*LOCKED TOPIC* Gun shock: Majority support ‘mandatory buybacks’ of AR-15s

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

KnotaDinghy wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:23 pm
Momto2boys973 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:04 pm I’m with the majority here. There’s absolutely no need for any private citizen to own that kind of firearm. That’s not for protection, the name says it all: it’s an assault weapon.
If anyone says those are for protection, they are not. And assault weapons are already highly restricted from civilians.
Will you clarify your first sentence? If they aren't for protection, are you saying they for hunting?
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

CherryTreez wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:02 am
Momto2boys973 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:04 pm I’m with the majority here. There’s absolutely no need for any private citizen to own that kind of firearm. That’s not for protection, the name says it all: it’s an assault weapon.
Where is it in the name? I can't find it anyway.
Christ on a cracker, these guns are modeled after the M-16 and the original Kalashnikov.
306/232

Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

KnotaDinghy wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:31 pm Not shockingly, there were only 1,000 people surveyed and there is a 3.1% margin of error.

It’s interesting how this OP opinion piece flipped the survey results around and focused on this 51% number when Rasmussen didn’t, rather listing it as a secondary data finding.

This is why I hate polls and don’t believe them. 1,000 people cannot speak for 350 million.

And it’s also interesting how the OP talks about AR-15s and AKs but posters immediately flip the conversation to Assault Weapons.
They are modeled after true assault weapons, are they not?
306/232

BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

jas wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:08 am
CockatooCrazyColt529 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:13 pm He'll never get that to pass. If he wants to try, the best he could do is use gel dummies to show what these guns are capable of doing. However, he would also need to use other guns that are not semi-automatic to show their capabilities. That is, if he really wants to make a point.
Honestly, if he wants it to pass all he has to do is change mandatory to voluntary. It won't get all of them (which mandatory wouldn't either), but it will get quite a bit and it would be a start. Pass a law that those who own them are grandfathered in and are allowed to own them, however, they would not be allowed to sell or give or pass them down without the new owner being vetted.
I don’t think they are going to get all these guns either. The end result is they just get these guns from law abiding citizens that are not a threat.
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

iamanon wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:15 pm
KnotaDinghy wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:31 pm

And it’s also interesting how the OP talks about AR-15s and AKs but posters immediately flip the conversation to Assault Weapons.
That happens because as demonstrated in this group most people don't know the difference between the two types of weapons.

How many criminals will voluntarily turn in theirs?
Exactly. Even if it mandatory. How many criminals do they think will cooperate.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

BionicBunny wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:19 pm
CockatooCrazyColt529 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:13 pm He'll never get that to pass. If he wants to try, the best he could do is use gel dummies to show what these guns are capable of doing. However, he would also need to use other guns that are not semi-automatic to show their capabilities. That is, if he really wants to make a point.
Honestly, if he wants it to pass all he has to do is change mandatory to voluntary. It won't get all of them (which mandatory wouldn't either), but it will get quite a bit and it would be a start. Pass a law that those who own them are grandfathered in and are allowed to own them, however, they would not be allowed to sell or give or pass them down without the new owner being vetted.
I don’t think they are going to get all these guns either. The end result is they just get these guns from law abiding citizens that are not a threat.
Of course no one will get them all. I've already said that I don't believe most would sell them back to the government. But tell me...please...are these guns modeled after the M-16 or the original Kalashnikov? Have you ever even fired either?
306/232

BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

CockatooCrazyColt529 wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:53 pm

Of course no one will get them all. I've already said that I don't believe most would sell them back to the government. But tell me...please...are these guns modeled after the M-16 or the original Kalashnikov? Have you ever even fired either?
Why are you quoting me and asking me a question I didn’t even comment on. We get it! You have knowledge on guns and have fired them. My comment had nothing to do with that.
wildflowers25
Regent
Regent

Unread post

When the entire country is polled on this confiscation pandering he's doing, not buyback since the government didn't sell the guns in the first place, and the majority agrees with O'Rourke's idea then it will mean something. Until then, this is just more of him trying like hell to stay relevant.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

BionicBunny wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:56 pm

Why are you quoting me and asking me a question I didn’t even comment on. We get it! You have knowledge on guns and have fired them. My comment had nothing to do with that.
So you don't have an answer?
306/232

BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

CockatooCrazyColt529 wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:22 pm
BionicBunny wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:56 pm

So you don't have an answer?
Anyone can look this information up online if they wanted to research it. I don’t see your point in going in every damn post and trying to quiz everyone.
According to a quick search the AR15 is the civilian counterpart of the M16 and the AR15 came first. Both have the same magazine capacity of 30 rounds. The AR15 is heavier with shorter range and slower rate of fire.
Since the M16 came after the AR15 I would say the AR15 obviously wasn’t modeled after the M16. I don’t know why this question pertains to anything I said.
As for firing one, my husband was in the military and law enforcement. He had many guns, including an AR15. I didn’t shoot them often but I shot it once. I’m not a big gun enthusiast. It has never been my thing but if I have questions I’m sure I can go to my husband or search it on the internet.
Locked Previous topicNext topic