New SAT Exams to Include ‘Adversity Score’ for ‘Social Background’ of Every Student

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Deleted User 1074

Unread post

msb64 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:31 pm
Olioxenfree wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 6:40 pm
morgan wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 5:53 pm I'm sure all you moms with minority children are happy that you have sympathetics to help your kids overcome their "shortcomings" or "disadvantages" so they can succeed.
Could you be more racist? There are more poor white people in this country than minority people.
This could potentially help graduates in our county where we have a home - rural Appalachia, low performing schools, large degree of drug use, single family homes where a parent is incarcerated, high unemployment, 96% white. The county still pumps out some really amazing graduates. IMO it is nice to see a matrix for tracking their success despite adversity.
Put aside your PC nonsense and be honest, do you want a heart surgeon who scored LOWER than their peers working on your heart or would you prefer the one with a higher score?
Deleted User 276

Unread post

water<wine wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:37 pm

Could you be more racist? There are more poor white people in this country than minority people.
This could potentially help graduates in our county where we have a home - rural Appalachia, low performing schools, large degree of drug use, single family homes where a parent is incarcerated, high unemployment, 96% white. The county still pumps out some really amazing graduates. IMO it is nice to see a matrix for tracking their success despite adversity.
Put aside your PC nonsense and be honest, do you want a heart surgeon who scored LOWER than their peers working on your heart or would you prefer the one with a higher score?
I wouldn't care what their adversity score was.
Deleted User 1074

Unread post

ReadingRainbow wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:33 pm
water<wine wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 6:22 pm
Thanks for clarifying.

yep totally F***ing unfair. So lemme get this straight, in the workforce being bi-lingual is an ADVANTAGE but as a college applicant it is an "adversity" factor? give me a break. this isn't about "adversity", its about superficial "diversity".
Being bi-lingual or tri-lingual has always been an advantage. Better yet, when you’re fluent in two languages and conversationally speak two more, you’re SUPER advantaged, especially when you’re going for a Masters in Anthro.
uh huh- yeah thats my point. but according to the list of "adversity factors", its a disadvantage.
Deleted User 1074

Unread post

msb64 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:39 pm

I am talking about their REAL ACTUAL non adjusted for "adversity" SAT scores.

if you found out they werent really qualified for med school but passed because they were raised in a tough neighborhood, youd be fine with that?
Deleted User 276

Unread post

water<wine wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:39 pm
ReadingRainbow wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:33 pm
water<wine wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 6:22 pm

Thanks for clarifying.

yep totally F***ing unfair. So lemme get this straight, in the workforce being bi-lingual is an ADVANTAGE but as a college applicant it is an "adversity" factor? give me a break. this isn't about "adversity", its about superficial "diversity".
Being bi-lingual or tri-lingual has always been an advantage. Better yet, when you’re fluent in two languages and conversationally speak two more, you’re SUPER advantaged, especially when you’re going for a Masters in Anthro.
uh huh- yeah thats my point. but according to the list of "adversity factors", its a disadvantage.
IMO, an ESL students scoring the same as an English as a first language student should have an advantage.
Deleted User 276

Unread post

water<wine wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:40 pm

if you found out they werent really qualified for med school but passed because they were raised in a tough neighborhood, youd be fine with that?
Adversity Scores are not added to SAT scores. I always look at my doctor's med school diploma. I've never been concerned about his/her SAT scores. Also, MCATs qualify you for med school, not SATs.
Deleted User 1074

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:35 pm
water<wine wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 6:03 pm
ReadingRainbow wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 5:32 pm Eh... I don’t really care.

Being from an affluent family meant I could study as much as I wanted, utilize every technological advancement that helped me learn, and have as much private tutoring as I wanted...

So I got pretty high scores when it came to testing.
uh huh, sure until YOU'RE the one being rejected with a higher score and more accomplishments and someone else less qualified is taking your place.
Or rejected because some rich person paid $500,000 to bribe the tennis coach to claim their kid is a prodigy. Or rejected because Kushner gave the school $2 million dollars to buy a building. It will never just be about high scores.
and that is WRONG and illegal, hence the public outrage and the parents being CHARGED FOR A CRIME. I am not advocating for that. obviously those people need to do the time for their crime and new policies need to be put in place to avoid fraud like that in the future. however, This is not any different! The academic standards should be the same for everyone.
Deleted User 1074

Unread post

msb64 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:43 pm
water<wine wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:40 pm

Adversity Scores are not added to SAT scores. I always look at my doctor's med school diploma. I've never been concerned about his/her SAT scores. Also, MCATs qualify you for med school, not SATs.
I read their SAT scores are adjusted based on their "Adversity score", so they get an actual lower score and I know SAT scores dont get you into med school, but the same principle applies. and where do med students start off?
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

morgan wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 5:53 pm I'm sure all you moms with minority children are happy that you have sympathetics to help your kids overcome their "shortcomings" or "disadvantages" so they can succeed.
It's not race it's economics. There are plenty of white kids who are dirt poor with opioid addicted parents who are neglected, have no outside activities and no money for SAT classes. They need help leveling the playing field too.
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

A heart surgeon would have had to take the MCAT and have great undergrad scores to get into med school, followed by great medical school grades and interviews to get a surgery or cardiology residency. I can imagine being concerned with my heart surgeon’s success rate, bedside manner, specialities and general professional reputation. Being honest, his high school SAT scores and undergraduate admissions methodologies would be the least of my worries.
Locked Previous topicNext topic