New SAT Exams to Include ‘Adversity Score’ for ‘Social Background’ of Every Student

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
HanSolo
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

morgan
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

"Adversity Score" AKA even more Affirmative Action.
KAG
Mean Girl
Deleted User 969

Unread post

Well, that’s F***ing bologna.
ReadingRainbow
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Eh... I don’t really care.

Being from an affluent family meant I could study as much as I wanted, utilize every technological advancement that helped me learn, and have as much private tutoring as I wanted...

So I got pretty high scores when it came to testing.
morgan
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

:mrgreen:
KAG
Mean Girl
Deleted User 276

Unread post

I don't have a problem with it. It doesn't change the test takers score rather it is a separate 1-100 (average 50) adversity score sent to colleges. Colleges can choose whether or not to take the adversity score into consideration.
morgan
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I'm sure all you moms with minority children are happy that you have sympathetics to help your kids overcome their "shortcomings" or "disadvantages" so they can succeed.
KAG
Mean Girl
Deleted User 1074

Unread post

it says there are 15 factors they will use but only list 2 as examples, poverty and crime in rate in their communities. So theoretically you could be a poor homeless person in a rich community or a rich person in a mostly poor community and the rich person will get in above the poor person.

But I wonder what the other 13 factors are? RACE? S*x? SEXUALITY?

All I know is, I dont think its smart to not choose the best candidates to be our doctors and scientists.
Deleted User 1074

Unread post

ReadingRainbow wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 5:32 pm Eh... I don’t really care.

Being from an affluent family meant I could study as much as I wanted, utilize every technological advancement that helped me learn, and have as much private tutoring as I wanted...

So I got pretty high scores when it came to testing.
uh huh, sure until YOU'RE the one being rejected with a higher score and more accomplishments and someone else less qualified is taking your place.
Deleted User 276

Unread post

water<wine wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 6:00 pm it says there are 15 factors they will use but only list 2 as examples, poverty and crime in rate in their communities. So theoretically you could be a poor homeless person in a rich community or a rich person in a mostly poor community and the rich person will get in above the poor person.

But I wonder what the other 13 factors are? RACE? S*x? SEXUALITY?

All I know is, I dont think its smart to not choose the best candidates to be our doctors and scientists.
This new "adversity score" number is calculated by assessing 15 factors that can better help admissions officers determine an individual student's social and economic background, the Journal reported. These factors are first divided into three categories: neighborhood environment, family environment and high school environment.

Each of the three categories has five sub-indicators that are indexed in calculating each student's adversity score. Neighborhood environment will take into account crime rate, poverty rate, housing values and vacancy rate. Family environment will assess what the median income is of where the student's family is from; whether the student is from a single parent household; the educational level of the parents; and whether English is a second language. High school environment will look at factors such as curriculum rigor, free-lunch rate and AP class opportunities. Together these factors will calculate an individual's adversity score on a scale of one to 100.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sat-advers ... ing-field/
Locked Previous topicNext topic