I quit my job today

Anonymous 1

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:24 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:17 am
LiveWhatULove wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:14 am

I do not believe that hospitals "all over the place" are encouraging healthcare workers to go into patient's rooms with symptoms with no PPE. I refuse to believe this. Something is off with your account of events. I know hospitals in my area are not operating like this at all.

I hope you are not ill as well.
In the US at least. You can find a lot of information on it if you want. Join a few hospital groups if you want. It is all over the place.

There is a PPE shortage in the places that have been dealing with this and have a lot of cases.

You can pretend like it's not happening but it doesn't change facts. Anyone with Internet can find out how had things are getting.
I work in academia which is part of a hospital system. I am employed in a suburban hospital system & will be working this week-end. I know the internet likes to exaggerate facts to gain sympathy, and even people that quit their jobs, like to feel validated that doing so was worth it, so our personal stories carry bias to justify our reactions.

Are some facilities short of PPE? sure. But I do not believe that majority of facilities are denying workers the ability to wear home-made masks for patient satisfaction reasons. I do not believe that majority of facilities are just allowing all employees to have unlimited contact between rooms with patient with severe respiratory symptoms. There are two sides to every story and Facebook groups share one...So we can just agree to disagree.
Where did I say the majority?
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

People here have been asking about making masks and donating them to our local hospital. Nurses from that hospital responded and stated that the hospital system ( one of the largest in the state) is not allowing any hand made masks at any location. It sucks because as of yesterday, there were almost 1400 cases confirmed, almost 450 hospitalized and 47 deaths. I'm sure that number has changed since yesterday, but they won't update until about 11 am or so.

I do not believe that hospitals "all over the place" are encouraging healthcare workers to go into patient's rooms with symptoms with no PPE. I refuse to believe this. Something is off with your account of events. I know hospitals in my area are not operating like this at all.

In the US at least. You can find a lot of information on it if you want. Join a few hospital groups if you want. It is all over the place.

There is a PPE shortage in the places that have been dealing with this and have a lot of cases.

You can pretend like it's not happening but it doesn't change facts. Anyone with Internet can find out how had things are getting.
I work in academia which is part of a hospital system. I am employed in a suburban hospital system & will be working this week-end. I know the internet likes to exaggerate facts to gain sympathy, and even people that quit their jobs, like to feel validated that doing so was worth it, so our personal stories carry bias to justify our reactions.

Are some facilities short of PPE? sure. But I do not believe that majority of facilities are denying workers the ability to wear home-made masks for patient satisfaction reasons. I do not believe that majority of facilities are just allowing all employees to have unlimited contact between rooms with patient with severe respiratory symptoms. There are two sides to every story and Facebook groups share one...So we can just agree to disagree.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Vegaswife2011
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

You did what you had to do.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Than I am guessing although, they are running short, asking for donations,, they still have some paper masks. I still fail to understand how anyone rural, underserved, or otherwise just says, “oh, well, let’s just use nothing” does that make sense? It’s a lawsuit just waiting to happen: admin hates those kind of things, they like to be able to say, “oh we did the best we could” based on CDC & WHO recommendations in crisis, not just “F it, let’s not use anything.”
mcginnisc wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:43 am People here have been asking about making masks and donating them to our local hospital. Nurses from that hospital responded and stated that the hospital system ( one of the largest in the state) is not allowing any hand made masks at any location. It sucks because as of yesterday, there were almost 1400 cases confirmed, almost 450 hospitalized and 47 deaths. I'm sure that number has changed since yesterday, but they won't update until about 11 am or so.

Anonymous 3

Unread post

Unless masks have a filter they are useless
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

From what I see from my nurse friends- they have little to no equipment. The worst part- I live in Atlanta..the HOME of the CDC. Our local mayors are doing shelter in place, but our governor says " I don't know".. Needless to say, he will not be governor again after this as people are super pissed and have already said that they will not vote for him in the next election. He has been basically absent for the past week until the last two days while the local counties have been making their own decisions. It's just a sucky situation all around. I know my medical personnel friends/family are scared and that is enough for me to keep my happy butt at home as much as possible.

LiveWhatULove wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:12 am Than I am guessing although, they are running short, asking for donations,, they still have some paper masks. I still fail to understand how anyone rural, underserved, or otherwise just says, “oh, well, let’s just use nothing” does that make sense? It’s a lawsuit just waiting to happen: admin hates those kind of things, they like to be able to say, “oh we did the best we could” based on CDC & WHO recommendations in crisis, not just “F it, let’s not use anything.”
mcginnisc wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:43 am People here have been asking about making masks and donating them to our local hospital. Nurses from that hospital responded and stated that the hospital system ( one of the largest in the state) is not allowing any hand made masks at any location. It sucks because as of yesterday, there were almost 1400 cases confirmed, almost 450 hospitalized and 47 deaths. I'm sure that number has changed since yesterday, but they won't update until about 11 am or so.

Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I hear you and am sorry your area is going through that.

My colleagues are indeed scared as well, but never have they just thrown up our hands and said, ehhh tough times, our policy is: we're just not going to make any attempt PPE.

I feel something is missing and it makes a horrible situation seem even worse for the public. Maybe I am wrong, I am sure there are pockets of incompetence, but I have students & alum in rural & underserved areas all over the country, and I hear "we are worried, things are scary, I fear for my family & patients", but no one is saying, "we were told not to use PPE..." It's just so bizarre.

but at any rate. I hope the OP feels safer at home & is well.
mcginnisc wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:18 am From what I see from my nurse friends- they have little to no equipment. The worst part- I live in Atlanta..the HOME of the CDC. Our local mayors are doing shelter in place, but our governor says " I don't know".. Needless to say, he will not be governor again after this as people are super pissed and have already said that they will not vote for him in the next election. He has been basically absent for the past week until the last two days while the local counties have been making their own decisions. It's just a sucky situation all around. I know my medical personnel friends/family are scared and that is enough for me to keep my happy butt at home as much as possible.

LiveWhatULove wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:12 am Than I am guessing although, they are running short, asking for donations,, they still have some paper masks. I still fail to understand how anyone rural, underserved, or otherwise just says, “oh, well, let’s just use nothing” does that make sense? It’s a lawsuit just waiting to happen: admin hates those kind of things, they like to be able to say, “oh we did the best we could” based on CDC & WHO recommendations in crisis, not just “F it, let’s not use anything.”

Yoloo
Princess
Princess

Unread post

DD say this on the news today and sent it to me. This kind of shit is happening in many places
Screenshot_20200326-211930.png
Yoloo
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:26 am

Right but what I find hard to believe is the hospital said no handmade masks. We all know healthcare workers are making handmade masks because of a shortage. If I God forbid get sick my nurse could wear my sons plague doctor outfit for all I care. I'm sure most patients feel the same and if they don't a simple explanation should satisfy most.
Then you must not be paying much attention. People are being fired or having the treat of losing their jobs for wearing homemade masks. Its happening at least in Texas, Oklahoma, and California and that was only from a couple news articles from a quick Google search

https://www.healthleadersmedia.com/nurs ... -own-masks

https://www.wbrc.com/2020/03/23/nurse-c ... utType=amp

People are getting fired just for wanting better

https://www.google.com/amp/s/chicago.su ... zurkiewicz

But you are right .. it is hard to believe hospitals are saying you can't use homemade masks 🙄🙄
Anonymous 4

Unread post

This may not help but I saw some homemade masks that are double sided with a slit that a hospital mask can be put into the slit. Let me see if I can find it again

Here is the pinterest link to make them
https://pin.it/28YT7Ik
Attachments
Screenshot_2020-03-27-03-00-50.png
Locked Previous topicNext topic