local doctors were enlisted to inspire confidence among residents.

Within 10 days, 47,000 people had been screened, and 400 symptomatic people were tested for the virus, with 20 percent turning out to be positive. An additional 4,000 people, including contacts and those with co-morbidities, were placed in institutional quarantine.

. . .

Health-care camps were set up in prominent locations in the slum where people could walk in and get a free test. Officials urged dozens of private clinics in the area to remain open so more cases could be detected. In turn, the government provided them with protective gear and daily sanitization.

. . .

In the afternoon, Walke would be at her clinic seeing a steady stream of patients, many of them worried they had contracted the virus. Details of suspected cases were shared with the civic agency for follow-up action. Nearly five dozen positive cases were identified through her clinic alone.

. . .

Hundreds of community toilets were sanitized three times a day. Soap and water supply was regularized.

The efforts paid off. The number of new cases in July was a fifth that of May. The recovery rate is over 80 percent, and the number of active cases is under 100.

“We chased the virus,” Dighavkar said, “instead of waiting for people to report it.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/as ... story.html
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:09 pm I would look at this but that would involve going to N and P.
Here are the link to the two articles:
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-07- ... demic.html
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/as ... story.html

I summarized the wapo article above this for those who don't have a subscription and can't read the article.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Well, seriously...ONE slum in India took charge. Good for them. But you seriously can’t compare that to the US, starting with population size. If you had said all of India vs all of the US, fine. You have a point. You can’t really compare what a small community was able to achieve versus a country of 350 million people.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Will you still be logging in on here when you settle in there? Enjoy your new slum life.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:23 pm Will you still be logging in on here when you settle in there? Enjoy your new slum life.
reported.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:40 pm Well, seriously...ONE slum in India took charge. Good for them. But you seriously can’t compare that to the US, starting with population size. If you had said all of India vs all of the US, fine. You have a point. You can’t really compare what a small community was able to achieve versus a country of 350 million people.
If one slum with limited resources could do that, then the US should be able to but we've got an incompetent ass as a leader who would rather ignore it.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

The problem here isn't Trump and as much as I can't stand him, he did try to restrict people coming and going from other countries and the woke crowd started screaming racism. The problem is selfish idiots who think they should be able to spread this virus and that staying home when they aren't working or grocery shopping and that wearing masks infringes on their rights, of all things. The president is an idiot but this one doesn't land on his doorstep.
Locked Previous topicNext topic