Drunk Man Shot by Police as He was Running Away

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

jessilin0113 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:26 pm
hockeymom87 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:36 pm
jessilin0113 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:15 am

Call a tow truck for the car and a cab for the drunk guy and mail him a citation.
That’s ridiculous. Everyone knows it’s against the law to drive drunk and if you get caught you go to jail. Who’s going to pay for the cab? I doubt the drunk will.
You guys are too wrapped up in how things are than how things could or should be. He doesnt need to be in jail for that. You only ever see one solution, and it's one that is clearly not working.The cops can pay for the cab, or tack it on to a citation. There could be a city fund for it. I guarantee it's a lot cheaper than the wrongful death suit that's coming down the pipe.
I think the process is fine and I got a DUI when I was young and partying my ass off. Going to jail was a consequence of my behavior and my actions justified more than just a citation because I could have killed someone or myself. It sucked but I was wrong and never did it again because I learned my lesson.

So it’s not so much that part for me, if the guy was driving drunk, he was in the wrong and should have been held accountable for it.

But the problem is they shot someone who was apparently pissy drunk, unarmed and running on foot when there should be other ways to resolve.
hockeymom87
Regent
Regent

Unread post

jessilin0113 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:15 am

Call a tow truck for the car and a cab for the drunk guy and mail him a citation.
That’s ridiculous. Everyone knows it’s against the law to drive drunk and if you get caught you go to jail. Who’s going to pay for the cab? I doubt the drunk will.
You guys are too wrapped up in how things are than how things could or should be. He doesnt need to be in jail for that. You only ever see one solution, and it's one that is clearly not working.The cops can pay for the cab, or tack it on to a citation. There could be a city fund for it. I guarantee it's a lot cheaper than the wrongful death suit that's coming down the pipe.
So raise taxes to pay for people’s bad behavior. Sometimes going to jail is a wake up call. This guy shouldn’t have died. But he also should have drove drunk, fought police, and stole a taser. Sleeping it off in a drunk take is better than just sending them home because what if they have another car and just go out again. And if they go out again and drive drunk that same night and kill someone people will say “why wasn’t something done to make sure he didn’t drive”
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:34 pm UPDATE: Here's a clearer video of Brooks running, the cops running after him and shooting him. Atlanta Police Chief Erika Shields has resigned. Cop gives the reason for shooting Brooks: Brooks pointed the taser at the cop as he ran. Last time I checked, a taser is not lethal (usually). These cops are too forking trigger happy.

The concern becomes that he'd be able to take the officer down with the tazer, then grab his side arm while he was disabled. Two people were unable to subdue him. There was quite a bit of physical wrestling and they still didn't exert undue force, as near as I can tell. They didn't start beating him because they were angry that he was fighting. They were legitimately trying to simply cuff him. All parties were cordial and polite leading up to when he tried to bolt and started fighting them. If he would have run off then some back for his car then kept driving, it would have been very dangerous. I truly believe they were simply trying to get him off the road.

He was so drunk he didn't know he was driving. Legitimately. Several times he said he wasn't driving. I was hit head on by a drunk driver who said they weren't driving, so I know how plowed you have to be in order for that to happen.

They'd talked to him for quite a while actually. He had no idea where he was. He thought he was somewhere completely different. Several times He said that. He was actually arguing with the officer.

He actually passed out in the car in the drive thru. The workers called 911. The officer who responded had to aggressively try to wake him so that he could get him out of the drive thru.

They've released the body cam footage. Everything was fine until he began wrestling the officers and grabbing their weapons.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:07 pm
I think the process is fine and I got a DUI when I was young and partying my ass off. Going to jail was a consequence of my behavior and my actions justified more than just a citation because I could have killed someone or myself. It sucked but I was wrong and never did it again because I learned my lesson.

So it’s not so much that part for me, if the guy was driving drunk, he was in the wrong and should have been held accountable for it.

But the problem is they shot someone who was apparently pissy drunk, unarmed and running on foot when there should be other ways to resolve.
I'd be inclined to disagree. I don't speak from personal experience but my friend got a DUI recently and has had her license suspended since November, and between her compliance requirements, court fees, cab expenses, and the general annoyance of not being able to drive when you need to, even she says she'd rather have spent a couple of nights in the slammer instead of this.

I agree with your last paragraph.
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

hockeymom87 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:17 pm
So raise taxes to pay for people’s bad behavior. Sometimes going to jail is a wake up call. This guy shouldn’t have died. But he also should have drove drunk, fought police, and stole a taser. Sleeping it off in a drunk take is better than just sending them home because what if they have another car and just go out again. And if they go out again and drive drunk that same night and kill someone people will say “why wasn’t something done to make sure he didn’t drive”
Give him an ankle monitor and one of those car breathalyzer and a probation officer. Cheaper than a wrongful death lawsuit
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Generally if you get caught with a DUI, you are taken to the precinct (sometimes given an additional blood test) and if you have someone who can or you can bail yourself out, you are given a temporary license (until your court date) and then you can go home.

This is actually one of the complaints about the whole system of bail. Those who can afford it are released and those who can't are continued to be detained.

IMO, if an offense is non-violent and someone could be released on $500 bail, there is no reason for anyone to be incarcerated for that crime.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:47 pm
BionicBunny wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:50 pm People need to change. Don’t fight the cops, comply, don’t run, don’t point weapons. This is how you get shot.
Cops are killing people who do comply, who don't run and don't point weapons. The system and the cops need to change.
More often people are acting like damn fools than there are a bunch of cops just going around killing people for no reason. You hear a lot about cops killing for no reason so much because of how the media puts it out there. Just like with this story. They paint it like a completely innocent incident where a cop just decides to pull his gun an shoot. The guy resisted, he fought the police and took a taser that he then pointed at the police when running away. If people wouldn’t act like this there would be a lot less shooting from the police.
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

jessilin0113 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:46 pm

Give him an ankle monitor and one of those car breathalyzer and a probation officer. Cheaper than a wrongful death lawsuit
You seriously think a drunk driver shouldn’t go to jail and should be put in a cab and sent home? What is wrong with people today? Do you have any idea how many people get killed by drunk drivers?
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:40 pm
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:34 pm UPDATE: Here's a clearer video of Brooks running, the cops running after him and shooting him. Atlanta Police Chief Erika Shields has resigned. Cop gives the reason for shooting Brooks: Brooks pointed the taser at the cop as he ran. Last time I checked, a taser is not lethal (usually). These cops are too forking trigger happy.

The concern becomes that he'd be able to take the officer down with the tazer, then grab his side arm while he was disabled. Two people were unable to subdue him. There was quite a bit of physical wrestling and they still didn't exert undue force, as near as I can tell. They didn't start beating him because they were angry that he was fighting. They were legitimately trying to simply cuff him. All parties were cordial and polite leading up to when he tried to bolt and started fighting them. If he would have run off then some back for his car then kept driving, it would have been very dangerous. I truly believe they were simply trying to get him off the road.

He was so drunk he didn't know he was driving. Legitimately. Several times he said he wasn't driving. I was hit head on by a drunk driver who said they weren't driving, so I know how plowed you have to be in order for that to happen.

They'd talked to him for quite a while actually. He had no idea where he was. He thought he was somewhere completely different. Several times He said that. He was actually arguing with the officer.

He actually passed out in the car in the drive thru. The workers called 911. The officer who responded had to aggressively try to wake him so that he could get him out of the drive thru.

They've released the body cam footage. Everything was fine until he began wrestling the officers and grabbing their weapons.
I disagree. There were two cops and one drunk guy running away. Even if he had hit the other cop with the taser, he was still running away.
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I will never understand why people defend criminals who act like total dumb asses and put themselves in a situation that an officer has to pull their gun. Play stupid games you get stupid prizes.
Im so tired of this shit show for these poor officers. I hope officers in these problem areas go on strike until their lives and jobs are taken seriously. Everyone wants to hate cops now? Let the fuckers fend for themselves.
Locked Previous topicNext topic