Obama stands by using the term "thugs" to describe protesters

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Deleted User 1583

Unread post

President Obama doesn't regret using the term "thug" in describing the violent rioters in Baltimore this week, spokesman Josh Earnest said Wednesday.

"Whether it's arson or, you know, the looting of a liquor store ... those were thuggish acts," Earnest said.

In discussing the riots Tuesday, Obama assailed the "criminals and thugs who tore up the place," and described them as a distraction from the real issues of police brutality.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/theoval/ ... /26585143/
Deleted User 1583

Unread post

SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I figured someone would eventually post this to excuse people saying it now, including Trump.

Unfortunately that doesn’t fly because Obama was F***ing wrong too and it does not give anyone a pass to call us thugs because he did.
Carpy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:28 pm I figured someone would eventually post this to excuse people saying it now, including Trump.

Unfortunately that doesn’t fly because Obama was F***ing wrong too and it does not give anyone a pass to call us thugs because he did.
When did thug become a racist term? When I imagine a thug, it's a white guy needing a shave who does the dirty work for mobsters.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Carpy wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:55 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:28 pm I figured someone would eventually post this to excuse people saying it now, including Trump.

When did thug become a racist term? When I imagine a thug, it's a white guy needing a shave who does the dirty work for mobsters.
When people started to use the word “thug” as a code word for Black people. Like when Hillary called us super predators back in the day and thought we forgot.

Hope that makes sense Carp.
HanSolo
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

This has always been my vision of a thug too. A white guy bully type. 🤷‍♀️
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

“Us”? Are you saying you have been rioting? Or are you claiming people are calling lol black people thugs?
No the thugs would be the violent people doing criminals acts like setting places on fire and looting. A thug is a violent criminal. These people are violent and they are criminals.
Attachments
EDB34D47-9328-45BA-82E5-106090F1F84E.jpeg
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:23 pm

When people started to use the word “thug” as a code word for Black people. Like when Hillary called us super predators back in the day and thought we forgot.

So are you saying our previous president, our first black president, was being racist and using the word thug as a “ code word”?
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

BionicBunny wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:01 pm

So are you saying our previous president, our first black president, was being racist and using the word thug as a “ code word”?
Oh no. Don't you know that black people can't be racist?
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

BionicBunny wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:01 pm

No, racism by definition is towards a different race, not your own. I disagree with using those type of terms, knowing that some use it in a racist context and it gives the impression that it’s okay to call us names like that when it’s not.
Locked Previous topicNext topic