Obama stands by using the term "thugs" to describe protesters

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

BionicBunny wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:00 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:28 pm I figured someone would eventually post this to excuse people saying it now, including Trump.

Unfortunately that doesn’t fly because Obama was F***ing wrong too and it does not give anyone a pass to call us thugs because he did.
“Us”? Are you saying you have been rioting? Or are you claiming people are calling lol black people thugs?
No the thugs would be the violent people doing criminals acts like setting places on fire and looting. A thug is a violent criminal. These people are violent and they are criminals.
Us = Black community. I have a masters BB, I know the definition of the word thug and I also know people stereotypically call us that.

I have only left my house to her my nails done and a
Starbucks, not riot.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Mommamia wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:07 pm
BionicBunny wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:01 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:23 pm

When people started to use the word “thug” as a code word for Black people. Like when Hillary called us super predators back in the day and thought we forgot.

Hope that makes sense Carp.
So are you saying our previous president, our first black president, was being racist and using the word thug as a “ code word”?
Oh no. Don't you know that black people can't be racist?
That’s not true. Anyone can be racist.
hockeymom87
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anyone from any race can be a thug. It’s not a race it’s how an individual acts
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:16 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:23 pm

When people started to use the word “thug” as a code word for Black people. Like when Hillary called us super predators back in the day and thought we forgot.

Hope that makes sense Carp.
So are you saying our previous president, our first black president, was being racist and using the word thug as a “ code word”?
No, racism by definition is towards a different race, not your own. I disagree with using those type of terms, knowing that some use it in a racist context and it gives the impression that it’s okay to call us names like that when it’s not.
Thug is not a racial slur. It doesn’t matter if “ some” use it in a racist context. It doesn’t make the word racist. Someone could call a black person a turd. It doesn’t make the word turd a racist word. I don’t even think of race when I think of the word thug. I think of a violent criminal because that is the meaning of the word. There are violent criminals of all different colors. And you don’t get to choose what the word suddenly means because “ some” have used it in racial terms.
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:18 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:28 pm I figured someone would eventually post this to excuse people saying it now, including Trump.

Unfortunately that doesn’t fly because Obama was F***ing wrong too and it does not give anyone a pass to call us thugs because he did.
“Us”? Are you saying you have been rioting? Or are you claiming people are calling lol black people thugs?
No the thugs would be the violent people doing criminals acts like setting places on fire and looting. A thug is a violent criminal. These people are violent and they are criminals.
Us = Black community. I have a masters BB, I know the definition of the word thug and I also know people stereotypically call us that.

Starbucks, not riot.
Again, thug is not a racial word for the black community. 😂
HanSolo
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

hockeymom87 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:21 pm Anyone from any race can be a thug. It’s not a race it’s how an individual acts
But anything anyone that Liberals don’t approve of says is racist. You know that.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

BionicBunny wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:34 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:18 pm

Starbucks, not riot.
Again, thug is not a racial word for the black community. 😂
I really don’t care about your opinion on this and it won’t change my mind. No matter how many emojis you put behind it.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

HanSolo wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:34 pm
hockeymom87 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:21 pm Anyone from any race can be a thug. It’s not a race it’s how an individual acts
But anything anyone that Liberals don’t approve of says is racist. You know that.
I’m not a liberal, so it’s not just the left who takes issue with this.

Edit: And both sides do that as it was easy for the right to understand why Hillary’s super predator comment was racist but this seems to difficult to understand.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

BionicBunny wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:31 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:16 pm

No, racism by definition is towards a different race, not your own. I disagree with using those type of terms, knowing that some use it in a racist context and it gives the impression that it’s okay to call us names like that when it’s not.
Thug is not a racial slur. It doesn’t matter if “ some” use it in a racist context. It doesn’t make the word racist. Someone could call a black person a turd. It doesn’t make the word turd a racist word. I don’t even think of race when I think of the word thug. I think of a violent criminal because that is the meaning of the word. There are violent criminals of all different colors. And you don’t get to choose what the word suddenly means because “ some” have used it in racial terms.
Yes, context can make certain terms or actions racist. And that choice is made by people who use it as such, not me.
hockeymom87
Regent
Regent

Unread post

HanSolo wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:34 pm
Then they can take it up with the dictionary. It just means a violent criminal. It doesn’t have a race
Locked Previous topicNext topic