Free breakfast and lunch for all

Mom Talk is a group for moms to come for advice and should be looked at as a more supportive community than Mom Confessions. Those who aren’t here for drama but want to connect with other moms or have questions about parenting can hang out here.
madfoodie
Sparkles the Elf
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Why you say?
No more hungry children, studies show that children can also concentrate better.
School employees are no longer debt collectors and can put their time and energy into more productive things.
It eliminates class divide.
Children receive at least part of their daily nutrients.
i want candy!
caustib
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I'm not opposed to it, but public funds are limited and it's not worthwhile in every district. Definitely in districts that have higher rates of economic disadvantage. But our district is around 8%. So why waste the money paying for the 92% that can pay when that money could be used for something that someone truly needs?
madfoodie
Sparkles the Elf
Regent
Regent

Unread post

caustib wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:47 am I'm not opposed to it, but public funds are limited and it's not worthwhile in every district. Definitely in districts that have higher rates of economic disadvantage. But our district is around 8%. So why waste the money paying for the 92% that can pay when that money could be used for something that someone truly needs?
You're district has fairly low poverty rate. Are you in a well off district? I was going to propose doing a min carnival to raise the funds. The amount of students who receive free breakfast and lunch here is 60%. Our poverty rate hovers right around 50%.
i want candy!
caustib
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

madfoodie wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:52 am
caustib wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:47 am I'm not opposed to it, but public funds are limited and it's not worthwhile in every district. Definitely in districts that have higher rates of economic disadvantage. But our district is around 8%. So why waste the money paying for the 92% that can pay when that money could be used for something that someone truly needs?
You're district has fairly low poverty rate. Are you in a well off district? I was going to propose doing a min carnival to raise the funds. The amount of students who receive free breakfast and lunch here is 60%. Our poverty rate hovers right around 50%.
Yes, we are. Our PTO is able to clear up lunch debts if needed, too. I guess I read your post to mean the school lunch program would just be fully funded and no child anywhere would pay.
madfoodie
Sparkles the Elf
Regent
Regent

Unread post

caustib wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:01 am
madfoodie wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:52 am
Yes, we are. Our PTO is able to clear up lunch debts if needed, too. I guess I read your post to mean the school lunch program would just be fully funded and no child anywhere would pay.
I know not every district needs it but I feel a large majority do.
i want candy!
Locked Previous topicNext topic