Financial impact of COVID on employers

Bubbs
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I hope you will be okay.
I work for a huge company, they don't share a lot unless it has to be public. They didn't close, so I don't know how much has changed.
Honey, I'm the original one-eyed chicklet in the kingdom of the blind, 'cause at least I admit the world makes me nuts.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

I'm self employed, a few of my clients have kept me on , some have postponed everything until this is all done. Thankfully dh has kept on working right through all this.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:47 pm MY husband is an employer and for the first month he paid his employees without work. It’s been tough because they’re spending money that’s not being productive. It’s not like me paying my cleaning lady, which I would be doing anyway if she was coming in and I don’t have any real loss. But in the case of a factory like my husband’s, money spent is supposed to go for production and earnings, not just thrown away.
For this past 2 weeks they’ve been able to restart production but very carefully. They have different stations come in to work on different days so the factory is pretty much empty on a daily basis with just the handful of workers in one station. Of course, all workers have to wear masks and keep a distance. Offices are closed.
My sil, who’s the administrator is torn because from an administrative point, it’s terrible to spend unproductive money. But she can’t leave the people hanging and neither can DH and my fil. But at least now some production is coming out.
Do you have anything like unemployment in Mexico?

Has the government done any virus relief packages as they have here?
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

My company is huge, and still operating, but we've taken a big blow. This pandemic is expensive - to implement safety and sanitization measures, make special accomodations for people who cant work, people working from home, a lot of lost productivity.

We'll come out of everything in tact but I predict little in the way of annual raises next year. And people are going to flip when that comes. There is also talk about taking away some of our Christmas holiday. That might start a revolt :/

People seem to think there are endless pots of money out there in the ether that some people are hoarding. The company, the government... All they can say is the company execs only care about getting their bonuses. But they aren't getting any bonuses.
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Dylexsmommy wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 5:55 pm
LiveWhatULove wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 5:47 pm
Dylexsmommy wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 4:06 pm I'm still working. They had to postpone my retro raise and the top exec's took a paycut.
All in all, still glad to be working.
You've been really busy, haven't you? I don't see you post much anymore, unless you're going anon.
Yes, been busy. Finished a semester, changed my major yet again, planning how I'm going to move to Costa Rica with my kids, been doing home schooling jazz.
How you doing?

What have you decided to study? I remember you talking about graphic design or something like that.
Deleted User 172

Unread post

Smarties wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 11:04 am
LiveWhatULove wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 5:47 pm

You've been really busy, haven't you? I don't see you post much anymore, unless you're going anon.
Yes, been busy. Finished a semester, changed my major yet again, planning how I'm going to move to Costa Rica with my kids, been doing home schooling jazz.
How you doing?

What have you decided to study? I remember you talking about graphic design or something like that.
Web and graphic design and development. Something i can do from anywhere in the world as long as I have an internet connection. I had originally started a boring business degree, then i realized a business degree would be boring as shit.
I want to live life on my own terms and not be restricted by corporate bullshit.
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Dylexsmommy wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 11:53 am
Smarties wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 11:04 am

How you doing?

Web and graphic design and development. Something i can do from anywhere in the world as long as I have an internet connection. I had originally started a boring business degree, then i realized a business degree would be boring as shit.
I want to live life on my own terms and not be restricted by corporate bullshit.

Glad to hear you're going with this! Its a great field and I'm sure you'll be successful with it.
Vegaswife2011
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Dh was working from home, now he’s back to work. No real changes for us.
lauren08
Regent
Regent

Unread post

DH and I have been teleworking since the pandemic began. My job is fairly easy to do from home since I am on a computer at work all day anyway. I hope you guys will be okay.
Kikibix
Countess
Countess

Unread post

In the beginning they used it as an excuse to get rid of people that weren’t really wanted, then they went to layoffs and voluntary layoffs with the idea of recalling those people when business picks up. The accounts i normally deal with have slowed down so I am helping out wherever I can in other areas. Our company has been able to transition to helping supply Covid related products to help other businesses reopen and that’s what’s been keeping us going. I think we will make it but it’s scary. I think more layoffs might come and the recalls also won’t necessarily come for all departments.
Locked Previous topicNext topic