What is the difference between being a cynic, being bitter or being jaded?

Hot4Tchr-Bieg
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

To my way of thinking, being a cynic can just be how you are. You become bitter if something happened to make you that way. And you become jaded after repeated exposure to that which made you bitter.

?
Don't text while driving. Don''t text while stopped at stop signs and traffic lights. You're not a four year old...exercise some self-control.
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:49 pm What is the difference
A jaded person can see a stunningly beautiful painting and think "ho hum". It no longer thrills them with wonder.

A cynical person, seeing the same picture, will think "I wonder how much the artist is making per hour, by manipulating the viewer's emotions?"

A bitter person might think, "I could have been a painter if my parents hadn't taken me out of art school as a punishment for not washing the dishes fast enough for their taste. I hope the artist trips and puts their hand in a garbage disposal chute."
Anonymous 4

Unread post

I’ve had such a shitty childhood and young adulthood that I’m jaded to most things anymore. People stopped sharing their problems with me because I just don’t have the same outrage or sympathy that they want me to have. I’m not bitter and I don’t even think I’m cynical but I’m jaded towards everyday problems that most people get upset by. I don’t try to be mean and I’m never cynical about it in the way where I’m like shit happens everyday the world sucks and I make a serious effort to not compare but at the same time I can’t help but be bored with someone’s issues.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

It's easy to fall into any of the three categories. And yes, all three are a very negative lens with which to view life.

You'll often get reflected back what you put out in life. Your approach to people dictates how they'll deal with you in return.

There's being pragmatic and keeping your expectations realistic. That's a neutral position. Cynicism, bitter and jaded means you approach all situations expecting the worst. If that's what you go into things expecting, you'll rarely be disappointed.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Bubbs
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

It’s such a slippery slope
Because I vacillate between all 3 all the time

Negative, probably, but a lot of people are shaped by the circumstances of their life
Honey, I'm the original one-eyed chicklet in the kingdom of the blind, 'cause at least I admit the world makes me nuts.
Locked Previous topicNext topic