Trump says he wants country 'opened up' by Easter, despite caution from health experts

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

DSamuels wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:47 pm
Thelma Harper wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:19 am
DSamuels wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:19 am

If they wanted something behind the sign they absofuckinglutely would go get it. They would climb over something if it was in the way. Until you have worked retail you have no idea how people act. It ain’t pretty.

Now people are walking right into the back stockroom clearly labeled employees only because they think the stores are hiding toilet paper and other things back there. I retired early back in November 2018, but I am still a member of a Facebook group of store employees. The stories they have now.

Fitting rooms are closed. A lady ignored the sign and took bathing suits back there. Left the door open too. An employee walked back to tell her she had to leave and she was topless. People stripping down to underwear to try on bathing suits and clothes on the sales floor. Ignoring the “Limit of 2” signs and bringing up 4 or more of an item and insisting to be rung up. These are just a few stories from today.
That sounds like all the more reason to shut down certain sections of big box stores. If they have to guard those barricades with the national guard or military, so be it. Or retailers could just pull all the non-essential stock and use that space for essentials. The sooner we get this under control, the sooner we can get back to normal.
Considering “essential” goods take up probably 1/4 of the store and most back rooms are about that size there is no way they can empty non-essentials off the floor and store them. They also wouldn’t have enough back room inventory to cover the empty space. And who decides what is essential and what isn’t?
Anything can be done when we put our minds and efforts into it. There are plenty of box trailers and sea containers to store it in which would also keep employees employed. There's also the prospect of moving it into one closed off section of the store.

Have you ever worked in the shipping industry?

Essential is like the SNAP dilemma, where some want to limit what can be purchased, is it not? If my kid tore up his/her pillow, it's not essential to replace it. They could do without or I might offer them one of the six on my bed. Bathing suits aren't a necessity either.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

DSamuels wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:47 pm
Thelma Harper wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:19 am
DSamuels wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:19 am

If they wanted something behind the sign they absofuckinglutely would go get it. They would climb over something if it was in the way. Until you have worked retail you have no idea how people act. It ain’t pretty.

Now people are walking right into the back stockroom clearly labeled employees only because they think the stores are hiding toilet paper and other things back there. I retired early back in November 2018, but I am still a member of a Facebook group of store employees. The stories they have now.

Fitting rooms are closed. A lady ignored the sign and took bathing suits back there. Left the door open too. An employee walked back to tell her she had to leave and she was topless. People stripping down to underwear to try on bathing suits and clothes on the sales floor. Ignoring the “Limit of 2” signs and bringing up 4 or more of an item and insisting to be rung up. These are just a few stories from today.
That sounds like all the more reason to shut down certain sections of big box stores. If they have to guard those barricades with the national guard or military, so be it. Or retailers could just pull all the non-essential stock and use that space for essentials. The sooner we get this under control, the sooner we can get back to normal.
Considering “essential” goods take up probably 1/4 of the store and most back rooms are about that size there is no way they can empty non-essentials off the floor and store them. They also wouldn’t have enough back room inventory to cover the empty space. And who decides what is essential and what isn’t?
In my opinion, essential items are those that are EBT eligible. We have to reduce our farmers market to those items so it seems fair, at least to me, that large groceries limit that as well. I understand that there are products that are essential and not covered by EBT such as hardware items. Your toilet breaks, you need to fix it. But IMO, all these stores should be keeping to the 10 customer at a time rule that we have in some states.

I went to tractor supply today to pick up feed. It was PACKED and most of the customers weren't buying or didn't know what they were buying. Now is not the time to pick up a cool pair of cowboy boots. Pre-order and curbside pick up like the rest of us.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
YoYiggy
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

He is delusional.
Deleted User 203

Unread post

Francee89 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:17 pm
AZLizardLady wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:28 pm
Francee89 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:44 pm President Donald Trump said Tuesday he wants to have the country getting back to business by the Easter holiday, April 12, even as the coronavirus pandemic continues to worsen.

“I would love to have the country opened up and raring to go by Easter,” Trump said during a Fox News interview.

I see nothing wrong with having a goal and trying to maintain some sense of optimism in a world where there are constant bad news stories and despair.

However, keep it realistic (the goal) and anticipate having to move the goal post.

IOW, as the old saying goes, if wishes and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a beautiful....uh....Easter.
As you said, keep it realistic. Is Easter at all a realistic timeframe to encourage “packed” churches? No.
Pretty much stated it was not a realistic goal.
KnotaDinghy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I’d personally like the country opened back up also. And I think Trump is listening to Dr Birx and Dr Fauchi. We probably can start relaxing locations around the country as testing shows there isn’t a lot of penetration in that area.

He said we’ll have to see what things look like.

He only gave dates after being badgered for 4 straight days by the media repeated asking him how long this will last and when will he advise to “reopen”.
“You’re either on drugs or retarded.
Nobody posts the crap you post unless they’re abnormal.” - derp
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

KnotaDinghy wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:50 pm I’d personally like the country opened back up also. And I think Trump is listening to Dr Birx and Dr Fauchi. We probably can start relaxing locations around the country as testing shows there isn’t a lot of penetration in that area.

He said we’ll have to see what things look like.

He only gave dates after being badgered for 4 straight days by the media repeated asking him how long this will last and when will he advise to “reopen”.
Dr. Fauci said last Friday, before Trump’s tweet and proposed Easter date (because he thinks it would be “beautiful”) that he didn’t foresee it being over in two or three weeks, while Trump has mentioned relaxing guidelines even before his proposed Easter date: https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-fauci ... a11f8.html. What about that seems like Trump is listening to him?

How do you keep penetration out of those areas when all it takes is one person going there from an area with more infections and causing an outbreak that will spread as people go back to work using public transit, communal office spaces and densely packed social spaces like bars and movies and theatres? That failed in Italy.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

KnotaDinghy wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:50 pm I’d personally like the country opened back up also.
Everyone wants the country opened back up. Trump is demonstrating one of America’s ugliest traits, the inability to sacrifice. It’s been a week and he is bitching and moaning on Twitter, setting a bad example.

The problem with “opening up” some of the country is that people in the heavily infected areas will head to those open areas bringing the virus with them. We need to do it as a nation or it’s not going to work.
Locked Previous topicNext topic