Will Smith catches backlash for colorism after being cast as Venus and Serena Williams' father

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Billie.jeens
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:06 am
Billie.jeens wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:01 pm
Quorra2.0 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:49 pm

I can’t disagree.
Who are the overlords?
I think I saw that Valentina replied to this as well but I’d say our government, other governments, big tech companies (half joking on that one)
Yeah, I was fishing for "who" in the Government -

We are at a point where generically -The Deep State - is probably good.
You are probably more right than you know.
We have pretty much turned the country over to Goggle, Microsoft, Fakebook and Apple.
“Modern journalism is all about deciding which facts the public shouldn’t know because they might reflect badly on Democrats."
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:09 am
SouthernIslander wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:39 pm
Quorra2.0 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:55 pm

I don’t think we will get past it soon. Not because I’ve lost hope but because it’s going to take more time. When the majority of society chooses to stay on the merry go round the few who are not on that merry go round are only a blur.
Soon... I mean next 1-2 generations. :-)
I hope so but I think there is going to need to be some all around major mindset changes for that to happen.
As far as the Black community and colorism, it’s better than it was when I was a kid. It was rough when I was in school.

It’ll be a long time before it completely goes away but it’s getting better.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:04 am
Quorra2.0 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:09 am
SouthernIslander wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:39 pm

Soon... I mean next 1-2 generations. :-)
I hope so but I think there is going to need to be some all around major mindset changes for that to happen.
As far as the Black community and colorism, it’s better than it was when I was a kid. It was rough when I was in school.

It’ll be a long time before it completely goes away but it’s getting better.
That is good that it’s getting better.
thunderkiss65
Regent
Regent

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:34 am Black people with a lighter complexion had an “easier” life from slavery to Jim Crow in the 60s and it pitted us against each other. We are only 1-1 1/2 generations away from that so this is fall out.

Not that I agree. I am biracial but considered “light skin” and I have been judged for it/harassed about it so I get it. But that’s why that is.

I hope we get past this soon.
I believe this issue as well as other racial issues will get better soon. I am mixed, my kids are mixed. I can write a book based on the names of people who I personally know as mixed. I really think that mixed raced people would soon be the majority and no longer frowned upon. JMO on the topic. It will get better.
KnotaDinghy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Billie.jeens wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:54 am
KnotaDinghy wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:40 pm Well, he could always offer to do the movie wearing blackface to appease those offended.
:idea:

:lol:
I might have triggered some folks with this thought.
“You’re either on drugs or retarded.
Nobody posts the crap you post unless they’re abnormal.” - derp
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

thunderkiss65 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:21 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:34 am Black people with a lighter complexion had an “easier” life from slavery to Jim Crow in the 60s and it pitted us against each other. We are only 1-1 1/2 generations away from that so this is fall out.

Not that I agree. I am biracial but considered “light skin” and I have been judged for it/harassed about it so I get it. But that’s why that is.

I hope we get past this soon.
I believe this issue as well as other racial issues will get better soon. I am mixed, my kids are mixed. I can write a book based on the names of people who I personally know as mixed. I really think that mixed raced people would soon be the majority and no longer frowned upon. JMO on the topic. It will get better.
I am biracial also! Yes, that is another topic in itself. Lol! But that has gotten better also, so I completely agree with you.
Locked Previous topicNext topic