2 questions not related to each other. Dh and I can’t agree. I don’t want to make 2 posts.

Anonymous 5

Unread post

Oh, boy! I was looking for the news article about the girl who had been kidnapped from her own tent (that was right alongside her parents). But instead of that article, I found this one (about a girl who was kidnapped from her PARENTS' tent!

The Night I Forgave My Daughter’s Killer:
https://www.yesmagazine.org/issues/bey ... s-killer

That's some scary stuff!
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:15 pm
Anonymous 6 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:17 pm
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:56 pm On question 1, I'm trying to figure out why on earth it wouldn't be ok for the two girls to share a tent together. We've done a lot of tent camping over the years and our boys shared their own tent from a young age. It's not like they are on the other side of the campground. They are still on the same site as us, their tent literally feet from our tent. Why would you make them be in a tent with you guys? I'm genuinely curious.

On question 2, what is the purpose of the regents? Is it just simply to make sure they pass? Or are scores used in determining next years classes (like whether to put him in honors classes or not)? If it's just simply to pass and that's it, then I see no reason to retake the exam. If there's more to it like class placement then it might be more important to retake it, even if he has to miss part of the camping trip.
Personally, my biggest concern would be child predators that might be camping nearby. I’m probably being overly paranoid, but I have 2 girls and feel they would be very vulnerable in a tent by themselves.
Yes, you are being overly paranoid because it's tents. You can hear everything. If someone tried to get into the kids' tent you would hear it. If you are so heavy a sleeper that you wouldn't hear them getting into the kids' tent, then you won't hear them getting into your tent either and therefore the girls are at as much risk in your tent as in their own tent right next to yours.
Having them in your own tent is nothing more than a false sense of security.
Anonymous 8

Unread post

I consider staying at a Hilton camping, so I’m no help there.

I would absolutely have my 15 year old retake the test, but we are very focused on academics in our home. If you’re not, then I guess he can skip it?? This is what colleges will see when he applies. It should definitely be the best he can do.
ReadingRainbow
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

1) no to their own tent

2) it should be the student who decides whether or not to retake the test
Anonymous 5

Unread post

This. On both accounts.
ReadingRainbow wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:26 pm 1) no to their own tent

2) it should be the student who decides whether or not to retake the test
Anonymous 6

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:15 pm
Anonymous 6 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:17 pm
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:56 pm On question 1, I'm trying to figure out why on earth it wouldn't be ok for the two girls to share a tent together. We've done a lot of tent camping over the years and our boys shared their own tent from a young age. It's not like they are on the other side of the campground. They are still on the same site as us, their tent literally feet from our tent. Why would you make them be in a tent with you guys? I'm genuinely curious.

On question 2, what is the purpose of the regents? Is it just simply to make sure they pass? Or are scores used in determining next years classes (like whether to put him in honors classes or not)? If it's just simply to pass and that's it, then I see no reason to retake the exam. If there's more to it like class placement then it might be more important to retake it, even if he has to miss part of the camping trip.
Personally, my biggest concern would be child predators that might be camping nearby. I’m probably being overly paranoid, but I have 2 girls and feel they would be very vulnerable in a tent by themselves.
Yes, you are being overly paranoid because it's tents. You can hear everything. If someone tried to get into the kids' tent you would hear it. If you are so heavy a sleeper that you wouldn't hear them getting into the kids' tent, then you won't hear them getting into your tent either and therefore the girls are at as much risk in your tent as in their own tent right next to yours.
Having them in your own tent is nothing more than a false sense of security.
I disagree. In my experience, I usually notice if someone in my tent wakes up and is moving around in the middle of the night. Odds are good that I would notice if someone came into our tent. Outside the tent, I'd be much more likely to tune that noise out, especially if it wasn't very loud. Plus it would take me longer to get up and make sure everything was ok if I did hear something. I also think that a stranger would be less likely to enter a tent in the first place if there were adults in there.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

What exactly is the regent test and what exactly does it do for him as far as getting into college? He should be focusing on the SAT or ACT, shouldn't he?
Anonymous 9

Unread post

When I took regents we could retake any regents we wanted to in January which any one could pass or fail. I don't know if still the same since my daughter isn't there yet but if that's not an option I would ask him. As for the tent a separate tent right next to you would be fine or if you don't have any tents you could get a double tent with a partition.
Sassy762
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Same tent with you and he can take the Regents next year in January. The test is offered 3 times a year...June, August and January
Rosehawk
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

No to the separate tent. No to the retake, especially if the teen doesn't want to do it.
I used to be a people person
Then people ruined it
Turkle
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Let the kids have their own tent near yours.
"Prison inmates are treated to cable TV, hot meals and a college education, while on the outside some people can only afford these things through a life of crime."
Locked Previous topicNext topic