Poll: This Affects* Everyone and The Site so Please Vote!

How to Fix The Site

Purge posts made in the very beginning
14%
Cut styles down to 2 and get rid of some extensions
13%
Keep everything and deal with speed issues and random errors that may pop up
5%
Purge old posts and cut down on styles
67%

Total votes: 129
12skipafew
Khaleesi
Regent
Regent

Unread post

MC has been having speed issues and a number of problems for the past year. The reason for this is because our database is ginormous, way larger than the average website. That’s because we are a message board with images, hundreds of thousands of posts, thousands of users, and extensions that all use up space stored in the database. I’ve been doing what I can to keep things going as well as possible but as we reach the 2 year mark it’s getting difficult.

At this point getting a dedicated server is out of my price range plus the time spent to manage a server is a lot.

My current options are to start purging posts, attachments, and users that were around since the beginning but haven’t been seen since.

Or cutting down the number of styles and extensions that we use. I have done that with some extensions that are either incompatible or way too large and it helps but I know how much everyone hates that.

Or we can leave things as they are now and I can continue to make small tweaks and fixes to the database until I can figure out a way to get a managed server that won’t cost as much as my mortgage per month.

I’m going to leave this up to you guys since we’re all in this together. Let me know what you think.
🤓The Admin 🤓
Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

If I were deciding, I would probably only keep posts for 2 months then delete them.
“ I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night “ - Sarah Williams
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Is there an option to auto delete posts after X time? Will that help along with deleting old posts?
12skipafew
Khaleesi
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Yes, I can set it up to auto purge posts. I was thinking anything that was made over a year but I know some people don’t like to lose their posts or like to reminisce with some drama lol. I did this once before and it didn’t go over well for the group I did it in.
carterscutie85 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:44 am Is there an option to auto delete posts after X time? Will that help along with deleting old posts?
🤓The Admin 🤓
Anonymous 1

Unread post

What are attachments?

I have been threatening to throw my laptop out the window for a couple of months, lol.
12skipafew
Khaleesi
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Images that are uploaded using the attachment button on when you create a post.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:48 am What are attachments?

I have been threatening to throw my laptop out the window for a couple of months, lol.
🤓The Admin 🤓
12skipafew
Khaleesi
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I added a new option and all the votes disappeared 🤦‍♀️ If you already voted please vote again.
🤓The Admin 🤓
Conweis
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Too bad you cant find our who has multiple accounts and purge those.
Purge members who havent been active in six month and posts from one year past.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

12skipafew wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:49 am Images that are uploaded using the attachment button on when you create a post.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:48 am What are attachments?

Like memes?
MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Conweis wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:49 am Too bad you cant find our who has multiple accounts and purge those.
Purge members who havent been active in six month and posts from one year past.
I like the idea about purging people with multiple SN's.

ETA: Please keep the Absolution style.
The oranges of the island are like blazing fire
Amongst the emerald boughs
And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover
Who has spent the night crying.

My soul was ripped to shreds on 10/27/14
Locked Previous topicNext topic