How lies become truth in politics and everyday life

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
libbylu
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Aletheia wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:30 am
If repetition was the only thing that influenced what we believed we'd be in trouble, but it isn't. We can all bring to bear more extensive powers of reasoning, but we need to recognise they are a limited resource. Our minds are prey to the illusion of truth effect because our instinct is to use short-cuts in judging how plausible something is. Often this works. Sometimes it is misleading.

Once we know about the effect we can guard against it. Part of this is double-checking why we believe what we do – if something sounds plausible is it because it really is true, or have we just been told that repeatedly? This is why scholars are so mad about providing references - so we can track the origin on any claim, rather than having to take it on faith.

But part of guarding against the illusion is the obligation it puts on us to stop repeating falsehoods. We live in a world where the facts matter, and should matter. If you repeat things without bothering to check if they are true, you are helping to make a world where lies and truth are easier to confuse. So, please, think before you repeat.
Very good!
Thank you.
libbylu
Regent
Regent

Unread post

One big lie that is being told by certain people because they have heard it spoken by the president every day is this:
“The Media doesn’t tell the truth.”
“ Fake News”.
The Media reports what has been said but if it doesn’t make Trump happy, he calls the Media liars , Fake News.
How ironic.
This is a result Trump’s own words being published and his followers rejecting them in order to support him ( and their choice) .
Believing a liar without questioning him is too easy and very irrational.
HanSolo
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

sockpuppet wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:45 am
HanSolo wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:36 am
sockpuppet wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:08 am

Trump lies multiple times every single day. In the line up to the mid terms, trumps daily lie count increased from something like 2-3 x per day up to something like 5-7 x a day

He just said about his acting AG he both does not know him AND knows him very well
Lol, I have ex boyfriends that I can say that about. God, it's like you people don't think he is a human being. Stop swallowing all the crap the main stream left wing media are feeding you.
Why blame God for your poor choice of men.
I get that truth and facts are tenuous for people like you
Sad you hate America so much
Nothing you said made any sense, at all.
sockpuppet
Viscountess
Viscountess

Unread post

HanSolo wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:58 pm
HanSolo wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:36 am

Lol, I have ex boyfriends that I can say that about. God, it's like you people don't think he is a human being. Stop swallowing all the crap the main stream left wing media are feeding you.
It makes perfect sense
You just can’t understand it
Sad
HanSolo
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

sockpuppet wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:49 am
HanSolo wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:58 pm

It makes perfect sense
You just can’t understand it
Sad
:lol:
Locked Previous topicNext topic