My son's English teacher just does not get it

Anonymous 17

Unread post

I was a figure skater who reported to the rink and her coach 5 days a week at 4:00 am. I traveled to compete all over the country. And I never needed special treatment to get all my work completed and turned in just like everyone else.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:33 pm
Bubbs wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:52 am My son is a great athlete
But school work comes first. Period.
School comes 1st to us too. It's just he has practice 5 days a week. And in weekends they do drills and he has trainer.
Anonymous 18

Unread post

Thanks for trolling.
Anonymous 17

Unread post

Now that's funny!

I remember that episode!
famousglm714 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:15 pm I have nothing of value to add but just wanted to say there is an episode of The Golden Girls like this, lol. Carry on.
famousglm714
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 17 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:08 pm Now that's funny!

I remember that episode!
famousglm714 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:15 pm I have nothing of value to add but just wanted to say there is an episode of The Golden Girls like this, lol. Carry on.
“Mrs. Zbornak eats shiitake mushrooms.” 😂
Anonymous 17

Unread post

Honest to God! That's exactly what came to mind for me, too! LMAO
famousglm714 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:12 pm

I remember that episode!
famousglm714
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 17 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:13 pm Honest to God! That's exactly what came to mind for me, too! LMAO

I remember that episode!

LMAO, love it! 😂
Conweis
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 14 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:04 pm
Conweis wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:47 pm
Anonymous 14 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:29 pm

For an athlete looking to play college sports, high school is preparation for college. It's that in general for all students, but especially for athletes. No one says her kid "has" to go pro, but from how she's talking about him, that looks to be the expectation. Or at the very least, an expectation that he will be a college player. To get a scholarship in any form requires a certain gpa range. Having teachers let students not do the work just to focus on sports does NO ONE any good. No college is going to play that game with her or her son.

Out of curiosity, how many college scouts have you dealt with, spoken to, & been told the expectations of college athletes by ? How many top level college coaches have you sat down with and talked to?
Quite a few actually. I was being scouted for soccer but had to quit. I have several friends who are scouters. They expect a certain GPA and SAT and ACT score before being accepted. Ince they are in college the student is expect a certain GPA, but here is the kicker. Very few college students are spending as much time in a class room as a high schooler. Many professors dont give "busy work" and give out an itinerary on what the class will be like. Time management is different in college. It is far more flexible. I said in another comment I went to college full time while working full time and had more down time then some kids in high school with activities. Holy run on sentence.
High school is still the "training ground" for college. It's about learning time management. OP is doing nothing to help foster that time management education. Even if his college courses are fewer & less time in class, none of that changes what is being expected of him in high school. If her son doesn't do the work, doesn't get the education, how is he going to do on the SAT & ACT?

he shouldn't receive special treatment from teachers because he's an athlete. No one should.
I never said he should. I did say I wish teachers gave homework packets at the beginning of the week that was due the next week.
Anonymous 17

Unread post

I do happen to agree with you that it might help a lot of students if high school teachers did like college professors do...Give the student a syllabus at the beginning of the class (school year). That way, if the student wishes, he can even work ahead. Many high schools do operate this way.

But I believe the same thing that a lot of parents believe...that SCHOOL is the priority. And if extra curricular activities are causing the student to not be able to do their school work, it's time to cut back on the extra curricular activities.
Conweis wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:14 pm
Anonymous 14 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:04 pm
Conweis wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:47 pm
Quite a few actually. I was being scouted for soccer but had to quit. I have several friends who are scouters. They expect a certain GPA and SAT and ACT score before being accepted. Ince they are in college the student is expect a certain GPA, but here is the kicker. Very few college students are spending as much time in a class room as a high schooler. Many professors dont give "busy work" and give out an itinerary on what the class will be like. Time management is different in college. It is far more flexible. I said in another comment I went to college full time while working full time and had more down time then some kids in high school with activities. Holy run on sentence.
High school is still the "training ground" for college. It's about learning time management. OP is doing nothing to help foster that time management education. Even if his college courses are fewer & less time in class, none of that changes what is being expected of him in high school. If her son doesn't do the work, doesn't get the education, how is he going to do on the SAT & ACT?

he shouldn't receive special treatment from teachers because he's an athlete. No one should.
I never said he should. I did say I wish teachers gave homework packets at the beginning of the week that was due the next week.
Anonymous 17

Unread post

I wanted to tell you...Did you see that all 7 SEASONS of "Golden Girls" are now on Hulu? If you start now, you might be able to get through all of them by Friday! :lol:
famousglm714 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:13 pm
Anonymous 17 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:13 pm Honest to God! That's exactly what came to mind for me, too! LMAO

LMAO, love it! 😂
Deleted User 1344

Unread post

Oh fun!!!
👍🏻
Anonymous 17 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:39 pm I wanted to tell you...Did you see that all 7 SEASONS of "Golden Girls" are now on Hulu? If you start now, you might be able to get through all of them by Friday! :lol:
famousglm714 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:13 pm

LMAO, love it! 😂
Locked Previous topicNext topic