What are the chances

Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

SolidlyAverage wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:31 pm
Fullxbusymom wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:10 pm
SolidlyAverage wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:11 pm

Buying a car (guessing a van or 3-row SUV, both expensive) for under $3k is an extremely stupid move. It will be a piece of crap. And when that junker breaks down two days later and they don’t have any cash for repairs or credit cards for emergencies, he’ll be out of a job, too.
A 3 row mini van is pretty inexpensive and $3,000 will buy a decent one. No, $3,000 won't necessarily buy a piece of crap. Or even if he got a small loan for $3,000 so now he is in a $6,000 vehicle that could be paid off within the year and a much lower payment every month, lower insurance, lower registration. Lower everything across the board.
Vans aren’t really that cheap and the reliable makes hold their value pretty well. Any vehicle that’s only $3k is going to have very high mileage, so it has a long, unknown history, tons of wear on the engine, and no warranty.

“Reliable” is subjective, of course, but I would never find a $3k vehicle reliable, personally. No one would be surprised if a car that only cost a few thousand dollars broke down within a year. And the lack of warranty would be a big concern if you have absolutely nothing available for emergencies.
Hence the $6,000 and pay off the $3,000 additional within a year and start working off paying off the debt.
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:03 pm
SolidlyAverage wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:31 pm
Fullxbusymom wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:10 pm

A 3 row mini van is pretty inexpensive and $3,000 will buy a decent one. No, $3,000 won't necessarily buy a piece of crap. Or even if he got a small loan for $3,000 so now he is in a $6,000 vehicle that could be paid off within the year and a much lower payment every month, lower insurance, lower registration. Lower everything across the board.
Vans aren’t really that cheap and the reliable makes hold their value pretty well. Any vehicle that’s only $3k is going to have very high mileage, so it has a long, unknown history, tons of wear on the engine, and no warranty.

“Reliable” is subjective, of course, but I would never find a $3k vehicle reliable, personally. No one would be surprised if a car that only cost a few thousand dollars broke down within a year. And the lack of warranty would be a big concern if you have absolutely nothing available for emergencies.
My van cost 40,000. Lol it was brand new but yeah Vans are not cheap.
I have owned vans for 10yrs before I bought my Traverse. No way would I pay $40K for a car ever in my life. If he went for a 2011 or 2012 he could easily get one he could afford and work to pay off his debt.
Locked Previous topicNext topic