Trump signals growing weariness with ‘social distancing’ and other steps advocated by health officials

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Frau Holle wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:46 am Yes, but there’s also a big difference in 70 thousand people dying and three and a half million people dying in the US alone which is what has been projected here.

There might be good reason to look into why some places are seeing death rates of 10% While Germany has a death rate of 0.4%

Valentina327 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:09 pm I completely agree with your first sentence. Interesting that you don't find news of a medication that can treat the symptoms to be hopeful. A medication that they're going to try out in a hard hit population that's got 40% of the cases. Huh.

We live through flu season every year and some years 70,000 people die. We're up to as many as 54,000 deaths this year. The flu has been around how many years? And that's not been cured yet. We live with it. I'm definitely not expecting a cure, however, symptom treatment would be a hell of a great benefit.

cgd5112 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:01 am It’s bc too many Americans are alarmists, reactionists, and even idiots.They hear anecdotal information and they make a leap that these meds area cure. Even those who do understand the information, under such dire circumstances, panic react.

Sadly, too many Americans do not understand basic science. They do not understand the difference between treatments and cures. They do not understand the difference between case studies and random studies,. They do not understand that a study has to go through phased trials to prove efficacy.

Many of the same science deniers are now believing that these meds are cures bc trump tweeted about them and made an announcement about it.

I agree that trump should be transparent and give people hope. Telling the public GM and Ford have the go to make vents is hope. Telling the public that the fed gov will do every in its power to distribute resources to every state ( regardless of political leanings, and set his ego aside , to show and encourage unity), and make every effort to provide the resources to protect healthcare workers,families, and patients is giving hope. He then should step aside every time, and field healthcare questions to Dr. Fauci and not tweet about anything medical that he clearly does not understand. Instead he uses these press conferences as a surrogate for his feed-my-ego rallies bc his ego is going through adulation/validation withdrawals.

He should not get on a tweeting rant shit talking about governors. He should pull up his big boy panties and rise above any criticism, instead of acting like a fucken middle schooler that feels he has something to prove.

If he actually understands the charts he touts, he should continue to encourage physical distancing, limiting travel for non essential people to grocery shopping, pharmacy pick ups , etc.; bc if he does understand and he still wants to go back to business as usual by Easter, then he really doesn’t give a f**k about people’s lives, and he’s just a Harry Lime for corporations.

A smart man knows his limitations. trump deludes himself into thinking he has none.

"Drosten, whose team of researchers developed the first COVID-19 test used in the public domain, said Germany's low fatality rate is because of his country's ability to test early and often. He estimates Germany has been testing around 120,000 people a week for COVID-19 during the monthlong period from late February to now, when it's reached epidemic proportions in the country, the most extensive testing regimen in the world."

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/25/82059548 ... -countries

I wish US had been more like Germany.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:36 pm
Frau Holle wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:46 am Yes, but there’s also a big difference in 70 thousand people dying and three and a half million people dying in the US alone which is what has been projected here.

There might be good reason to look into why some places are seeing death rates of 10% While Germany has a death rate of 0.4%

Valentina327 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:09 pm I completely agree with your first sentence. Interesting that you don't find news of a medication that can treat the symptoms to be hopeful. A medication that they're going to try out in a hard hit population that's got 40% of the cases. Huh.

We live through flu season every year and some years 70,000 people die. We're up to as many as 54,000 deaths this year. The flu has been around how many years? And that's not been cured yet. We live with it. I'm definitely not expecting a cure, however, symptom treatment would be a hell of a great benefit.

The difference is projected vs. actual. There are multitudes of vast differences between other countries and the US, so using other countries numbers I don't believe is accurate. Take China and Italy.

If they use numbers from Wuhan, that's ground zero first of all. We took precautions very early on, cut off incoming travel from China, etc.

China, by contrast, let it rage out of control and lied about how widespread it was. They jailed the scientist that discovered it and was sounding the alarm bells. They didn't try to arrest it early on, just kept stuffing the reality down.

By contrast, we have scientists closely tracking it and giving daily updates.

We also have better sanitation standards.

We don't have wet markets and things of that nature that will be spreading more disease.

We have better access to medical care than either China or Italy.

Death numbers are higher from Italy because the population is among the oldest worldwide. We know that this targets older folks and those folks likely have underlying health conditions. Which is know to carry more risk.

Italy also has DIRECT connectivity back and forth to China via Silkroad. That is an open port through which the disease has a direct and unfettered route.

We, by contrast, addressed it early, have much better sanitation, better medical access and are disconnected and distanced from China which is ground zero.

So, death projections based on other countries experience don't make a lot of sense.
Where are you getting that Americans have better medical access? WHO ranked Italy the second best healthcare system in the world. The United States in 37th: https://www.photius.com/rankings/healthranks.html.

Once it was out of China, banning travel from there didn’t stop it. Italy banned travel from China before the United States did, and it didn’t stop the community spread once it was in their country already. Wuhan also forcibly quarantined people, while Italy is under a national lockdown - both helped slow the spread. The United States is doing it piecemeal, which won’t help at all.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Francee89 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:31 pm

The difference is projected vs. actual. There are multitudes of vast differences between other countries and the US, so using other countries numbers I don't believe is accurate. Take China and Italy.

If they use numbers from Wuhan, that's ground zero first of all. We took precautions very early on, cut off incoming travel from China, etc.

China, by contrast, let it rage out of control and lied about how widespread it was. They jailed the scientist that discovered it and was sounding the alarm bells. They didn't try to arrest it early on, just kept stuffing the reality down.

We don't have wet markets and things of that nature that will be spreading more disease.

Death numbers are higher from Italy because the population is among the oldest worldwide. We know that this targets older folks and those folks likely have underlying health conditions. Which is know to carry more risk.

Italy also has DIRECT connectivity back and forth to China via Silkroad. That is an open port through which the disease has a direct and unfettered route.

We, by contrast, addressed it early, have much better sanitation, better medical access and are disconnected and distanced from China which is ground zero.

So, death projections based on other countries experience don't make a lot of sense.
Where are you getting that Americans have better medical access? WHO ranked Italy the second best healthcare system in the world. The United States in 37th: https://www.photius.com/rankings/healthranks.html.

Once it was out of China, banning travel from there didn’t stop it. Italy banned travel from China before the United States did, and it didn’t stop the community spread once it was in their country already. Wuhan also forcibly quarantined people, while Italy is under a national lockdown - both helped slow the spread. The United States is doing it piecemeal, which won’t help at all.
I hate to say it and I absolutely abhor the thought of us being occupied, but I'm thinking that might not be the worst idea to have enforced shelter in place. It's so frustrating to be watching these imbeciles still having their gatherings, holding weddings, traveling to other states.

NY has nearly 50% of the cases in our country and these morons are leaving NY and flooding into Florida. If people would just listen and would have stayed still these last 2 weeks, this would be a lot closer to contained.

I'm really, really beyond disgusted with my fellow citizens right now Francee, to be honest.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:19 pm

I hate to say it and I absolutely abhor the thought of us being occupied, but I'm thinking that might not be the worst idea to have enforced shelter in place. It's so frustrating to be watching these imbeciles still having their gatherings, holding weddings, traveling to other states.

NY has nearly 50% of the cases in our country and these morons are leaving NY and flooding into Florida. If people would just listen and would have stayed still these last 2 weeks, this would be a lot closer to contained.

I'm really, really beyond disgusted with my fellow citizens right now Francee, to be honest.
A nationwide shelter in place while more robust testing capabilities are implemented (like South Korea’s) would seem to make a lot more sense than trying to allow some areas to resume normal life, with no way of having social distancing in places like offices, bars, restaurants and theatres, and no way to keep people from areas with higher rates of infection from travelling there and starting outbreaks.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Francee89 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:29 pm

A nationwide shelter in place while more robust testing capabilities are implemented (like South Korea’s) would seem to make a lot more sense than trying to allow some areas to resume normal life, with no way of having social distancing in places like offices, bars, restaurants and theatres, and no way to keep people from areas with higher rates of infection from travelling there and starting outbreaks.
Did you see today's Trump letter to governors about designating areas as low, medium, and high risk?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:41 pm
Francee89 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:29 pm

Did you see today's Trump letter to governors about designating areas as low, medium, and high risk?
Yes. Seems insane.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I can understand where he’s coming from. The economic repercussions are seriously scary. But we have to cross the bridges as we come to them. Right now the priority is to limit the spread of this disease, so he needs to focus on the advise of health experts. Once that’s dealt with, he can turn towards economists and find a path to revive and strengthen the economy.

And after all, hasn’t he been bragging all these years that’s he’s a very stable genius that would make the economy soar? Well, here’s his chance to prove that he’s more than words...Any “genius” should be able to revive the economy without needing to put the population at risk prematurely.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Deleted User 638

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:33 pm I can understand where he’s coming from. The economic repercussions are seriously scary. But we have to cross the bridges as we come to them. Right now the priority is to limit the spread of this disease, so he needs to focus on the advise of health experts. Once that’s dealt with, he can turn towards economists and find a path to revive and strengthen the economy.

And after all, hasn’t he been bragging all these years that’s he’s a very stable genius that would make the economy soar? Well, here’s his chance to prove that he’s more than words...Any “genius” should be able to revive the economy without needing to put the population at risk prematurely.

It's unfortunate our president is not a genius. We could use one now.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Well, he says he is 😁
So here’s his chance to prove it!
AnnieArk wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:38 pm
Momto2boys973 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:33 pm I can understand where he’s coming from. The economic repercussions are seriously scary. But we have to cross the bridges as we come to them. Right now the priority is to limit the spread of this disease, so he needs to focus on the advise of health experts. Once that’s dealt with, he can turn towards economists and find a path to revive and strengthen the economy.

❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Deleted User 638

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:41 pm Well, he says he is 😁
So here’s his chance to prove it!
AnnieArk wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:38 pm

:lol:
Locked Previous topicNext topic