Lying about where dead people go

Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

We are Christians - Catholics, but we are not a huge practicing family. We used to a few years ago. Anyway, I personally am having an issue about the existence of heaven or hell. However, for our children, we certainly tell them about heaven. It's not really lying to them because we are not certain ourselves.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 6 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:03 pm It's no one else's business what an individual thinks about a possible afterlife.
If they want to talk about it, it is. I have no problem sharing my faith and beliefs with those that ask. Sometimes you open someone else's mind by doing that. I don't find that offensive at all.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

That'swhatshesaid wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:14 am People have their own beliefs and own ways of grieving. It's not for you to decide how someone else grieves.
EXACTLY. I would be absolutely despondent when I lost a loved one if I didn't carry the thought that we were all meeting up again after this is all over down here. I'd have a hard time continuing on without that knowledge.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

The typical Hell in Christianity is just Dante’s version of what the original Hel in Norse would seem like in his mind.

For whatever reason, it seems to have been created into a fact of the Christian religion now.
“ I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night “ - Sarah Williams
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Well, there is a “hell”, but it’s a state of cleansing and it’s temporary. Judaism also believes in reincarnation.
I guess one of the best examples I heard of the Jewish idea of an afterlife is that you should imagine you earn an all expense trip to a luxury resort with your partner. There’s no TV, phones or internet, nothing to distract you from spending all that time with your partner. Now, if before that trip you have worked on that relationship, nurtured and bonded with your partner, it’s like you’re in “heaven”, but if your relationship has been neglectful, you haven’t worked on it, have ignored your partner, then it’s going to be “hell”. Obviously this is analogy of us and G-d.
A rabbi also once told us that it’s like a theatre, where you will see the most amazing show ever. Our deeds determine our seat in the theatre. Good deeds, improving yourself, forming a relationship with G-d give you a better seat, transgressions and just cruising by in life will give you worst seats. So ultimately we all end up in the same “place”, we watch the same “show” but how we experience that show and whether we enjoy it or hate it depends on what seats we “earned in life.
Valentina327 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:07 pm
Momto2boys973 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:47 pm Well... according to my beliefs there is a heaven, but not a hell. At least not the Christian version of hell that’s vengeful and eternal.
What's hell in Judaism? [If you don't mind my asking]

Is it the emptiness of the eternal separation from the Father? There's no fire and torture as in Christianity?

Judaism has always interested me, so I ask questions when folks don't mind answering.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
stilltfez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:02 pm That person went to heaven, they say. The same people that don't even believe that there is a heaven. They have no clue where that person went.

2 days ago:
Me: When people die they go to heaven or hell.

Other person: There is no heaven or hell. When you're dead, you're dead.

*Known person dies

Other person: They went to heaven! Heaven... Heaven... Heaven! Angel wings... Watching over us from heaven... Blah, blah, blah...

Suddenly, heaven is a real place... But not hell 🙄

No one knows. Is there heaven? Hell? A grass field full of puppies and kittens? Nothingness? By the time we find out, it's too late to share it.
Total absence of humor renders life impossible
stilltfez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Hit send too soon. My Mom wanted to join my Dad. In her mind he was in heaven. I hope that for her sake, there was a heaven and Dad was sitting on a bench, with her Mom, waiting for her. Do I believe it? I don't know but I hope it for her.
Total absence of humor renders life impossible
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:54 am Well, there is a “hell”, but it’s a state of cleansing and it’s temporary. Judaism also believes in reincarnation.
I guess one of the best examples I heard of the Jewish idea of an afterlife is that you should imagine you earn an all expense trip to a luxury resort with your partner. There’s no TV, phones or internet, nothing to distract you from spending all that time with your partner. Now, if before that trip you have worked on that relationship, nurtured and bonded with your partner, it’s like you’re in “heaven”, but if your relationship has been neglectful, you haven’t worked on it, have ignored your partner, then it’s going to be “hell”. Obviously this is analogy of us and G-d.
A rabbi also once told us that it’s like a theatre, where you will see the most amazing show ever. Our deeds determine our seat in the theatre. Good deeds, improving yourself, forming a relationship with G-d give you a better seat, transgressions and just cruising by in life will give you worst seats. So ultimately we all end up in the same “place”, we watch the same “show” but how we experience that show and whether we enjoy it or hate it depends on what seats we “earned in life.
Momto2boys973 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:47 pm Well... according to my beliefs there is a heaven, but not a hell. At least not the Christian version of hell that’s vengeful and eternal.

Is it the emptiness of the eternal separation from the Father? There's no fire and torture as in Christianity?

Judaism has always interested me, so I ask questions when folks don't mind answering.
Thank you Mom. That is a really interesting view. :)
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:58 am
Momto2boys973 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:54 am Well, there is a “hell”, but it’s a state of cleansing and it’s temporary. Judaism also believes in reincarnation.

Thank you Mom. That is a really interesting view. :)
It reminds me of the Catholics version of Purgatory. People go there for cleansing before they go to heaven. I guess Peter and the other apostles were influenced by their former Jewish beliefs and passed them onto Paul. A good book is The Great Divorce by CS Lewis. In order to get to heaven people have to face uncomfortable truths about themselves. Many refuse and return to hell.
Anonymous 7

Unread post

That's really weird. I wonder why Christianity is different.
Locked Previous topicNext topic