Financial impact of COVID on employers

Deleted User 172

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 5:47 pm
Dylexsmommy wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 4:06 pm I'm still working. They had to postpone my retro raise and the top exec's took a paycut.
All in all, still glad to be working.
You've been really busy, haven't you? I don't see you post much anymore, unless you're going anon.
Yes, been busy. Finished a semester, changed my major yet again, planning how I'm going to move to Costa Rica with my kids, been doing home schooling jazz.
How you doing?
Lotus
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 4:13 pm
Lotus wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:31 pm I am a recruiter I work with one other person. I am very nervous.
I have some steady work in food manufacturing, they have not slowed down their hiring process. I do remember during the subprime mortgage debacle of '08 it took almost two years before we felt the impact to where we almost closed our doors.

I hope you and your family are OK. Very uncertain times.
DH is a recruiter and he was laid off mid April because their one huge client was one of the big banks in the US, and the bank stopped hiring so there was nothing left to recruit for. At least not enough, so they laid off several from his office.
But he's been finding jobs to apply for and has been getting interviews so here's hoping something comes through.

Around '08, '09, DH was laid off because his company was bought out by another, and with the way the economy was then it took him 18 months to find another job. That was horrible. This has only been one month so far. I'm not too worried yet.

thnx you for sharing. I will definitely keep you guys in my thoughts.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Dylexsmommy wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 5:55 pm
Dylexsmommy wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 4:06 pm I'm still working. They had to postpone my retro raise and the top exec's took a paycut.
All in all, still glad to be working.
You've been really busy, haven't you? I don't see you post much anymore, unless you're going anon.
Yes, been busy. Finished a semester, changed my major yet again, planning how I'm going to move to Costa Rica with my kids, been doing home schooling jazz.
How you doing?
Hanging in there a day at a time!

Are you really moving to Costa Rica?
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 4:01 pm I work as a substitute in my school district and I was hoping to get a permanent position but that may not happen if it ever does We were on a hiring freeze right before all of this happened and it looks like the hiring freeze will continue and some jobs will have to be eliminated. My mom retired from the nursing home she worked at for 33 years, she was going to wait a few months but ended up with the flu and pneumonia which ended up in a 4 day hospital stay. Her dr kept putting her off so she decided just to retire as she has a compromised immune system. My mom posted an article from the ceo mentioning how they were majorly struggling and the state mandating that they test all employees twice a day to the cost of about 60,000 a week doesn't help. They were saying how they need federal money to stay open and may not get it.
I hope you mom is feeling better!

I am sorry about the sub job.
Deleted User 172

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:53 am

How you doing?

Yes. I dream of one day living in a small beach house, working from home making American money and immersing myself in a brand new culture.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Dylexsmommy wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:26 am

How you doing?

Yes. I dream of one day living in a small beach house, working from home making American money and immersing myself in a brand new culture.
Have you read “get your sh*t together” by Sarah knight? She moved to an island & is a US author. You plan is reminiscent!
Deleted User 172

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:32 am
Dylexsmommy wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:26 am

Have you read “get your sh*t together” by Sarah knight? She moved to an island & is a US author. You plan is reminiscent!
Not yet. I've been reading The Miracle Morning by Hal Elrod. And I'm just like WTF is my excuse?! I'll find that book and give it a read too.
Rebeccaraev2
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I was able to pay my employees through the shutdown. The company did however terminate several managers across the country and released many that hadn’t been with us not quite 90 days. My “A team” has returned to work in the past 2 weeks.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

I live in Canada where the government is giving businesses a subsidy for payroll (75% of the employees average pay). All of us have had our hours cut by at least 75% and the owner has decided he's taking the subsidy but won't be topping anyone up. So he gets us working for him for free and we bare the brunt of the businesses, loss. I havent' finished the numbers yet but it looks like, after payroll is recalculated, the owner is doing BETTER financially this year than last for the same quarter.

When this is over I'll be looking for a new job.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:35 pm I live in Canada where the government is giving businesses a subsidy for payroll (75% of the employees average pay). All of us have had our hours cut by at least 75% and the owner has decided he's taking the subsidy but won't be topping anyone up. So he gets us working for him for free and we bare the brunt of the businesses, loss. I havent' finished the numbers yet but it looks like, after payroll is recalculated, the owner is doing BETTER financially this year than last for the same quarter.

When this is over I'll be looking for a new job.
Wow, that seems unethical, but I guess, maybe he thinks he needs for it future quarters.
Locked Previous topicNext topic