Concussion help

Anonymous 1

Unread post

My daughter plays b ball and last night’s game was a bit physical. Several times the girls were on the floor fighting for the ball. She doesn’t remember specifically getting hit in the head but all of the sudden had a throbbing headache above her eye, lights were too bright and the noise was too much. The outer part of her eye was red and looked scratched. I assumed she had a migraine and maybe a scratched eye. We went home and she took Tylenol and a shower and went to bed. Today she tried to go to school but ended up coming home. She has an appointment soon at the doctor. What care needs to be taken if it’sa concussion and how will they know if it is? Is it just a guess or are they pretty easy to diagnose?
caustib
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I think they generally just err on the side of caution and assume it's a concussion. Unless she starts vomiting or fainting, then they might do a CT scan.
LuckyEightWow
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

They’ll err on the side it is and order her to rest, sometimes in a darkened room, and have you check her often.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I don't know how they diagnose them now. My boys have never had one.

I had one many years ago but it was very obvious. My dad and I were bike riding and I fell, no helmet, and conked my head against the pavement. I was unconscious for a short time. I remember going down, and then the next thing I remember the EMT's were already there removing my bike from between my legs. So the time it took for a neighboring house to call 911 (this was before cell phones were common) and the EMTs to get there was how long I was out. Pretty obvious I had a concussion.

But what I remember the next day is that I couldn't keep anything down. Kept vomiting. My dad took me back to the hospital and they asked what I was drinking. My dad had been giving me orange juice. They said that was the reason. They said only clear liquids for a couple days and the vomiting should stop. And it did.
Rosehawk
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

LuckyEightWow wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:52 pm They’ll err on the side it is and order her to rest, sometimes in a darkened room, and have you check her often.
They've changed that recently. Rest is best for a concussion. No screens, massive blue light filter, I don't think you can even read a hard copy book. But waking every 2 hours has been proven detrimental to concussion recovery.
I used to be a people person
Then people ruined it
LuckyEightWow
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Rosehawk wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:14 pm
LuckyEightWow wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:52 pm They’ll err on the side it is and order her to rest, sometimes in a darkened room, and have you check her often.
They've changed that recently. Rest is best for a concussion. No screens, massive blue light filter, I don't think you can even read a hard copy book. But waking every 2 hours has been proven detrimental to concussion recovery.
I didn’t say wake her, but mom will still need to check on her.
agander2017
Monkey's Mama
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I've heard that if you shine a light in her eyes, and the pupils change, but don't go right back to normal, it's a sign of a concussion. I don't know how true that is though. I hope she's okay. She could have gotten poked in the eye or something, and then had a really bad migraine on top of it.

highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Has she had baseline testing done? If so they will compare her initial results with the new ones. For right now I would keep her off any electronics and no TV. If she has one these are the first things to go.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

What was the ref doing during this game? Was there no one trained in first aid on site?
Lotus
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I play ice hockey and have had one.
Those are definitely markers for one but without a CT its only a guess.
Time and rest are the only prescribed therapy that I know of. Recovery is different for everyone as no two are alike.
Locked Previous topicNext topic