Anyone living in Arizona?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

I have a friend of mine, single mother of 3, who has a job opportunity in Arizona around the Flagstaff area. She is hesitant about moving there because she heard so many bad things about some of the areas in Arizona. Bad school systems, high crime rate, drug infested areas (though we have that in some areas here too). But she is looking at a good job in a feild she had been trying to get into, and she loves how pretty AZ is. Is the Flagstaff area really as bad as some people say? What are some good areas for a single mother to move to? She is willing to commute up to an hour.
She will be moving from Texas (Dallas) and would like to know of the differences she should know about... i.e. the weather, how the people are, things she needs to know about, that sort of thing.
So if anyone can give her any insight on any of this to kind of ease her worries. She's never lived out of state before and will be moving alone with her kids ages 8,10, and 14.
lauren08
Regent
Regent

Unread post

One of my good friends lives in Scottsdale (outside of Phoenix) and has young kids. They love it there. Her only complaint is the heat. Idk about Flagstaff. DH and I drove through there when visiting Sedona, and there didn’t seem to be much there. Sedona was beautiful, but not sure otherwise.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

lauren08 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:42 pm One of my good friends lives in Scottsdale (outside of Phoenix) and has young kids. They love it there. Her only complaint is the heat. Idk about Flagstaff. DH and I drove through there when visiting Sedona, and there didn’t seem to be much there. Sedona was beautiful, but not sure otherwise.
I've never experienced AZ heat but I hear it gets hot there. But personally from what I heard is that it's a dry heat... Oh! I would kill for a dry heat! Lol. I HATE our summers here in Texas. The humidity hikes that heat index up and it unbearable. And it kicks our ACs butt every year. I bet dry heat is easier to deal with. On the minor occasions we get dry heat while temps are in the 100s, it's so much better and you don't burn as easy.
I'm not sure exactly where Flagstaff is, but I know it's somewhere closer to norther AZ. I heard in some areas they get a little snow. Not sure where, but maybe there are areas like that close to Flagstaff?
Thanks for sharing!
Anonymous 2

Unread post

There are good and bad areas in every state.
Good luck to her.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:58 pm There are good and bad areas in every state.
Good luck to her.
That is true! Thank you!
lauren08
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:58 pm
lauren08 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:42 pm One of my good friends lives in Scottsdale (outside of Phoenix) and has young kids. They love it there. Her only complaint is the heat. Idk about Flagstaff. DH and I drove through there when visiting Sedona, and there didn’t seem to be much there. Sedona was beautiful, but not sure otherwise.
I've never experienced AZ heat but I hear it gets hot there. But personally from what I heard is that it's a dry heat... Oh! I would kill for a dry heat! Lol. I HATE our summers here in Texas. The humidity hikes that heat index up and it unbearable. And it kicks our ACs butt every year. I bet dry heat is easier to deal with. On the minor occasions we get dry heat while temps are in the 100s, it's so much better and you don't burn as easy.
I'm not sure exactly where Flagstaff is, but I know it's somewhere closer to norther AZ. I heard in some areas they get a little snow. Not sure where, but maybe there are areas like that close to Flagstaff?
Thanks for sharing!
Yes, it is a dry heat! She says she much prefers that to humid heat. She said Sedona is only about 45 mins to Flagstaff and is pretty safe. It’s very scenic, and it’s mostly retired couples and older folks living there. She also said she’d recommend to anyone moving to AZ to look into a house with a pool — even if an in-ground pool is out of budget, a blow-up pool will do just fine to cut that heat! Good luck to your friend!
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Flagstaff is in Northern Arizona. It does get snow, Snowbowl is in Flagstaff. There was still some snow when we moved dd out of her dorm in April. As far as schools, couldn’t tell you, never lived there and dd is at the university. It’s a combination tourist town/college town. CoL seems high to me, rent is higher than where we live, groceries, but gas is cheaper. DD’s opinion is crime is comparatively high for being a more rural area.
Oliviasmom72
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I’m in Gilbert AZ. Been here for 40 years. Everyone is moving out here. With that said housing is going way up. Flagstaff is less than 2 hrs north of Phx. Much cooler. Limited housing due to NAU so she will be paying probably more than Dallas. School systems are improving but not great. Crime is no worse than anywhere else. Flagstaff is beautiful and cold in the winter. Lots of snow. It does get warm in the summer but not scorching hot like Phx area.

Good luck to your friend
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Flagstaff is nice. The valley is horrible and disgusting. It's full of nothing but trash. 120 degree weather all the time in the summer. You have to be fucked up in the head to actually live in the valley.
Deleted User 203

Unread post

Locked Previous topicNext topic