Struggling with working vs staying home. FWP

Foreverme123
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

DH recently received a major promotion that's going to require us to move this summer. I'm currently working because I genuinely enjoy working, even though we have no need for my income. Even less so when he takes this new position.

So as my time at my current job starts to wind down and we begin our move, I'm not sure what to do. The kids are older (one grown and three teens) so it's not like I'm juggling daycare and toddlers. I've really always loved the freedom of being at home and I constantly crave it when I have a job. On the other hand, when I'm home enjoying my freedom, I crave work. I've done volunteer work, but it just doesn't feel the same to me, for whatever reason. Neither is filling up my days with lunches with friends and shopping.

I guess I'm just sitting here wondering what I should do. I guess I could stay at home for a while and see if things feel differently once we're in a new city and then go to work if I want later on, but I'm still left wondering why I'm never satisfied with my work OR stay-at-home life.

Does anyone here struggle with this issue?
mrsmacgiver
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I don't like not working. I recently went from teaching to working from home. It's hard in the sense that I feel lazy even when I'm literally working all day. It's weird. I'm considering getting a part time job just because.
CrazyJenn
Donated
Donated
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

With kids that age, I'd have to at least work part-time. I'd get bored at home, lol.
Foreverme123
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

mrsmacgiver wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 11:20 am I don't like not working. I recently went from teaching to working from home. It's hard in the sense that I feel lazy even when I'm literally working all day. It's weird. I'm considering getting a part time job just because.
I get it. That's how I always start to feel when I stay home. Then I get a job and want to come home. 😠
RedBottoms

Unread post

I think maybe part time work would be the best of both worlds for you or a job with flex hours maybe? My friend works in a pharmacy and she can then have some days off so she can lunch with a friend or go to the gym some days for example or attend some school programs so she feels like she does not miss all the daytime stuff that way
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I love staying home. Give it a year and get to enjoy your new home, explore city, take a hobby you always put off. Then make the decision on what you want to do. No harm no foul.
Gorilla_Mama
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Do you work full time now? Try a part time job. Best of both worlds.
Foreverme123
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 11:26 am I think maybe part time work would be the best of both worlds for you or a job with flex hours maybe? My friend works in a pharmacy and she can then have some days off so she can lunch with a friend or go to the gym some days for example or attend some school programs so she feels like she does not miss all the daytime stuff that way
I'm currently working part-time, too.

I honestly feel like the child who cries when they get dropped off at daycare because they don't want to go, but once there, they're fine. If I'm staying home, I look at people going to work and want to jump in the car with them. Ugh
Foreverme123
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

MrsDavidB wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 11:26 am I love staying home. Give it a year and get to enjoy your new home, explore city, take a hobby you always put off. Then make the decision on what you want to do. No harm no foul.
Do you have any particular hobbies that you've kept for any length of time? I'm notorious for taking up new things like that because I just know how much fun I'll have and then drop them very quickly. I think my problem is that nothing keeps my interest very long.
Foreverme123
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Gorilla_Mama wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 11:26 am Do you work full time now? Try a part time job. Best of both worlds.
Yes, currently part-time.
Locked Previous topicNext topic