Colleges and Universities around us are wanting to go to all online classes the rest of the semester.

stilltfez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Most NY colleges are going on line and for some schools there are foreign students who will have to still be housed and fed on campus. This is a mess.
Total absence of humor renders life impossible
famousglm714
Regent
Regent

Unread post

They just closed one school in our district and they’re making an announcement at 6. I bet they’re all about to be closed. U of M Dearborn is online only and once the big ones start doing it, it’s down the line from there.
JoJo728
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:10 pm
JoJo728 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:00 pm My daughter is currently on spring break (she came home). We just got notification today that they are asking students not to return. Classes will resume next Wednesday with remote learning. They are working on solutions for labs/hands-on classes.

Dorms will be open next weekend for resident students to grab whatever textbooks they need. If a student does need to go back to the dorms to live, they will accommodate but they have to fill out a form. They will distance learn from their dorm. My DD will stay home - she did bring all her text books home because there was talk of this. No specific end date but internal gossip is 2 weeks. My nephew's college is doing the distance thing until 3/31.
How far is home from the college? I would imagine this is a great hardship for some of the students. Is she bringing any other students home with her?
We are a 3 hour drive from school. She is already home since spring break started last weekend. No one came home with her. Most kids are home already or on trips and will have to return home instead of school.
Msprekteacher
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Also, spring break is upon us which means people will be or are traveling. I wasn’t being sarcastic when I say let’s prepare. While the virus doesn’t scare me it worries me for those who are medically fragile who WILL be exposed.

WellPreserved wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:39 pm
Msprekteacher wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:27 pm PITT, Slippery Rock and Duquesne just closed face to face classes. We were just told today that we need to have a month of lesson plans prepared and materials ready to go home in the event of a district closure. In PA all of our cases are East, we only have 15 and we are near Pgh...but let’s prepare...
I think this is part of the concern:

Mike Baker
@ByMikeBaker
Total number of confirmed U.S. coronavirus cases at each Tuesday:
Jan. 14 — 0
Jan. 21 — 1
Jan. 28 — 5
Feb. 4 — 11
Feb. 11 — 14
Feb. 18 — 25
Feb. 25 — 59
Mar. 3 — 125
Mar. 10 — 1,004

On Tuesday, we were where Italy was 10 days ago.
mojogirl
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:39 pm
Msprekteacher wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:27 pm PITT, Slippery Rock and Duquesne just closed face to face classes. We were just told today that we need to have a month of lesson plans prepared and materials ready to go home in the event of a district closure. In PA all of our cases are East, we only have 15 and we are near Pgh...but let’s prepare...
I think this is part of the concern:

Mike Baker
@ByMikeBaker
Total number of confirmed U.S. coronavirus cases at each Tuesday:
Jan. 14 — 0
Jan. 21 — 1
Jan. 28 — 5
Feb. 4 — 11
Feb. 11 — 14
Feb. 18 — 25
Feb. 25 — 59
Mar. 3 — 125
Mar. 10 — 1,004

On Tuesday, we were where Italy was 10 days ago.
To be fair, Italy only has a population of 60.5M to the 362.2M in the US.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

mojogirl wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:37 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:30 pm
mojogirl wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:25 pm I work at a major university (70k students) and its looking highly likely we'll be going online. Yes, those in the lowest paying jobs, custodial, dining, maintenance, will be the most impacted. The rest of us can pretty much do our job from home and still get paid.
And the small businesses surrounding the university that rely on student customers.
Yep. The impact to the community will be hard. This is a college town, a one horse city. It's entire existence is based on the university and those 70k students.
My gut drops reading that. I can't even imagine, overnight, you're done.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Anonymous 2

Unread post

My DD isn't going to be able to graduate on time now.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

They are closing colleges for two weeks in Florida after spring break. Well the campus will be open but classes will go remote access only.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:01 am They are closing colleges for two weeks in Florida after spring break. Well the campus will be open but classes will go remote access only.
That sounds about like what dd’s university is doing. Friday is their last day of classes before spring break. After they return from spring break, classes will be done remotely for 2 weeks though one of dd’s profs got approved to do it for 3 weeks because she’s immunodeficient and receiving chemotherapy. The school also has been waving in class attendance for the past 2 weeks. Any student immunodeficient or sick has been told to email their prof, as long as they turn their work in, they’re in class attendance isn’t negatively impacted. The school did pull all their study abroad programs. Most of which started in February. All students in the study abroad were refunded and will receive a partial credits as elective courses and were offered summer courses tuition free.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:16 am
Pjmm wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:01 am They are closing colleges for two weeks in Florida after spring break. Well the campus will be open but classes will go remote access only.
That sounds about like what dd’s university is doing. Friday is their last day of classes before spring break. After they return from spring break, classes will be done remotely for 2 weeks though one of dd’s profs got approved to do it for 3 weeks because she’s immunodeficient and receiving chemotherapy. The school also has been waving in class attendance for the past 2 weeks. Any student immunodeficient or sick has been told to email their prof, as long as they turn their work in, they’re in class attendance isn’t negatively impacted. The school did pull all their study abroad programs. Most of which started in February. All students in the study abroad were refunded and will receive a partial credits as elective courses and were offered summer courses tuition free.
Right. I can't imagine the college would tell their entire graduating class of nurses so sorry you're screwed without at least attempting clinics over the summer or something. But idk.
Locked Previous topicNext topic