Just 48 hours of the Autozone communist utopia's existence...

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Deleted User 1616

Unread post

illegally seizing public land as your own is not a "commune".
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

jas wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:26 pm
Lemons wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:35 pm
Frau Holle wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:32 pm

It’s always great at the beginning, but you ever watch the until end of those “ we made our own commune” stories?

Everyone always ends up dead or with a lifetime special going over their experience.
You’re thinking of religious cults. Put religion in these situations and the crazy comes out.
The crazy has already come out just by what they're doing.
It’s a bunch of mostly college aged people protesting and wanting change. It’s ridiculous for anyone, including them, to think it’s a permanent thing.

In the 60,s college students took over buildings, created communes, protested war. Some of the old people were horrified back then, just like so many are right now. I’m happy to see them talking about mental health and social services and not just police issues. Too many people uninsured, can’t get the help they need and end up on the street, in trouble.
Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:45 pm
Frau Holle wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:39 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:36 pm

I've never known police to be called. These communes tend to watch over and police their own. Honestly, I've never heard of any violence.
I’d be wary of that then.

In a group of more than a few thousand people, there never being reports of any violence is usually due it being covered up than not occurring.
Oh goodness. We're talking about communes in my county of between 25-50 people. I agree that a few thousand would be a bit more problematic. I am the local farmers market manager and most of our vendors live on one of the multiple communes in our county. They are generally farming communes.

I would add that we have property in another county in the middle of a large Amish community. Police generally aren't called and don't police that area. While we have never noticed any violent crime, we do think that there is domestic and child abuse that is going unreported.
The Amish have an extreme sense of monoculture and also do not allow immorality within the community without being actively “fixed”.

I don’t think a group of multi cultured people could achieve the regimented lifestyle they require.
“ I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night “ - Sarah Williams
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Deleted User 1577

Unread post

This is reading like a dystopian novel....
Deleted User 203

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:11 pm
AZLizardLady wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:10 am It's true that the MSM is trying to paint a much more pleasant ("it's like a street festival") atmosphere than what many who are ACTUALLY THERE are stating they're experiencing in this ridiculous Autonomous City...or whatever the F they wish to refer to themselves as.

What people are going through in the six block part of Seattle is not akin to Woodstock or the Burning Man festival.

This is serious and it's alarming.
Mainstream definition- ideas, activities, attitudes that are regarded as normal or conventional. So if you aren’t mainstream you are unconventional, you don’t agree with the ideas and attitudes of the vast majority in the middle.

Do you consider yourself extremist right wing, super left wing? You seem to hate conventional thinking.
When someone's argument includes the words "the vast majority," I have to wonder if they're more inclined to think on their own or follow the herd.

I am not an extremist. In today's society, there are different definitions for the term conventional thinking and no, I don't always agree with how the herd thinks.
Deleted User 203

Unread post

No, I haven't. The daughter (and her boyfriend) of a close former high school friend is living in those 6 blocks of the occupation. They have a completely different take from what is being presented by some in the media to even those who are attempting to defend this.

It's not a festival (I repeat ad nauseam).

moviestar wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:24 pm Oh, have you been?

AZLizardLady wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:21 pm And when you're a journalist who has a tendency to write in a slanted manner to begin with, everything will be coming up roses if you're in support of an agenda and/or want to create a different version for headlines.

This that is going on there is not a festival.

moviestar wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:38 am you know that the journalists who wrote the “mainstream” articles were ACTUALLY THERE too right? going to the place you are reporting about is pretty often a big part of journalism.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

AZLizardLady wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:26 am
AZLizardLady wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:10 am It's true that the MSM is trying to paint a much more pleasant ("it's like a street festival") atmosphere than what many who are ACTUALLY THERE are stating they're experiencing in this ridiculous Autonomous City...or whatever the F they wish to refer to themselves as.

What people are going through in the six block part of Seattle is not akin to Woodstock or the Burning Man festival.

This is serious and it's alarming.
Mainstream definition- ideas, activities, attitudes that are regarded as normal or conventional. So if you aren’t mainstream you are unconventional, you don’t agree with the ideas and attitudes of the vast majority in the middle.

Do you consider yourself extremist right wing, super left wing? You seem to hate conventional thinking.
When someone's argument includes the words "the vast majority," I have to wonder if they're more inclined to think on their own or follow the herd.

I am not an extremist. In today's society, there are different definitions for the term conventional thinking and no, I don't always agree with how the herd thinks.
I don’t always agree with the majority either. It’s just that you call conventional news sites with reputations for excellence as “mainstream” in a sarcastic way that Sarah Palin used to and now Trump does. That it’s an insult to be part of the mainstream. I just don’t understand.
Deleted User 203

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:03 am
AZLizardLady wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:26 am

I don’t always agree with the majority either. It’s just that you call conventional news sites with reputations for excellence as “mainstream” in a sarcastic way that Sarah Palin used to and now Trump does. That it’s an insult to be part of the mainstream. I just don’t understand.
Of course you understand, Lemons, but you simply don't agree.

"Reputations for excellence" would be WHICH ones, in your opinion? CNN with its low ratings? Same with MSNBC...both of which have been accused of and even caught fabricating stories?

They are referred to as "mainstream" by many and because they are. Mainstream doesn't always imply correct reporting or upright, straightforward and unbiased journalism.
moviestar
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I mean, they don’t all have names? At least not names you recognize, I guess. I stayed at one for several months when I was pregnant with my oldest and it didn’t have a name, it was just some property owned by some old hippies. I emerged decidedly un-traumatized, in fact I have quite fond memories of the place, which still exists and has not to my knowledge inspired any lifetime specials. I think maybe you’re thinking all communes are cult communes, like Waco or something? They aren’t. not even all of the religious ones ever have anything happen to make them newsworthy.

I found this directory which lists over 700 in the US and another 300+ abroad: https://www.ic.org/directory/intentiona ... y-country/. That probably isn't a comprehensive list since many of them don’t really do internet marketing. They are more common than you probably think and definitely do not all lead to trauma, madness and tragedy.
Frau Holle wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:15 pm Name one...

Can’t have ended in massacre, mass suicide, child abuse or so much drug use that no one know what reality was.
moviestar wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:25 pm That is definitely not true...
Frau Holle wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:32 pm

It’s always great at the beginning, but you ever watch the until end of those “ we made our own commune” stories?

Everyone always ends up dead or with a lifetime special going over their experience.
Locked Previous topicNext topic