Debit / Credit / Tap Only

Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:46 pm
KendallsMom wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:25 pm I honestly can't remember the last time I used cash for anything.

And I shop. A lot.
I shop a lot too and I use both. I like to tip with cash so I always have cash with me.
Do you ever include your tip on your card?
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Conweis wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:29 pm
LiveWhatULove wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:09 pm I think that has been the preferable method for years around my area. I prefer us Apple Pay mostly. And I actually shop more at Walmart & Sam's club due to their mobile phone payment options.

Sorry, anon1, but I find cash is archaic. I personally do not want the hassle of carrying about currency that can be lost & stolen, and it takes longer to use at the check out. But to each their own.

But checks, don't even get me started, LOL!
Having a cash amount is a good way to stay on budget. I want to only spend $50 at the store but I know I have $250 on my card.... oh well if I go over a little, compared to knowing the cash I have on hand is the only amount I can use.
For staying on a budget, different methods work for different people. I prefer the rewards of using a credit card for everything (and we use the for almost everything). Also, good credit cards have insurances that are not available with debit and cash purchases.

So for staying on a budget, I have a monthly Excel spreadsheet that I use as we can track credit card purchases within 24 hours of making them.
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:33 pm
LiveWhatULove wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:09 pm I think that has been the preferable method for years around my area. I prefer us Apple Pay mostly. And I actually shop more at Walmart & Sam's club due to their mobile phone payment options.

Sorry, anon1, but I find cash is archaic. I personally do not want the hassle of carrying about currency that can be lost & stolen, and it takes longer to use at the check out. But to each their own.

But checks, don't even get me started, LOL!
Having a cash amount is a good way to stay on budget. I want to only spend $50 at the store but I know I have $250 on my card.... oh well if I go over a little, compared to knowing the cash I have on hand is the only amount I can use.
Mind games, if you have a card, you have a card. I have read Dave Ramsey and I still don't get the money in the envelope mind trick. LOL, if you can stop at $50 of cash & not pull out the card, then why can't you just stop before you spend 50$ period, even when using the card. It takes the same amount of self-control in my mind.
Agreed. We use credit cards for almost every single purchase, including property taxes.
Catdaughter20
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:02 pm
Catdaughter20 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:58 pm
MonarchMom wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:52 pm

I have two factors that put me in the high risk category and I live within 20 miles of a fast growing "hot spot." In my county are over 200 cases, and there were 33 new cases and 4 deaths yesterday alone. So what sounds paranoid to you seems like a good idea to me. I really do not want to get this, and do not want to end up in the hospital system.

The cash dries out in about an hour sitting on a paper towel on my sunny enclosed porch. Not a big deal and gives us peace of mind.
I have never heard of ANYONE that actually washes money, what a paranoid freak you are.
Well, you sound like one of those women who pays with sweaty boob money, so there's that.
Nope, I have a coin purse I use.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Linda_Runs wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:03 pm
KendallsMom wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:25 pm I honestly can't remember the last time I used cash for anything.

And I shop. A lot.
I shop a lot too and I use both. I like to tip with cash so I always have cash with me.
If I have to but I know cash is usually better for service people
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Linda_Runs wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:06 pm

Mind games, if you have a card, you have a card. I have read Dave Ramsey and I still don't get the money in the envelope mind trick. LOL, if you can stop at $50 of cash & not pull out the card, then why can't you just stop before you spend 50$ period, even when using the card. It takes the same amount of self-control in my mind.
Agreed. We use credit cards for almost every single purchase, including property taxes.
Right? cash back is the best!
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:35 pm
Linda_Runs wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:03 pm

If I have to but I know cash is usually better for service people
I am not sure how it is there, but here the tax department assumes that service industry front line workers (servers) get 10% on top of their salaries.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Linda_Runs wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:54 am I have noticed that so many places are not accepting cash as a form of payment. The preferable method seems to be credit or debit card tap, then insert with a PIN.

Who else has noticed that in their areas?
Our coronavirus stimulus bill here in the US, one of the things the democrats rammed in there is going to digital currency, among other things that have nothing to do with getting relief to suffering Americans. Cashless society is part of the new world order/one world government agenda. That's why you're noticing it more prominently now.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:46 pm
Linda_Runs wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:06 pm

Right? cash back is the best!
For some cards like the Costco MasterCard, cash back is the best. For our travel card (Visa Infinite Passport), travel cash is absolutely the best. We can redeem the cash value for products as well, but nothing is better than their direct cash for travel booking program.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:38 pm
Catdaughter20 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:23 pm
MonarchMom wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:19 pm Here they want "touch-less" payment. So credit card or debit that you can slide yourself and the cashier doesn't have to touch the card. Or Apple Pay or similar that involves no touching. Dollar bills in particular seem to carry a lot of germs and endanger the cashiers.

We have already soaked all our cash in bleach and try not to use it when possible. I prefer the chip card reader so no one touches my CC and I don't handle any cash.
You soaked your money in bleach? Did I read that right?
Dumbest thing ever. Maybe she's planning on changing them to larger bills. We got one once that had been a $5 that had been bleached, and then printed at as a $50.
Absolutely nothing dumb about it. Money is the dirtiest, filthiest thing on the planet. It's probably got as many germs as the bottom of your shoe, and you wouldn't handle that, carry it around and put it in your pocket.

Especially if she's compromised, I think it makes good sense. My dad is 79, a heart patient and in kidney failure. He went to the bank today and did some "money laundering" of his own. He set it on the counter, sprayed it with Lysol then wiped it off. Turned it over and did the other side. The cloth was black there was so much dirt.

You should really educate yourself before you call anyone dumb.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Locked Previous topicNext topic