Should the federal government issue a national forced quarantine?

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

winterglow wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:57 am
Linda_Runs wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:06 am
Lemons wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:40 pm

Didn’t England come in and try to force everyone to speak English?
When?
And why? Why would the UK attempt to dictate how another country lives? Especially when you consider that English is not the only language spoken (Gaelic, Welsh ...) within the UK ..
The UK tried to dictate how New England was to live, but that was stopped in 1776 by Washington. Canada had both French and British occupiers during the same time. There were battles between the British, French and native tribes. England came to Canada, not to force everyone to speak English, but to discover new resources to take back to Britain.

In the modern day Canada, there have been English - French issues dating back to confederation, some of which caused terrorist activity in 1972 and an intermittent separatist movement out of Quebec over the ages.
xsxpxixdxexrxsx
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Linda_Runs wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:52 pm
xsxpxixdxexrxsx wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:29 pm
Lemons wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:40 pm

Didn’t England come in and try to force everyone to speak English?
Maybe when Canada was being colonized and there was basically a battle between the French and the British to claim territory.. but not recently, that I can recall anyway.
This was all in the mid 1750's, particularly from 1755 to 1765. There was fighting between the invading British and French along with the native population. The various native tribes has alignments with both the British and French.
Yep.
winterglow
Viscountess
Viscountess

Unread post

Linda_Runs wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:57 pm
Linda_Runs wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:06 am

When?
And why? Why would the UK attempt to dictate how another country lives? Especially when you consider that English is not the only language spoken (Gaelic, Welsh ...) within the UK ..
The UK tried to dictate how New England was to live, but that was stopped in 1776 by Washington. Canada had both French and British occupiers during the same time. There were battles between the British, French and native tribes. England came to Canada, not to force everyone to speak English, but to discover new resources to take back to Britain.

In the modern day Canada, there have been English - French issues dating back to confederation, some of which caused terrorist activity in 1972 and an intermittent separatist movement out of Quebec over the ages.
Thanks but I was talking about the 70s. :) As if the UK would interfere in another sovereign country's linguistic choices ...
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

winterglow wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:21 am

Thanks but I was talking about the 70s. :) As if the UK would interfere in another sovereign country's linguistic choices ...
The UK in no way interfered with Canada's language demographics in the 70's.
winterglow
Viscountess
Viscountess

Unread post

Linda_Runs wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:19 pm

I know that - my responses were more in reply to the poster higher up in this thread who suggested that England tried to force the use of the English language in Canada in the 70s ...

I grew up in Scotland and we got quite a lot about Canadian history in primary school :)
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

winterglow wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:31 pm

I know that - my responses were more in reply to the poster higher up in this thread who suggested that England tried to force the use of the English language in Canada in the 70s ...

I grew up in Scotland and we got quite a lot about Canadian history in primary school :)
Half of my family history is from Scotland; the other have England. Throughout school, probably like many British students, our geography and social studies went far beyond our own borders, not like some school systems in some countries. :)
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Linda_Runs wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:42 pm

Half of my family history is from Scotland; the other have England. Throughout school, probably like many British students, our geography and social studies went far beyond our own borders, not like some school systems in some countries. :)
The native language in the Nova Scotia area went from French to English around the 1940’s give or take a decade. The schools in that area no longer allowed children from French speaking families to speak French at school. Government records went from French to English. That’s the time period I was thinking of.
winterglow
Viscountess
Viscountess

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:15 pm

The native language in the Nova Scotia area went from French to English around the 1940’s give or take a decade. The schools in that area no longer allowed children from French speaking families to speak French at school. Government records went from French to English. That’s the time period I was thinking of.
Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying. I was still thinking Quebec in the 70s :)
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:33 am
Francee89 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:47 pm
Valentina327 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:31 pm

Then you'll know that it was in reference to going along the curve, based on observation of the lifecycle of this virus within countries that have comment through it already. They we're saying it's an 8 - 10 week cycle.

The world has to get back to turning. We can not remain shut down for months. That's not practical nor feasible. Medical survival has to be balanced with people being able to financially survive also. The stress of tanking financially weakens your immune system also, thereby leaving you open to disease.

It's like when you go to the doctor and he tells you to stay home for 2 weeks for a cold. Yes, doctors would want that, but in the real world staying home with a cold for 2 weeks isn't possible. Everything needs to be balanced.
There’s zero chance the worst of this is over in the next week or two, which is when Trump seems to be alluding to rescinding his social distancing recommendations. There’s no way to safely get people back to work without easily accessible mass testing, which the Trump Administration hasn’t been able to provide, contrary to his prior lies anyone who needed one could get a test.

How is it possible to eradicate it if people are expected to return to life as normal, working and socializing in typical close quarters? Is the stress of going to work knowing every person you see could infect you, thereby making you a potentially deadly carrier for any vulnerable people in your life supposed to be healthy?

The real world is one in which more people will die or face critical illness if COVID spreads unchecked. What death rate would be acceptable to you in the name of “balance”?
Again, needed. Stop with making up more lies that you're attributing to him. That is the operative word. Needed. Do we mass test for the flu? No we don't. The flu kills up to 70,000 people some years. Why on earth would we "mass test" for this?

The tests that are available are being allocated to hospitals first, where the severely ill are. My housemate is an RN. They really do have the tests at the hospital and really are administering them as needed. Materials also have to be purchased, put together, etc. You know, manufacturing. There was also an issue with the existing tests yielding false positives.

So let me make sure I clearly understand the left wing premise correctly : Trump was supposed to have a stockpile of 327 million tests sitting around for a virus that wasn't on our shores until 8 weeks ago, that didn't exist in our world, that he didn't know China was going to allow us to be infected with thanks their sloppy containment, lies and under playing? Do you honestly ever listen to yourselves?

You don't just decide you want to get your CA125 tested and waltz in demanding it. You need to be symptomatic and the doctor recommends the test. There are medical criteria for doctors to recommend tests. We don't just march in somewhere and demand a test because we "want to know". That's absolutely ludicrous and anyone that has that expectation is off their rocker.
I don't know of anybody or news site or paper that is claiming that. What they are saying is that Trump and his administration fucked up royally on the tests. The CDC is so horribly mismanaged that they can't get their act together to provide the millions of tests that health care workers need. The CDC fucked up so badly that the first round of tests were screwed up and faulty.
https://globalbiodefense.com/2020/02/13 ... diagnosis/

And the states are still waiting for tests as well as the protective gear, which Trump has done nothing to facilitate.
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:15 pm

I am not sure where you are getting that history from. While I was born in Quebec, I was raised in Nova Scotia from about age 11 until I left in my early 20's. Almost nobody I knew spoke French, had French families or any French speaking heritage. Officially and historically, French settlers where only in one small port in the earliest years in the 1600's before Nova Scotia was even known to Europe. In the mid 1750's, that small group of French settlers were deported or dispersed.

Other than the very sparse small pockets of Nova Scotian's with Acadien roots, the only French in the province are modern day Canadians whom moved from the north shores of New Brunswick or Quebec for reasons of employment or education. Having traveled all through Nova Scotia, I found no historical references to anything French at all. As for Canada as a whole, Canada is an English speaking nation with only about 20 percent of the population French speaking. In our generation, I would be surprised if you could travel anywhere in Canada and not find an English speaking Canadian, regardless of their mother tongue.
Locked Previous topicNext topic