WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

DSamuels wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:16 pm
Lemons wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:34 pm
DSamuels wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:15 pm 79D1024A-BF95-4AF5-B46F-2868C4E4432F.jpeg
How are these even related? It's like something a child would ask.

Have you ever wondered why Tuberculosis is spread through the air when the infected person coughs, sneezes or even speaks, but we need to test through blood? No.
Well, well, well

Rapid sputum tests are also called nucleic acid amplification tests (NAATs). One of the best ways to diagnose TB is through a sputum culture. A sputum culture is a test to find germs (such as TB bacteria) that can cause an infection. A sample of sputum is added to a substance that promotes the growth of bacteria.Feb 11, 2020
UW Health › special › abk7483
Rapid Sputum Tests for Tuberculosis (TB) | UW Health | Madison, WI

https://www.uwhealth.org/health/topic/s ... k7483.html

You do know what “sputum” is, right?
That's a little misleading. The test to see if you have latent (asymptomatic) TB is a blood test or skin test. TB is not transmittable if asymptomatic - only if symptomatic (you have TB disease) and only about 5-10% of those who have latent TB will get TB disease. If you have TB disease, then you can be diagnosed with a sputum culture or chest x-ray.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
MommyTutu
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Testing is still evolving as we learn more. This is an interesting read:
https://academic.oup.com/cid/article/do ... 49/5734265
MommyTutu
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Sputum is quite different from saliva, actually.
DSamuels wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:15 pm 79D1024A-BF95-4AF5-B46F-2868C4E4432F.jpeg

Have you ever wondered why Tuberculosis is spread through the air when the infected person coughs, sneezes or even speaks, but we need to test through blood? No.
Well, well, well

Rapid sputum tests are also called nucleic acid amplification tests (NAATs). One of the best ways to diagnose TB is through a sputum culture. A sputum culture is a test to find germs (such as TB bacteria) that can cause an infection. A sample of sputum is added to a substance that promotes the growth of bacteria.Feb 11, 2020

Deleted User 203

Unread post

Not sure of this helps, DSamuels, but I found this for you:

https://www.healthnavigator.org.nz/heal ... swab-test/
KnotaDinghy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Please tell me you understand the difference between testing the blood for antibodies (serology) and testing the mucous lining / saliva for active virus (molecular).

HINT: They cannot test through the blood to detect a current active infection that would be contagious.

Lemons wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:09 pm

Well, well, well

Point is they can test through blood. Just because a disease is transmitted through the air via air droplets doesn’t mean the best way to test is through droplets.

I’m sure they’ll have a simpler test in time. And a more accurate one. Still a childish question.
“You’re either on drugs or retarded.
Nobody posts the crap you post unless they’re abnormal.” - derp
xsxpxixdxexrxsx
Regent
Regent

Unread post

MommyTutu wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:17 pm Testing is still evolving as we learn more. This is an interesting read:
https://academic.oup.com/cid/article/do ... 49/5734265
Quoting this so I can come back to read it..
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

They do NOT insert a swab through your nose "to the back of your head." And COVID is now considered to be more contagious than influenza.
Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

EarlGrayHot wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:30 am They do NOT insert a swab through your nose "to the back of your head." And COVID is now considered to be more contagious than influenza.
I had a test about a month ago, it’s 10 seconds in each nostril and you feel like you’re going to sneeze during that time.

It’s hardly the torture method people think it is.
“ I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night “ - Sarah Williams
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Going way back there. I don’t know much at all about testing. I do know there are some contagious illnesses that are tested through the blood. HIV is one. Hep C. These aren’t spread though the air, but that wasn’t the point.
KnotaDinghy wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:32 pm Please tell me you understand the difference between testing the blood for antibodies (serology) and testing the mucous lining / saliva for active virus (molecular).

HINT: They cannot test through the blood to detect a current active infection that would be contagious.

Well, well, well

Point is they can test through blood. Just because a disease is transmitted through the air via air droplets doesn’t mean the best way to test is through droplets.

I’m sure they’ll have a simpler test in time. And a more accurate one. Still a childish question.
KnotaDinghy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Your point is right below. You were talking about the Coronavirus, not generic testing of any virus. You said “the point is they can test the blood”.
No. They. Cannot. It’s not difficult to grasp. Calling out the question as childish when you (admittedly) know nothing about testing, is ridiculous. Trying to answer on a topic you know nothing about is pointless, just scroll by or ask questions to learn.
Lemons wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:32 pm Going way back there. I don’t know much at all about testing. I do know there are some contagious illnesses that are tested through the blood. HIV is one. Hep C. These aren’t spread though the air, but that wasn’t the point.
KnotaDinghy wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:32 pm Please tell me you understand the difference between testing the blood for antibodies (serology) and testing the mucous lining / saliva for active virus (molecular).

“You’re either on drugs or retarded.
Nobody posts the crap you post unless they’re abnormal.” - derp
Locked Previous topicNext topic