CLASSY: Impeachment witness jokes about Barron Trump’s name

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Francee89 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:19 pm
BionicBunny wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:15 pm
Francee89 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:41 pm

Why would mocking a child be acceptable simply because they’re engaging in activism? No one is arguing that the substance of the arguments Greta or any other teen activist is making is immune to criticism, but how is an adult mocking them personally okay? Did Melania’s anti-bullying slogan change to #BeBest (Unless They’re Saying Something You Don’t Like, Then Get Them!)?

No one attacked or insulted Barron personally in any manner. Which begs the question of why Melania and Kayleigh were radio silent when their husband/boss actually made fun of a child, while having a pearl clutching meltdown about the mere mention of Barron’s name. What does that say about them?
Are you talking about Trumps sarcasm when he said she sounded like a happy young woman? It was sarcasm. It wasn’t off the rails. It wasn’t worse than the professor using Barron to take a jab at Trump.
Comments like that are made about adults. I guess some people just don’t get sarcasm. Would you have felt the same way and be bringing Greta up if she was 20 instead of 16? If there was a 20 year old who started yelling at adults and had a melt down and started crying and yelling, would it bother you if someone was sarcastic. Even better, what if it was Melania or Trumps daughter and someone said she sounds like a happy young woman. Would it upset you?
Yes. He was absolutely mocking her. If it was “no worse” than this professor, where were Melania and Kayleigh’s horrified statements then?

She’s a child, just like Barron, making the imaginary scenario of her as a 20 year old irrelevant. Sarcastic mocking of her is absolutely worse than a professor not insulting or attacking Barron whatsoever but using his name to discuss the limits of Presidential authority with a Barron/baron pun, for which she apologized. It’s simply rich to see people like Melania and Kayleigh have a meltdown about what was literally just the mention of Barron’s name stay dead silent when their husband and boss mock another teenager, which serves to highlight how entirely full of shit they are when they try to lecture others on civility and good behavior.

And yes, I’d think it was wrong if someone mocked Trump’s imaginary minor daughter because she was passionate in a speech. Her arguments would certainly be fair game, but there’d be no need to make fun of her. His politically active adult children are fair game.

One of Trump’s golf buddies, someone whose pro-Trump commentary he cites on Twitter, is Rush Limbaugh. Rush once called then-12 year old Chelsea Clinton the “White House dog”, something that would constitute an actual insult. I somehow don’t think mocking children is something he finds to be a personal dealbreaker.
And that is exactly why so many people have said a CHILD has no place in politics, being an activist and going all over the place crying and yelling at adults. She is a child. She is overly emotional.
I didn’t ask about Trumps imaginary minor daughter. I asked about his adult daughter. I was referring to Ivanka. And asked about Melania. It wouldn’t bother you a bit if either of those women started crying and yelling at people and someone was sarcastic about them. That’s why a child doesn’t belong in the spotlight in discussion and telling adults what they should do in politics. If it is wrong to treat them just as you would an adult doing that then they have no place.
This is a theme I have been seeing over several years now being played out. Certain people like to use children for political gain. The second you criticize them or “ mock” them by being sarcastic you are demonized. Shame on those who use children this way. It’s exploiting.
I didn’t like any of the attacks on Chelsea Clinton either. She was a child and she wasn’t out there in any politics at the time. It was very wrong. Of course at that time you also didn’t see certain political figures out there using children for politics on guns or climate change either.
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BionicBunny wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:52 pm
BionicBunny wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:15 pm

Are you talking about Trumps sarcasm when he said she sounded like a happy young woman? It was sarcasm. It wasn’t off the rails. It wasn’t worse than the professor using Barron to take a jab at Trump.
Comments like that are made about adults. I guess some people just don’t get sarcasm. Would you have felt the same way and be bringing Greta up if she was 20 instead of 16? If there was a 20 year old who started yelling at adults and had a melt down and started crying and yelling, would it bother you if someone was sarcastic. Even better, what if it was Melania or Trumps daughter and someone said she sounds like a happy young woman. Would it upset you?
Yes. He was absolutely mocking her. If it was “no worse” than this professor, where were Melania and Kayleigh’s horrified statements then?

She’s a child, just like Barron, making the imaginary scenario of her as a 20 year old irrelevant. Sarcastic mocking of her is absolutely worse than a professor not insulting or attacking Barron whatsoever but using his name to discuss the limits of Presidential authority with a Barron/baron pun, for which she apologized. It’s simply rich to see people like Melania and Kayleigh have a meltdown about what was literally just the mention of Barron’s name stay dead silent when their husband and boss mock another teenager, which serves to highlight how entirely full of shit they are when they try to lecture others on civility and good behavior.

And yes, I’d think it was wrong if someone mocked Trump’s imaginary minor daughter because she was passionate in a speech. Her arguments would certainly be fair game, but there’d be no need to make fun of her. His politically active adult children are fair game.

One of Trump’s golf buddies, someone whose pro-Trump commentary he cites on Twitter, is Rush Limbaugh. Rush once called then-12 year old Chelsea Clinton the “White House dog”, something that would constitute an actual insult. I somehow don’t think mocking children is something he finds to be a personal dealbreaker.
And that is exactly why so many people have said a CHILD has no place in politics, being an activist and going all over the place crying and yelling at adults. She is a child. She is overly emotional.
I didn’t ask about Trumps imaginary minor daughter. I asked about his adult daughter. I was referring to Ivanka. And asked about Melania. It wouldn’t bother you but if either of those women started crying and yelling at people and someone was sarcastic about them. That’s why a child doesn’t belong in the spotlight in discussion and telling adults what they should do in politics. If it is wrong to treat them just as you would an adult doing that then they have no place.
This is a theme I have been seeing over several years now being played out. Certain people like to use children for political gain. The second you criticize them or “ mock” them by being sarcastic you are demonized. Shame on those who use children this way. It’s exploiting.
I didn’t like any of the attacks on Chelsea Clinton either. She was a child and she wasn’t out there in any politics at the time. It was very wrong. Of course at that time you also didn’t see certain political figures out there using children for politics on guns or climate change either.
Melania met a conservative gun rights activist Parkland survivor at the White House. He became a spokesperson for the pro-Trump group Turning Point USA, which would suggest Melania doesn’t think teen activists are wrong. It’s entirely possible for children to engage politically, be vigorously debated and still not have adults personally attack them - that’s not a more unreasonable solution than telling them to stay out of politics because adults would have to engage on substance, not personal attacks.

Are you suggesting adults aren’t “overly emotional” too? Because there’s plenty of emotional displays from them in politics too. Trump’s own Twitter meltdowns, rants and childish personal attacks come to mind...

If Melania actually cared about children being personally attacked in the course of politics, we would have seen something from her when her darling husband mocked Greta Thunberg. But nope.
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Francee89 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:03 pm

I didn’t ask about Trumps imaginary minor daughter. I asked about his adult daughter. I was referring to Ivanka. And asked about Melania. It wouldn’t bother you but if either of those women started crying and yelling at people and someone was sarcastic about them. That’s why a child doesn’t belong in the spotlight in discussion and telling adults what they should do in politics. If it is wrong to treat them just as you would an adult doing that then they have no place.
Melania met a conservative gun rights activist Parkland survivor at the White House. He became a spokesperson for the pro-Trump group Turning Point USA, which would suggest Melania doesn’t think teen activists are wrong. It’s entirely possible for children to engage politically and not have adults personally attack them - that’s not a more unreasonable solution than telling them to stay out of politics because adults would have to engage on substance, not personal attacks.

Are you suggesting adults aren’t “overly emotional” too? Because there’s plenty of emotional displays from them in politics too. Trump’s own Twitter meltdowns, rants and childish personal attacks come to mind...

If Melania actually cared about children being personally attacked in the course of politics, we would have seen something from her when her darling husband mocked Greta Thunberg. But nope.
The point has lost you. If the child is going to act like an adult and be in politics and be an activist then they get treated like an adult. When there is criticism or even “ mocking” or jokes made it shouldn’t be treated any different than if it were an adult. So Greta being a “ child” means nothing here. She is to be treated just like any other activist. If you are going to play the part you get the criticism that comes with it. Don’t complain that it’s a kid.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

BionicBunny wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:40 pm
CockatooCrazyColt529 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:14 pm
Valentina327 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:50 pm

The President chooses this. The family just gets dragged into it whether they like it or not.
"I think when you put yourself in the public eye, you have to expect criticism. Hollywood, musicians, activists - if you want the notoriety, you have to accept the negative that goes with that."

Is this not the negative that goes along with this?
They have done a good job keeping Barron out of the spotlight. It isn’t their fault and certainly not Barrons fault when people like this cross the line.
Why are they keeping him out of the spotlight? There's nothing wrong with the photos of the first family. It's tradition to show the First Family yet I couldn't find one picture of the three of them together.

I could only find this one with the step-daughter in the picture.

BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Can you blame them? With all this hate I would keep my child out of public view too. I wouldn’t want him being a target.
Lemons wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:17 pm
CockatooCrazyColt529 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:14 pm

"I think when you put yourself in the public eye, you have to expect criticism. Hollywood, musicians, activists - if you want the notoriety, you have to accept the negative that goes with that."

Is this not the negative that goes along with this?
They have done a good job keeping Barron out of the spotlight. It isn’t their fault and certainly not Barrons fault when people like this cross the line.
Why are they keeping him out of the spotlight? There's nothing wrong with the photos of the first family. It's tradition to show the First Family yet I couldn't find one picture of the three of them together.

Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

First, Trump gets the hate back that he gives. Have you heard him speak at his rallies? He is full of hate.

Second, there were plenty of people hating Obama. Clinton too. How many people claimed to vote for Trump because they hated Hillary? That didn't stop them from living their lives. I have a feeling that this last child isn't a big part of Trump's life.
BionicBunny wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:23 pm Can you blame them? With all this hate I would keep my child out of public view too. I wouldn’t want him being a target.

Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BionicBunny wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:08 pm

Melania met a conservative gun rights activist Parkland survivor at the White House. He became a spokesperson for the pro-Trump group Turning Point USA, which would suggest Melania doesn’t think teen activists are wrong. It’s entirely possible for children to engage politically and not have adults personally attack them - that’s not a more unreasonable solution than telling them to stay out of politics because adults would have to engage on substance, not personal attacks.

The point has lost you. If the child is going to act like an adult and be in politics and be an activist then they get treated like an adult. When there is criticism or even “ mocking” or jokes made it shouldn’t be treated any different than if it were an adult. So Greta being a “ child” means nothing here. She is to be treated just like any other activist. If you are going to play the part you get the criticism that comes with it. Don’t complain that it’s a kid.
No, I follow the point you’re trying to make, I simply disagree with it. The child can be an activist, their arguments can be vigorously debated and yet it can be expected that adults don’t personally attack or mock them. It’s not some kind of impossible standard to expect adults to engage seriously but respectfully with children.

Why is she “to be treated just like any other activist”, as though that’s some kind of established fact? Wouldn’t it #BeBest for an adult to thoroughly disprove the kid’s argument without being rude to or about the kid? Seems like a very simple concept the creator and spokesperson for an anti-bullying, pro-youth wellness campaign might understand and speak out about!
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I’m not arguing against Trump giving hate and getting back what he gives. I’m just saying with all the hate I would protect my child too.
I didn’t like the criticism Chelsea Clinton got when the Clintons were in office either. The most I heard about Obama’s kids were if they were wearing appropriate clothes.
I have a feeling there is a little more to keeping him out of the spotlight too but I don’t think it’s because he isn’t a big part of Trumps life.
Lemons wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:30 pm First, Trump gets the hate back that he gives. Have you heard him speak at his rallies? He is full of hate.

Second, there were plenty of people hating Obama. Clinton too. How many people claimed to vote for Trump because they hated Hillary? That didn't stop them from living their lives. I have a feeling that this last child isn't a big part of Trump's life.
BionicBunny wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:23 pm Can you blame them? With all this hate I would keep my child out of public view too. I wouldn’t want him being a target.

BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Francee89 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:33 pm

No, I follow the point you’re trying to make, I simply disagree with it. The child can be an activist, their arguments can be vigorously debated and yet it can be expected that adults don’t personally attack or mock them. It’s not some kind of impossible standard to expect adults to engage seriously but respectfully with children.

Why is she “to be treated just like any other activist”, as though that’s some kind of established fact? Wouldn’t it #BeBest for an adult to thoroughly disprove the kid’s argument without being rude to or about the kid? Seems like a very simple concept the creator and spokesperson for an anti-bullying, pro-youth wellness campaign might understand and speak out about!
We can agree to disagree then. The child should expect to be just like any other activist because they are speaking on adult subjects. Yes adults can discuss without attacks but adults don’t even do that to each other. So if it’s ok to mock Melania Trump or Ivanka Trump in politics then there should be no double standard when the person is under 18 years old.
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BionicBunny wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:37 pm
Francee89 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:33 pm

We can agree to disagree then. The child should expect to be just like any other activist because they are speaking on adult subjects. Yes adults can discuss without attacks but adults don’t even do that to each other. So if it’s ok to mock Melanesia Trump or Ivanka Trump in politics then there should be no double standard when the person is under 18 years old.
Yes, we disagree then. I’d say most people have engaged with a child in an age appropriate, firm but respectful manner at some point in their personal or professional life. It’s not some kind of impossible ask or expectation. And as I said, given that Melania claims to care about childhood bullying and the emotional well-being of children, one would think that’s a standard she’d support and wouldn’t stay silent on when her husband mocked a teenage activist.
Locked Previous topicNext topic