Boys going in the ladies bathroom with Mom

mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I rarely take my son out alone. My husband is with me. However, if I do, I have to take him in the ladies restroom unless the men’s restroom is one bathroom and not stalls. If it’s one room, I can stand outside the bathroom and peek in on him. He can do his thing but has to be told what to do. I can’t do that if there are men in the bathroom with him. If there is a family restroom, we will use that but where I live there is rarely family restrooms. My son is 16 and very special needs.

As far as having a NT son go in the bathroom with me, I wouldn’t know. I’ve found that having a sn son has caused me to judge parents less. If they are doing their best, I’ve nothing to say about it. Every mom knows their child and they most likely will do whatever it is that’s best for them. Whatever that is...is fine with me.
WickedPissah
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

KendallsMom wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:02 am
WickedPissah wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:18 am I rarely go into public bathrooms, so i don't care.
Exactly.

I avoid those things like the plague.
They're so disgusting thankfully i can pee standing up if I have to empty my bag.
I shit glitter
Deleted User 1393

Unread post

Anonymous 7 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:17 am
iamanon wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:11 pm I had 2 boys less than a year apart. At around age 6 they started to go into the boys bathroom together.
Less than a year apart?!
Often siblings born less than a year apart are called Irish Twins. I don't know why or the origin of this its just something I was told often.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:51 pm https://www.kxxv.com/news/national/12-y ... nxepvTECig

So this article about a 12yo boy being molested in the walmart mens room prompted a lot of comments from women saying they will never let their boys go in the mens room alone. Some were saying they still take their 12 yo boys in. One mom said she takes her 9 & 7 yo boys in the ladies room and makes them go in the big handicapped stall with her. I think that is ridiculous. Of course I want kids to stay safe but at some point.... And yes I have boys. They stopped coming in with me around 6/7. And at age 9+ they would have absolutely refused. What are your thoughts on this?
So I read your link and it sounds like the boy handled it the best he could. He pushed the man away and ran out. It's even unclear if the guy actually touched his genitals or just tried to. But either way, distressful situation but handled well and the perp was arrested so the boy can hopefully put it behind him and move on.

And that's what we need to strive for - teaching our kids how to handle unpleasant situations. We will NEVER be able to fully protect them from unpleasant situations, but we can fully arm them to handle it and stand up for themselves.

And bringing them into the ladies room until they are 12yo and beyond is NOT arming them to handle their own situations. It's treating them like they are perpetually 4 years old.

My boys started going into the mens room themselves at age 5 in certain situations. It started with the small local grocery store bathroom where it was very easy for me to stand outside. Then we gradually moved on to bigger and bigger venues. I think by 8yo they were never coming in with me anymore.
Poietes
Regent
Regent

Unread post

KendallsMom wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:10 am
Anonymous 4 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:03 am

Exactly.

You must either never leave home for long or have a bladder of steel lol
Honestly it's a combination of both! And when you throw in the possibility of having to use a toilet that anyone and everyone has also just finished using...

Yeah. I'll hold it...lol.
What do you think will happen to you by using a public toilet? Just curious. I will never understand people's fear. I have never ever heard of anyone "catching" anything by using a public restroom.
”Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.”
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

WickedPissah wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:18 am I rarely go into public bathrooms, so i don't care.
Exactly.

I rarely use public restrooms as well and it's mostly because I'm just not out for that long. Everything is within a 5 or 10 minute drive and if I've spent an hour at the store I've been there long enough. It's definitely not long enough to need to use the restroom. Plus I'm the type that 3 or 4 hours between bathroom breaks is nothing and I've even gone 6 hours without even thinking about it. So yeah, rarely a need to begin with.
morgan
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

My children are never alone in public bathrooms. It's a hard rule in our family. And they won't be allowed to until they are big enough to not be a victim to perverted men. In BOTH mens and ladies rooms, unfortunately.
KAG
Mean Girl
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Exactly.

Honestly it's a combination of both! And when you throw in the possibility of having to use a toilet that anyone and everyone has also just finished using...

I am like you I can leave the house for over 12 hours and will not use a public restroom at all.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Exactly.

I am like you I can leave the house for over 12 hours and will not use a public restroom at all.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

morgan wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:31 pm My children are never alone in public bathrooms. It's a hard rule in our family. And they won't be allowed to until they are big enough to not be a victim to perverted men. In BOTH mens and ladies rooms, unfortunately.
Can I ask what is big enough, as grown men can be a victim. Also why are you just worried about perverted men and not perverted women. Also what do you do when they go to school and on a field trip.
Locked Previous topicNext topic