Trump signals growing weariness with ‘social distancing’ and other steps advocated by health officials

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:49 pm Where did I say I watch Fox news? You and your comrades have such a hatred of Fox - wonder if it's because it's the one network that isn't an extension of the left wing and puking out their propaganda for them.

I've been watching this virus unfold since the fall, when China was trying to claim there were 1,400 cases and were clearly lying to the world about it. When it wasn't a consideration for us. When it wasn't yet on our shores. I've also been watching the death and case count which is still no where near the flu. Which we have lived with for how many years? Which kills 70,000 some seasons. Which there are millions of cases of.

I'm using logic and reason, unlike what your media continues to try to promote. I like sanity. The left should try it sometime. I don't buy into the propaganda.

Lemons wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:10 pm You keep repeating the same Fox News bullshit about the Flu. No, it’s not like the yearly flu seasons. It’s highly contagious and unlike the flu, very little is still known about it. If our country had done nothing to contain this, half of the country would be infected by the end of the year with millions of deaths. People need to stop talking about the flu after reading stupid articles on Fox News.

Valentina327 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:09 pm I completely agree with your first sentence. Interesting that you don't find news of a medication that can treat the symptoms to be hopeful. A medication that they're going to try out in a hard hit population that's got 40% of the cases. Huh.

We live through flu season every year and some years 70,000 people die. We're up to as many as 54,000 deaths this year. The flu has been around how many years? And that's not been cured yet. We live with it. I'm definitely not expecting a cure, however, symptom treatment would be a hell of a great benefit.

You're looking at total amount of deaths from flu rather than death rates. We are still at the beginning stage of this illness here in the US and NYC is running out of morgue space. We are rising by a couple hundred deaths and the death rate is high, certainly compared to the flu. At what point will you feel that this is deadlier than the flu? Obviously the death rate is higher and the rate is infection is higher but what will be the number of deaths that will convince you that this is super scary shit?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Deleted User 638

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:52 pm Why would I defend Trump?

Interesting question. Do you somehow blame him for this virus and not China's failure to contain it? Is this his fault too? LOL
AnnieArk wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:44 pm
Valentina327 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:09 pm I completely agree with your first sentence. Interesting that you don't find news of a medication that can treat the symptoms to be hopeful. A medication that they're going to try out in a hard hit population that's got 40% of the cases. Huh.

We live through flu season every year and some years 70,000 people die. We're up to as many as 54,000 deaths this year. The flu has been around how many years? And that's not been cured yet. We live with it. I'm definitely not expecting a cure, however, symptom treatment would be a hell of a great benefit.

This isn't the damn flu. Worst case scenarios have shown anywhere from 500,000 to over a million deaths in this country from the virus. If that happens, I'll be interested in hearing your defense of Trump.

The existence of the virus is no one's fault. Shit happens in nature. I do blame Trump for lying to the public for so long in the beginning, downplaying it as something that would not be a problem here. I blame him for allowing the dismantling of the federal board that was in charge of pandemics and not creating a new one. I blame him for not mobilizing the federal government in preparation for the virus as soon as he knew what was happening in China.

Wuhan, China is a city of almost 12 million. Thousands of foreigners live there or are there for business, including American citizens. By the time Chinese doctors realized what was going on, it was already out of China. Blaming China for not containing it is Trump's attempt to deflect attention from his failure to do his job.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

China has nothing to do with how we handle what is to come in our country. They lied, it spread, there’s not much we can do about that now. Anymore than Trumps delay in taking it seriously.

While new-sites around the globe have been reporting on the seriousness of this, right wing sites have been inaccurately comparing flu statistics to it. So if you’re still comparing it to the flu, even though it’s ten times more deadly, you’re reading right wing news.
Valentina327 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:38 pm Where did I say I watched fox news?

I look up statistics on my own. I was watching this virus unfold long before it hit here, when China was under reporting the stats and lying their asses off.
Lemons wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:10 pm You keep repeating the same Fox News bullshit about the Flu. No, it’s not like the yearly flu seasons. It’s highly contagious and unlike the flu, very little is still known about it. If our country had done nothing to contain this, half of the country would be infected by the end of the year with millions of deaths. People need to stop talking about the flu after reading stupid articles on Fox News.

WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I guess we'll just have to look at Mississippi to see what happens there. Currently 377 cases and 7 deaths, they are at the low end of infection for now. The governor of Mississippi has deemed most businesses as essential and superseded local orders by mayors. I wonder what citizens of Mississippi feel like, I mean expendable and all.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Deleted User 203

Unread post

29again wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:32 pm
Lemons wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:12 pm
29again wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:56 pm

Quick question here - you said they took this combination. So, how did they get the Zpack? You think they might have just had one laying around the house, or what? Otherwise, they did NOT take the combination of PRESCRIPTION DRUGS that POTUS tweeted about.
I don’t know, the paper didn’t report it. The point is that people hear this is a cure and they will try it out with whatever they have. They figure if that works, why not this or that plus an antibiotic?

Trump needs to be more responsible. Now he’s talking about some miracle happening on Easter even though cases are still doubling every three days. He’s playing to his base.

If he “re-opens” some of the country, you can bet New Yorkers, Californians, and others from states with growing cases will be invading the open states.
No, this is NOT on Trump. They chose to self-medicate with a substance that they "thought" was the same. They did NO research. This is all on them, well, the wife now. And you still need a script for the anti-biotics! Last I knew there was no fish anti-biotic equivalent to a Z-pack..... I'm sorry to have to say this, but people who self-medicate with things they know nothing about really can't complain when things don't go the way they thought they would.

We ALL would love for things to be open by Easter. The phrase "would love to" is not quite the same as "will be". It is not definite. It is not a deadline. It is not an order.
I've highlighted in red the part I 100% agree with. While I feel President Trump needs to (as is customary with him) measure his words more carefully, you're absolutely correct. It is a goal he's expressing and not a matter of IT WILL happen.

As for the Tucson couple, here are some links to their story:
https://kvoa.com/news/top-stories/2020/ ... -covid-19/

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus ... s-man.html
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

He's sofa king fickle he talks out of both sides of his mouth.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/2 ... ril-146398
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

AZLizardLady wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:07 pm
29again wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:32 pm
Lemons wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:12 pm

I don’t know, the paper didn’t report it. The point is that people hear this is a cure and they will try it out with whatever they have. They figure if that works, why not this or that plus an antibiotic?

Trump needs to be more responsible. Now he’s talking about some miracle happening on Easter even though cases are still doubling every three days. He’s playing to his base.

If he “re-opens” some of the country, you can bet New Yorkers, Californians, and others from states with growing cases will be invading the open states.
No, this is NOT on Trump. They chose to self-medicate with a substance that they "thought" was the same. They did NO research. This is all on them, well, the wife now. And you still need a script for the anti-biotics! Last I knew there was no fish anti-biotic equivalent to a Z-pack..... I'm sorry to have to say this, but people who self-medicate with things they know nothing about really can't complain when things don't go the way they thought they would.

We ALL would love for things to be open by Easter. The phrase "would love to" is not quite the same as "will be". It is not definite. It is not a deadline. It is not an order.
I've highlighted in red the part I 100% agree with. While I feel President Trump needs to (as is customary with him) measure his words more carefully, you're absolutely correct. It is a goal he's expressing and not a matter of IT WILL happen.

As for the Tucson couple, here are some links to their story:
https://kvoa.com/news/top-stories/2020/ ... -covid-19/

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus ... s-man.html
But it just won't happen.

I mean, it's a nice idea but not realistic. Give people an unrealistic hope for a lessoning of restrictions or give people a more realistic picture so they can prepare? Was on a conference call with Dept. of Ag. today and the idea that this will lesson in April was laughed at. We need to prepare for months. Frankly, preparation takes time and effort (expense). I'm not going to spend the immense amount of time if I think everything will be lifted early April. That would be a stupid expense of resources! But knowing that it's going to go on for at least a couple/few months makes it worth the effort. The recommendation from Dept. of Ag was to ignore Trump and look to their website. I'm totally serious. Think about that. I mean, my mouth dropped. I haven't paid attention to Trump for three years but in the midst of a pandemic the idea that we should ignore statements from our president was quite startling.
Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Yes, but there’s also a big difference in 70 thousand people dying and three and a half million people dying in the US alone which is what has been projected here.

There might be good reason to look into why some places are seeing death rates of 10% While Germany has a death rate of 0.4%

cgd5112 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:01 am It’s bc too many Americans are alarmists, reactionists, and even idiots.They hear anecdotal information and they make a leap that these meds area cure. Even those who do understand the information, under such dire circumstances, panic react.

Sadly, too many Americans do not understand basic science. They do not understand the difference between treatments and cures. They do not understand the difference between case studies and random studies,. They do not understand that a study has to go through phased trials to prove efficacy.

Many of the same science deniers are now believing that these meds are cures bc trump tweeted about them and made an announcement about it.

I agree that trump should be transparent and give people hope. Telling the public GM and Ford have the go to make vents is hope. Telling the public that the fed gov will do every in its power to distribute resources to every state ( regardless of political leanings, and set his ego aside , to show and encourage unity), and make every effort to provide the resources to protect healthcare workers,families, and patients is giving hope. He then should step aside every time, and field healthcare questions to Dr. Fauci and not tweet about anything medical that he clearly does not understand. Instead he uses these press conferences as a surrogate for his feed-my-ego rallies bc his ego is going through adulation/validation withdrawals.

He should not get on a tweeting rant shit talking about governors. He should pull up his big boy panties and rise above any criticism, instead of acting like a fucken middle schooler that feels he has something to prove.

If he actually understands the charts he touts, he should continue to encourage physical distancing, limiting travel for non essential people to grocery shopping, pharmacy pick ups , etc.; bc if he does understand and he still wants to go back to business as usual by Easter, then he really doesn’t give a f**k about people’s lives, and he’s just a Harry Lime for corporations.

A smart man knows his limitations. trump deludes himself into thinking he has none.
Valentina327 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:48 am

Yes, Trump is at fault for an individuals stupidity now too. It's natural selection at work would be my summary.

Add that to the list. They crack me up. They accuse Trump of withholding information constantly, he shares something with the country that's hopeful, and he's getting lambasted for being transparent. Again, not able to hold a congruous thought if their lives depended on it. They're all certifiable.
“ I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night “ - Sarah Williams
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Frau Holle wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:46 am Yes, but there’s also a big difference in 70 thousand people dying and three and a half million people dying in the US alone which is what has been projected here.

There might be good reason to look into why some places are seeing death rates of 10% While Germany has a death rate of 0.4%

cgd5112 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:01 am It’s bc too many Americans are alarmists, reactionists, and even idiots.They hear anecdotal information and they make a leap that these meds area cure. Even those who do understand the information, under such dire circumstances, panic react.

Sadly, too many Americans do not understand basic science. They do not understand the difference between treatments and cures. They do not understand the difference between case studies and random studies,. They do not understand that a study has to go through phased trials to prove efficacy.

Many of the same science deniers are now believing that these meds are cures bc trump tweeted about them and made an announcement about it.

I agree that trump should be transparent and give people hope. Telling the public GM and Ford have the go to make vents is hope. Telling the public that the fed gov will do every in its power to distribute resources to every state ( regardless of political leanings, and set his ego aside , to show and encourage unity), and make every effort to provide the resources to protect healthcare workers,families, and patients is giving hope. He then should step aside every time, and field healthcare questions to Dr. Fauci and not tweet about anything medical that he clearly does not understand. Instead he uses these press conferences as a surrogate for his feed-my-ego rallies bc his ego is going through adulation/validation withdrawals.

He should not get on a tweeting rant shit talking about governors. He should pull up his big boy panties and rise above any criticism, instead of acting like a fucken middle schooler that feels he has something to prove.

If he actually understands the charts he touts, he should continue to encourage physical distancing, limiting travel for non essential people to grocery shopping, pharmacy pick ups , etc.; bc if he does understand and he still wants to go back to business as usual by Easter, then he really doesn’t give a f**k about people’s lives, and he’s just a Harry Lime for corporations.

A smart man knows his limitations. trump deludes himself into thinking he has none.

The difference is projected vs. actual. There are multitudes of vast differences between other countries and the US, so using other countries numbers I don't believe is accurate. Take China and Italy.

If they use numbers from Wuhan, that's ground zero first of all. We took precautions very early on, cut off incoming travel from China, etc.

China, by contrast, let it rage out of control and lied about how widespread it was. They jailed the scientist that discovered it and was sounding the alarm bells. They didn't try to arrest it early on, just kept stuffing the reality down.

By contrast, we have scientists closely tracking it and giving daily updates.

We also have better sanitation standards.

We don't have wet markets and things of that nature that will be spreading more disease.

We have better access to medical care than either China or Italy.

Death numbers are higher from Italy because the population is among the oldest worldwide. We know that this targets older folks and those folks likely have underlying health conditions. Which is know to carry more risk.

Italy also has DIRECT connectivity back and forth to China via Silkroad. That is an open port through which the disease has a direct and unfettered route.

We, by contrast, addressed it early, have much better sanitation, better medical access and are disconnected and distanced from China which is ground zero.

So, death projections based on other countries experience don't make a lot of sense.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:36 pm
Frau Holle wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:46 am Yes, but there’s also a big difference in 70 thousand people dying and three and a half million people dying in the US alone which is what has been projected here.

The difference is projected vs. actual. There are multitudes of vast differences between other countries and the US, so using other countries numbers I don't believe is accurate. Take China and Italy.

If they use numbers from Wuhan, that's ground zero first of all. We took precautions very early on, cut off incoming travel from China, etc.

China, by contrast, let it rage out of control and lied about how widespread it was. They jailed the scientist that discovered it and was sounding the alarm bells. They didn't try to arrest it early on, just kept stuffing the reality down.

By contrast, we have scientists closely tracking it and giving daily updates.

We also have better sanitation standards.

We don't have wet markets and things of that nature that will be spreading more disease.

We have better access to medical care than either China or Italy.

Death numbers are higher from Italy because the population is among the oldest worldwide. We know that this targets older folks and those folks likely have underlying health conditions. Which is know to carry more risk.

Italy also has DIRECT connectivity back and forth to China via Silkroad. That is an open port through which the disease has a direct and unfettered route.

We, by contrast, addressed it early, have much better sanitation, better medical access and are disconnected and distanced from China which is ground zero.

So, death projections based on other countries experience don't make a lot of sense.
I believe the WHO already took all of those factors into account when the estimate was made that slightly under 1% of Americans who contracted it would die.
“ I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night “ - Sarah Williams
Locked Previous topicNext topic