I quit my job today

Anonymous 1

Unread post

I'm terrified of what my future will hold but it was the best option.

I work in a hospital (no I'm not a nurse) well worked. When this whole Covid 19 started things were okay. Not the best because it is chaos but at least we had proper gear. They told us not to worry about PPE and that we were well stocked.

In a few days it went to only one mask and one gown a shift. That means that we were walking around all the rooms with the same gowns and masks spreading whatever.

Then it went to reusing those gowns and masks for days.

People started making their own masks that were hand made and could actually be sanitized.

The hospital was fine with it.

Now they are saying no hand made masks or equipment of any kind. The satisfaction surveys showed that patients did not like it so it has to stop.

They want people wearing masks and gear only in confirmed positive rooms. So we can't wear any protection with the 20-30 people in there with suspected Covid who are waiting the 4-7 days for their test. I would bet they all have Covid 19 and if not they have some other illness that is contagious.

I told them I was not working without a mask. It isn't the best protection but it is better than nothing. I'd rather get sputum on a mask than directly on my face.

They said I didn't have an option so I just went to HR and quit. A few others did the same. Sorry but risking my life and risking spreading it to my family is not worth it. The amount of precautions I've already been taking was enough, there was no way to prevent getting the virus if I was in direct contact with people who have it with no protection

They are risking our health for patient satisfaction ratings. It is honestly disgusting.

Someone from work has already tried calling me a few times but I'm not answering it just isn't worth it.

Now I'm going to pretty much be self quarantining in my basement for the next couple weeks.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Do you have an infectious disease department? I feel like perhaps, there was a mis-interpretation of policy of or something. It happens, admin hears that staff are wearing masks around ALL patients, they complain, so admin says, "don't wear masks around those who are not infected or low risk." and the implementation, then becomes, "not to wear masks around those who have not tested positive yet." And it's a cluster. The COO & director of nursing and such need to be visible & vocal.

If no resolution occurs, someone should alert the facility, that workers are going to alert the local media about it.

As if this is the true policy, leadership handled it badly & dangerously. I personally, would feel morally obligated to raise awareness, and get my own ad campaign going, to educate the public about the risks when providers wear not PPE around those with symptoms or at risk.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:07 am Do you have an infectious disease department? I feel like perhaps, there was a mis-interpretation of policy of or something. It happens, admin hears that staff are wearing masks around ALL patients, they complain, so admin says, "don't wear masks around those who are not infected or low risk." and the implementation, then becomes, "not to wear masks around those who have not tested positive yet." And it's a cluster. The COO & director of nursing and such need to be visible & vocal.

If no resolution occurs, someone should alert the facility, that workers are going to alert the local media about it.

As if this is the true policy, leadership handled it badly & dangerously. I personally, would feel morally obligated to raise awareness, and get my own ad campaign going, to educate the public about the risks when providers wear not PPE around those with symptoms or at risk.
Yes. This came directly from our disease control department at the command center.

This is happening all over the place.

I'm just going to focus on trying to stay healthy and hope to God I don't get it.
Lotus
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

My friends in the medical profession said by this time next year we will all probably have been exposed. That it is here to stay.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:11 am
LiveWhatULove wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:07 am Do you have an infectious disease department? I feel like perhaps, there was a mis-interpretation of policy of or something. It happens, admin hears that staff are wearing masks around ALL patients, they complain, so admin says, "don't wear masks around those who are not infected or low risk." and the implementation, then becomes, "not to wear masks around those who have not tested positive yet." And it's a cluster. The COO & director of nursing and such need to be visible & vocal.

Yes. This came directly from our disease control department at the command center.

I'm just going to focus on trying to stay healthy and hope to God I don't get it.
I do not believe that hospitals "all over the place" are encouraging healthcare workers to go into patient's rooms with symptoms with no PPE. I refuse to believe this. Something is off with your account of events. I know hospitals in my area are not operating like this at all.

I hope you are not ill as well.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:14 am

I do not believe that hospitals "all over the place" are encouraging healthcare workers to go into patient's rooms with symptoms with no PPE. I refuse to believe this. Something is off with your account of events. I know hospitals in my area are not operating like this at all.

In the US at least. You can find a lot of information on it if you want. Join a few hospital groups if you want. It is all over the place.

There is a PPE shortage in the places that have been dealing with this and have a lot of cases.

You can pretend like it's not happening but it doesn't change facts. Anyone with Internet can find out how had things are getting.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:17 am

In the US at least. You can find a lot of information on it if you want. Join a few hospital groups if you want. It is all over the place.

There is a PPE shortage in the places that have been dealing with this and have a lot of cases.

You can pretend like it's not happening but it doesn't change facts. Anyone with Internet can find out how had things are getting.
I work in academia which is part of a hospital system. I am employed in a suburban hospital system & will be working this week-end. I know the internet likes to exaggerate facts to gain sympathy, and even people that quit their jobs, like to feel validated that doing so was worth it, so our personal stories carry bias to justify our reactions.

Are some facilities short of PPE? sure. But I do not believe that majority of facilities are denying workers the ability to wear home-made masks for patient satisfaction reasons. I do not believe that majority of facilities are just allowing all employees to have unlimited contact between rooms with patient with severe respiratory symptoms. There are two sides to every story and Facebook groups share one...So we can just agree to disagree.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Thanks for trolling
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:17 am

Right but what I find hard to believe is the hospital said no handmade masks. We all know healthcare workers are making handmade masks because of a shortage. If I God forbid get sick my nurse could wear my sons plague doctor outfit for all I care. I'm sure most patients feel the same and if they don't a simple explanation should satisfy most.
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

You are right. It’s not. However, discussions are happening on how to reuse n95s, using trash bags as gowns,. How to don and remove reusable PPEs and clean them. U it’s are being converted to large areas where patients suspected or confirmed are separate from other patients. Many ideas are being floated.

Sadly, this situation is dynamic. In the Bronx, it’s already chaotic. There’s a concern I g article in the NYT about people waiting as long as 30-60 hrs for a bed, or just to see a physician.

It’s not surprising that different areas will be affected differently.This in turn affects how seriously people take the pandemic.

For healthcare workers, especially in small or community hospitals, this is more than they are prepared to handle. In large academic hospitals and med centers, despite resource challenges, they are in a position to treat people in larger numbers, whilst educating staff.

Still, reports are out that some have taken mental health leave out of concern for their families.

Locked Previous topicNext topic