What do you think of this?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

The subject of Christmas came up this weekend. My sister said to not buy her son (age 6) any Christmas presents this year. Instead, give her money so she can buy him a new bed. She wants one of those loft beds with a desk underneath for him.
She and her husband can afford it so its not a money issue.
I don't think its my responsibility to donate money to buy him a new bed and will be buying him a Christmas present just like I do every year.

Anyway. What do you think?
leadfoot40
Regent
Regent

Unread post

i think its an awesome idea.
caustib
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Do you see them at Christmas? Like would you be put in a situation where people are unwrapping things and you wouldn't have a gift for him?
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Kinda sad. Furniture is more of a need than a gift. I’m glad my parents weren’t cheapskates, lol.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Oh, what’s the big deal? Maybe they want the big bed to be a family present. When my boys wanted an X-box, which they really didn’t need, I told them to pull together their birthday presents from the grandparents for it. They did it very happily. Now, could I alone have gotten it? Yes. But it was about teaching them appreciation for those big things. Maybe what they don’t want is to spoil their kid by having a bunch of presents on top of an expensive bed. So what’s the big deal to just do what they ask?
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Not if he has a perfectly good bed and he just wants something fancier.
Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:06 am Kinda sad. Furniture is more of a need than a gift. I’m glad my parents weren’t cheapskates, lol.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Anonymous 1

Unread post

caustib wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:03 am Do you see them at Christmas? Like would you be put in a situation where people are unwrapping things and you wouldn't have a gift for him?
Yes, we do Christmas at the parents house every year. I don't mind buying him some cool sheets or something like that to accessorize the new bed. But to donate money and he has nothing to open, no, not going to happen.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

She let you know something that is actually useful to get him, rather than just more toys. I wouldn't have any problem giving toward that.
caustib
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:09 am
caustib wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:03 am Do you see them at Christmas? Like would you be put in a situation where people are unwrapping things and you wouldn't have a gift for him?
Yes, we do Christmas at the parents house every year. I don't mind buying him some cool sheets or something like that to accessorize the new bed. But to donate money and he has nothing to open, no, not going to happen.
That's what I would do, too. 6 year olds dont understand chipping in on something like that as a gift. They just know they aren't unwrapping and everyone else is.
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

It's appalling to ask for money. It's up to the giver to decide not the parent.
Locked Previous topicNext topic