I’m not anti-choice

29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Seems to me like you are the one wanting to argue....

Bye now.

Yoloo wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:24 am I never once said it doesnt prevent ovulation. She is the one who quoted me to argue. Her initial comment was incorrect.

All hormonal birth control works in the same three ways.
29again wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:18 am OK, so you know exactly as much as DSam and myself. But we at least understand that the main purpose of hormonal birth control pills is to PREVENT OVULATION in the first place. I don't understand why you are having such a hard time with that simple concept. Maybe you're trying too hard to sound like you know something you really don't know??
Yoloo wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:14 am You don't have to attend school for this to know the basics of how birth control works.

I did back up everything I have said. Do you think the FDA and the manufacturers of the birth control are wrong?

Expand your thinking

It’s possible to disagree with an article and not respond with a personal attack you know.
Try it.
hockeymom87
Regent
Regent

Unread post

DSamuels wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:00 am
29again wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:48 pm
DSamuels wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:50 pm

I guess the BCP that were available when we needed them were quite different from the ones out there today! Used to be that while the main purpose of the pill was to prevent ovulation, there was a chance that the amount of the hormone was not right, and an egg MIGHT be released, so there were other hormones to prevent oregnancy in other ways (cervical mucus and thinning the lining). Every body is different, so a one-size-fits-all hormonal birth control pill will not work for every woman. And then, even with all the ways that the pill prevents pregnancy, it IS still possible to become pregnant while taking the pill...
It is possible, but I think in most cases the pregnancy is caused by user error, ie forgetting to take the pill or contraindications like antibiotic use. The combo with estrogen and progestin is meant and designed to stop ovulation. There were different levels so the lowest level may not prevent ovulation and you might need to bump the strength up. The progestin only pills were the ones that worked with the cervical mucus and uterine lining.

I believe that some of the IUDs on the market also have hormones. Those I have not looked at to see if they prevent ovulation. The IUD was originally designed to prevent implantation which is why some people are not comfortable using it.
I have an iud and I haven’t had a period since December 2015(the one before I got pregnant with my last kid). I’m not ovulating.
DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

hockeymom87 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:54 am
29again wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:48 pm

I guess the BCP that were available when we needed them were quite different from the ones out there today! Used to be that while the main purpose of the pill was to prevent ovulation, there was a chance that the amount of the hormone was not right, and an egg MIGHT be released, so there were other hormones to prevent oregnancy in other ways (cervical mucus and thinning the lining). Every body is different, so a one-size-fits-all hormonal birth control pill will not work for every woman. And then, even with all the ways that the pill prevents pregnancy, it IS still possible to become pregnant while taking the pill...
It is possible, but I think in most cases the pregnancy is caused by user error, ie forgetting to take the pill or contraindications like antibiotic use. The combo with estrogen and progestin is meant and designed to stop ovulation. There were different levels so the lowest level may not prevent ovulation and you might need to bump the strength up. The progestin only pills were the ones that worked with the cervical mucus and uterine lining.

I believe that some of the IUDs on the market also have hormones. Those I have not looked at to see if they prevent ovulation. The IUD was originally designed to prevent implantation which is why some people are not comfortable using it.
I have an iud and I haven’t had a period since December 2015(the one before I got pregnant with my last kid). I’m not ovulating.
It depends on the IUD. Hormonal IUDs prevent ovulation, non-hormonal ones do not.
Never explain - your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway. - Elbert Hubbard

Keep up - Calm Down - Pay Attention
hockeymom87
Regent
Regent

Unread post

DSamuels wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:16 pm
hockeymom87 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:54 am

It depends on the IUD. Hormonal IUDs prevent ovulation, non-hormonal ones do not.
Yeah mine’s hormonal.
Locked Previous topicNext topic