Drunk Man Shot by Police as He was Running Away

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:56 pm
Lemons wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:30 pm
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:34 pm UPDATE: Here's a clearer video of Brooks running, the cops running after him and shooting him. Atlanta Police Chief Erika Shields has resigned. Cop gives the reason for shooting Brooks: Brooks pointed the taser at the cop as he ran. Last time I checked, a taser is not lethal (usually). These cops are too forking trigger happy.

To be fair though, if the suspect had been able to taser the cop and incapacitate him he could then get a hold of his real gun.
There were TWO cops, so unless the other cop was not paying attention, I don't think there is much of a chance. And the guy was running away.
He turned around and aimed the taser gun at the cop. When someone aims a weapon at a cop that’s what happens, right or wrong. He went from unarmed and harmless to armed and dangerous. Police gun down people who aim for them and race isn’t an issue at this point. They’ve shot people dead just holding a knife.
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Why does a drunk dude sleeping in his car warrant an armed cop showing up?
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

jessilin0113 wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:53 pm Why does a drunk dude sleeping in his car warrant an armed cop showing up?
BECAUSE......

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI), which is investigating the shooting, said the deadly confrontation started with officers responding to a complaint that a man was sleeping in a car blocking the restaurant’s drive-thru lane. The GBI said Brooks failed a field sobriety test and then resisted officers’ attempts to arrest him.The Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI), which is investigating the shooting, said the deadly confrontation started with officers responding to a complaint that a man was sleeping in a car blocking the restaurant’s drive-thru lane. The GBI said Brooks failed a field sobriety test and then resisted officers’ attempts to arrest him.
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

You all should be happy as clams. Now that Wendy's is burning to the ground. Another innocent's livelihood, savings, employees jobs, everything up in smoke.
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Mommamia wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:02 pm
jessilin0113 wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:53 pm Why does a drunk dude sleeping in his car warrant an armed cop showing up?
BECAUSE......

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI), which is investigating the shooting, said the deadly confrontation started with officers responding to a complaint that a man was sleeping in a car blocking the restaurant’s drive-thru lane. The GBI said Brooks failed a field sobriety test and then resisted officers’ attempts to arrest him.The Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI), which is investigating the shooting, said the deadly confrontation started with officers responding to a complaint that a man was sleeping in a car blocking the restaurant’s drive-thru lane. The GBI said Brooks failed a field sobriety test and then resisted officers’ attempts to arrest him.
I don't think they needed to arrest him. Take him home and let him sober up and then issue a citation. No need to escalate what was originally a pretty mild situation. A lot of shit we call the cops for could be decriminalized, including this.
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

jessilin0113 wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:23 pm
BECAUSE......

I don't think they needed to arrest him. Take him home and let him sober up and then issue a citation. No need to escalate what was originally a pretty mild situation. A lot of shit we call the cops for could be decriminalized, including this.
Reality, Jes, Reality. It is not any cops job to take drunk drivers home then visit them the next day to give them a citation. They don't have enough time to do what they have to do, let alone play nice to some drunk. Drunk driving is against the law. If you fail a field sobriety test, it is their job to haul your drunk ass to jail, ticket you, then you call someone to come get you out of jail.

I honestly don't see how you function in the real world. Or do you?
Deleted User 203

Unread post

Realizing before I am writing this that I can easily confirm this on my own, but my son just told me about THIS story only a half-hour ago and said that the drunk man attempted to grab a taser gun from one of the officer's? Is this true?

However, why did they have to shoot him? How many times did they shoot him and WHERE (location on his body) did they shoot him?
KendallsMom
Spoiled SAHM
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:45 pm
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:56 pm
Lemons wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:30 pm

To be fair though, if the suspect had been able to taser the cop and incapacitate him he could then get a hold of his real gun.
There were TWO cops, so unless the other cop was not paying attention, I don't think there is much of a chance. And the guy was running away.
He turned around and aimed the taser gun at the cop. When someone aims a weapon at a cop that’s what happens, right or wrong. He went from unarmed and harmless to armed and dangerous. Police gun down people who aim for them and race isn’t an issue at this point. They’ve shot people dead just holding a knife.
Wrong.

A taser is not a lethal weapon. That's why cops use them first (usually). A gun is. Why kill someone who couldn't kill you? That's bringing a gun to a fist fight. Completely unnecessary and abuse of power.
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Mommamia wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:33 pm
jessilin0113 wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:23 pm

BECAUSE......

Reality, Jes, Reality. It is not any cops job to take drunk drivers home then visit them the next day to give them a citation. They don't have enough time to do what they have to do, let alone play nice to some drunk. Drunk driving is against the law. If you fail a field sobriety test, it is their job to haul your drunk ass to jail, ticket you, then you call someone to come get you out of jail.

I honestly don't see how you function in the real world. Or do you?
They dont have enough time to do what they need to do (solve violent crimes, which they are terrible at), *because* they are called for stupid shit like this. Jail is overused. This guy wasn't driving drunk at the time, let the fire department or paramedics take him home, and mail him a F***ing ticket. Then a dude isn't dead and the cops can focus on actual crimes.
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

AZLizardLady wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:59 pm Realizing before I am writing this that I can easily confirm this on my own, but my son just told me about THIS story only a half-hour ago and said that the drunk man attempted to grab a taser gun from one of the officer's? Is this true?

However, why did they have to shoot him? How many times did they shoot him and WHERE (location on his body) did they shoot him?
He did get a taser off of one of the cops, ran then turned around and aimed it at them. It was dark, how were the cops to know for sure what was in his hand. That was what was reported about an hour ago. Now, the article is reading that he was shot while fighting with the cop over the stun gun.

Maybe there will be something a little clearer to understand tomorrow.
Locked Previous topicNext topic