Would this still be considered homeschooling?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

I am not being mean or trying to bad mouth just curious. This person I know sends one of her kids to public school ONLY for art, music , PE and lunch everything else she pulls her kids out of and homeschools. Same person with her oldest send that kid to school for chemistry, algebra, PE and lunch and pulls him out for everything else and homeschools.

I have never heard of this before. She homeschools but also uses public school but only for certain classes. So is this homeschooling or public school?
QuantumNursing
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Its a hybrid. Its pretty common
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

No it's not homeschooling it's a partnership program with the school. I think they call it "field (Family Involvement in Education Learning and Development) schooling"
A lot of areas don't have this sort of thing available to them. Our area is actually looking to incorporate one next year. It's essentially a hybrid program between homeschooling and public school.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

It is called dual enrollment here, also if you are homeschool through the school district, you have access to any and all programs offered. If you are enrolled through the district you still receive funds for materials, labs, and to pay for classes.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

It is a homeschooling hybrid program. They do not do it with public schools here, but there are a few private schools that allow it.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Deleted User 172

Unread post

I learned something new today.
I've never heard of this before.
I like the idea though.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I guess it would depend on your definition of homeschooling. I did K-12 Online for a year and a half with my oldest. 100% of what he did was at home, whether it was curriculum on the computer, in the books, or video conferencing with a teacher. So I called it homeschooling because he was doing all of his schooling at home. But I was told (on CM) by some die-hard homeschoolers that K-12 Online isn't real homeschooling.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

That's a hybrid. We homeschool through a charter and as far as I'm concerned I didn't homeschool my oldest in writing this year. He took an online class instead.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Sounds like a great idea - the kids get some specialized instruction and some social time, but the parent guides the education. It is fairly common here, along with parents of home-school kids exchanging teaching time in their fields, or having some joint classes in dance, arts and advanced maths.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 4:00 pm I guess it would depend on your definition of homeschooling. I did K-12 Online for a year and a half with my oldest. 100% of what he did was at home, whether it was curriculum on the computer, in the books, or video conferencing with a teacher. So I called it homeschooling because he was doing all of his schooling at home. But I was told (on CM) by some die-hard homeschoolers that K-12 Online isn't real homeschooling.
That would be considered independent study.
Locked Previous topicNext topic