Obama stands by using the term "thugs" to describe protesters

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Carpy wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:55 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:28 pm I figured someone would eventually post this to excuse people saying it now, including Trump.

Unfortunately that doesn’t fly because Obama was F***ing wrong too and it does not give anyone a pass to call us thugs because he did.
When did thug become a racist term? When I imagine a thug, it's a white guy needing a shave who does the dirty work for mobsters.
I don’t remember the word thug ever used in a mob movie. Maybe in history it was used to describe low level criminals. But meanings of words change.

Trump crossed the line with talking about bringing out the dogs in DC. Anyone who made it middle school has seen the pictures of black people pushed against walls by dogs during the civil rights movement. Not looters, but peaceful protesters.

He’s writing these Tweets directly to his base. He’s not capable of uniting a country during a crisis. The country is a mess and he’s hiding behind his Tweets.
Deleted User 1583

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:56 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:28 pm I figured someone would eventually post this to excuse people saying it now, including Trump.

Unfortunately that doesn’t fly because Obama was F***ing wrong too and it does not give anyone a pass to call us thugs because he did.
When did thug become a racist term? When I imagine a thug, it's a white guy needing a shave who does the dirty work for mobsters.
I don’t remember the word thug ever used in a mob movie. Maybe in history it was used to describe low level criminals. But meanings of words change.

Trump crossed the line with talking about bringing out the dogs in DC. Anyone who made it middle school has seen the pictures of black people pushed against walls by dogs during the civil rights movement. Not looters, but peaceful protesters.

He’s writing these Tweets directly to his base. He’s not capable of uniting a country during a crisis. The country is a mess and he’s hiding behind his Tweets.
He's doing better than the virtue signaling dem leaders of these cities who are bending over and taking it in the ass.
Deleted User 1583

Unread post

the dems/msm encourage this

pretend its an "organic" movement, praise it.

people start dying, incalculable damage is done.

the dems/msm blame right wingers, make up conspiracy theory that white supremacists are dressing up like antifa losers in order to trick black people into rioting and looting.

avoid taking ANY responsibility for any of this.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

That's exactly my image - a Mafioso type that's gonna come break your legs and bust your head. Maybe it's because I'm Italian that's where I go? LOL
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

LittleMermaid wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 2:44 am

He's doing better than the virtue signaling dem leaders of these cities who are bending over and taking it in the ass.
I'm absolutely stunned that the Minneapolis Mayor didn't step in and do anything. Just allowed the city to literally burn. Just took his hands off and allowed these people in the street to continue to do what they were doing. Just watched. How can any residents ever feel safe there again?
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 4:34 am

I'm absolutely stunned that the Minneapolis Mayor didn't step in and do anything. Just allowed the city to literally burn. Just took his hands off and allowed these people in the street to continue to do what they were doing. Just watched. How can any residents ever feel safe there again?
Any governor, or representative who didn't protect their communities and let the riots break out, should be voted out or forced out. If your governor allowed cities, communities and neighborhoods be destroyed, looted and vandalized, you need to vote them out, or force them out. This is unacceptable leadership. If your governor or other representatives forced people to close their businesses during the pandemic and didn't protect those businesses during these riots, please vote them out.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I don't ever remember it being used in any of those old movies daddy and I watched, and I never heard him or his old buddys use it. But I can remember seeing it used out of context in comment sections of different types of media platforms in the mid 2000's.

"Be mindful of the term thug on its own. Using the term thug to describe a black person can be interpreted as a racial slur. Barack Obama, for instance, controversially called April 2015 Baltimore rioters thugs. Famous figures such as Seattle Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman have spoken out against the term’s use, saying that calling someone a thug “seems like it’s the accepted way of calling somebody the N word nowadays.” However, in some Black communities, a thug is a positive, in-group identifier. "

https://www.dictionary.com/e/slang/thug-life/
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Lexy wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:56 am
Valentina327 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 4:34 am

Any governor, or representative who didn't protect their communities and let the riots break out, should be voted out or forced out. If your governor allowed cities, communities and neighborhoods be destroyed, looted and vandalized, you need to vote them out, or force them out. This is unacceptable leadership. If your governor or other representatives forced people to close their businesses during the pandemic and didn't protect those businesses during these riots, please vote them out.
EXACTLY. Between "the virus" and this, I think we're getting a great window into who we don't want in office. Many of these people are unfit to lead.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Are Scarface and the Untouchables not mob movies?
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:41 pm
BionicBunny wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:34 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:18 pm

Us = Black community. I have a masters BB, I know the definition of the word thug and I also know people stereotypically call us that.

I have only left my house to her my nails done and a
Starbucks, not riot.
Again, thug is not a racial word for the black community. 😂
I really don’t care about your opinion on this and it won’t change my mind. No matter how many emojis you put behind it.
It’s not an opinion.
Locked Previous topicNext topic