My Mom. I love her but she just can’t just say congratulations and be happy

Bubbs
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

PreciousDolphin894 wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:01 pm First of all Congratulations to your brother on his engagement. I hope him and his fiance have a wonderful life together. That is a long time to wait until the age of 49, but it's good he didn't rush into Marriage itself and waited until he was ready to make that step in life.

As for your Mom, yea it's a bummer and a shame she couldn't even say Congratulations to her own son when he got engaged. Is it that she don't want to see her own son get Married? Is it that she doesn't want to share her son as some Mother In Laws can be like that when their son Marries? Or is she just maybe depressed because often if someone is depressed it's hard to find happiness and share that with another person?

Her reasons are valid but they could have waited
This will be #3 for both of them
Honey, I'm the original one-eyed chicklet in the kingdom of the blind, 'cause at least I admit the world makes me nuts.
eyes4ears
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I hope she doesn't rain on his parade.
Congratulations to your brother.
PreciousDolphin894

Unread post

Bubbs wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:05 pm
PreciousDolphin894 wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:01 pm First of all Congratulations to your brother on his engagement. I hope him and his fiance have a wonderful life together. That is a long time to wait until the age of 49, but it's good he didn't rush into Marriage itself and waited until he was ready to make that step in life.

As for your Mom, yea it's a bummer and a shame she couldn't even say Congratulations to her own son when he got engaged. Is it that she don't want to see her own son get Married? Is it that she doesn't want to share her son as some Mother In Laws can be like that when their son Marries? Or is she just maybe depressed because often if someone is depressed it's hard to find happiness and share that with another person?

Oh, okay gotcha and oops, I thought this was maybe your brothers first Marriage but now I can see why your Mother isn't overly thrilled with this being it's #3 for all of them.
Bubbs
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

eyes4ears wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:10 pm I hope she doesn't rain on his parade.
Congratulations to your brother.
Well of course she will
Already upset that they want to go to Niagra Falls and not do a thing
Honey, I'm the original one-eyed chicklet in the kingdom of the blind, 'cause at least I admit the world makes me nuts.
Bubbs
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

PreciousDolphin894 wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:13 pm
Bubbs wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:05 pm

Oh, okay gotcha and oops, I thought this was maybe your brothers first Marriage but now I can see why your Mother isn't overly thrilled with this being it's #3 for all of them.
But he wasn’t asking her approval, he was just giving her the news. She doesn’t need to be thrilled. All she needed to do was say congratulations and smile. He’s going to do whatever he wants
...MyLove...

Unread post

She doesn't have to congratulate your brother when he is doing something she doesn't approve of or pretend to be happy when she's not. It's strange to think she should.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

My mother is a lot like that too.
RedBottoms

Unread post

You need to whip your mother into shape or she will find herself cut off from her son and DIL and future grandkids. I would be all over my mother telling her she better not ever give her DIL a hard time and if she does, you are siding with them over her which means your mom can spend holidays sad and alone and you will spend it with them.

She is digging her own grave here. Let her know you will not tolerate it. Because if you side with her or look the other way and tolerate it-the DIL and brother are likely to cut you off too. You have to take a hard stance on this.
Bubbs
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

...MyLove... wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:28 pm She doesn't have to congratulate your brother when he is doing something she doesn't approve of or pretend to be happy when she's not. It's strange to think she should.
But her approval is never required
Why be a jerk?
He’s almost a 50 year old man, if he’s making a mistake it’s his mistake. Not hers
RedBottoms

Unread post

...MyLove... wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:28 pm She doesn't have to congratulate your brother when he is doing something she doesn't approve of or pretend to be happy when she's not. It's strange to think she should.
well and they don't have to ever speak to her again either. See how that works.
If someone tells you they are getting married, even if you don't approve-you grin and say Congratulations and keep your mouth shut. Period. Otherwise, you better just kiss that relationship goodbye
Locked Previous topicNext topic