F***ing Roundabouts!

Anonymous 4

Unread post Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:10 am

mcginnisc wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:49 am
Roundabouts actually make the flow of traffic better...once people that have never used them learn to use them properly anyway. We just started getting them in my area of Atlanta in the past year and when they first built the one about 2 miles from my house, it had stop signs on it. I was so peeved about those stop signs as that is not how roundabouts work. It caused so much confusion for people that had never used them before. I'm used to them because where my mother and inlaws live they have them all over the place. I've been driving in roundabouts down there for almost 20 years now so it's second nature for me. People are finally figuring out how to use them here and it is helping the traffic flow a lot. Give it time. It will take a while, but it will help eventually.
Stop signs on a roundabout? Kind of defeats the purpose. We have one here and we call it "The Frogger" roundabout. Reason is it has a high pedestrian traffic rate, and drivers are to stop for pedestrians, but on this one many drivers will just keep going, nothing like jumping back and fourth to cross a three lane road.
Deleted User 1344

Unread post Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:12 am

mcginnisc wrote:
Roundabouts actually make the flow of traffic better...once people that have never used them learn to use them properly anyway. We just started getting them in my area of Atlanta in the past year and when they first built the one about 2 miles from my house, it had stop signs on it. I was so peeved about those stop signs as that is not how roundabouts work. It caused so much confusion for people that had never used them before. I'm used to them because where my mother and inlaws live they have them all over the place. I've been driving in roundabouts down there for almost 20 years now so it's second nature for me. People are finally figuring out how to use them here and it is helping the traffic flow a lot. Give it time. It will take a while, but it will help eventually.
I agree.
It will take time . New things, change is hard for some to accept.
Dylexsmommy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:07 pm

They're terrible. I agree.
wait for it...
KnotaDinghy
Regent
Regent

Unread post Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:54 pm

I grew up with them so I was familiar but there is this one down here in Maryland that is ridiculous! There is an extremely short off-ramp with a roundabout incorporated and it is the smallest roundabout I've ever seen. People who yield on it back up the highway as there is not a true dedicated turn lane for the off-ramp. Then there are many people who just drive straight across the center instead of flowing around. The turn radius on the corners is very tight because it's so small. Lots of accidents occur. Typically with vehicles with a trailer attached. Semi trucks have the hardest time negotiating. This particular round a bout needs to be plowed under and road planning restarted.
The only safe ship in a storm is Leadership. - Faye Wattleton
CotterpinDoozer
Regent
Regent

Unread post Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:13 pm

They seem to be very popular where I live in Texas. They have caused more than one accident, but it's because a lot of people are bad drivers.
Anonymous 1

Unread post Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:58 pm

SolidlyAverage wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:58 pm
You are correct that they cause more accidents.

They also cause fewer injuries and deaths despite that. Low speed collisions instead of people t-boning each other at 60mph.

They’re smart. They’re evidence based. Learn how to drive and quit whining.
I can whine and complain about anything I damn well please, thank you very much! Who made you the police of the boards?
Anonymous 1

Unread post Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:01 pm

mcginnisc wrote:
I hope people figure them out soon here. Any time I get on one I am always on my guard because some idiot doesnt know how to yield onto one, or someone doesnt slow down and ends up taking over both lanes. It's nerve wrecking.
Anonymous 1

Unread post Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:08 pm

CotterpinDoozer wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:13 pm
They seem to be very popular where I live in Texas. They have caused more than one accident, but it's because a lot of people are bad drivers.
Same in my area. No one knows how to drive. I nearly missed a collision today because the truck ahead of me wanted to whip over into the next lane without any warning, while another car from the lane next to that one was going into that same lane. They almost collided and as a result I had to slam on my breaks and swerve to the side to keep from hitting the both of them. Its a good thing I wasnt too close to the truck or going to fast or I wouldn't have had a chance to miss either of them. And then all day today as i was driving I kept seeing people cutting each other off left and right. We are full of impatient indecisive drivers.
Diamepphyre
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:15 pm

LiveWhatULove wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:20 pm
I KNOW! WTF is up with these damn things. I heard they are supposed to conserve energy or something, as you don't stop to idle, but in reality, when you figure in the cost and environmental impact on multiple fender benders & automobile cost repairs, I fail to see how they are better.

Our city planners seem to love them though.
Anonymous 1 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:58 pm
What is the deal with roundabouts? They have been going up everywhere in my city lately. They cause nothing but turmoil. People dont know how to drive these damn things and they slow traffic and cause more accidents instead of doing what they are supposed to do. How are you going to set the speed limit to 50 and then put 3 F***ing roundabouts within a quarter F***ing mile, and expect the traffic to run smoothly? Especially in an area where already can't drive for shit! What the f**k! Two accidents I was stuck behind yesterday because of these damn things. What should have taken me 15 minutes to get home, took me nearly an hour. And these damn things are popping up every damn where! And dont even get me started on the rigs who try to take these things...... Just STOP with these thins, they dont help. Traffic is so much worse since they started putting these in. I dont know how they do it in Europe, but they dont go well here with our non-driving assholes.
There wouldn't be accidents if people would learn how to use them properly. Use your blinkers when you enter and exit, and yield to traffic already in the circle. Easy-peasy. The problem comes in with people who don't use blinkers, don't plan ahead, and can't wait their turn.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:24 pm

Diamepphyre wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:15 pm
LiveWhatULove wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:20 pm
I KNOW! WTF is up with these damn things. I heard they are supposed to conserve energy or something, as you don't stop to idle, but in reality, when you figure in the cost and environmental impact on multiple fender benders & automobile cost repairs, I fail to see how they are better.

Our city planners seem to love them though.
Anonymous 1 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:58 pm
What is the deal with roundabouts? They have been going up everywhere in my city lately. They cause nothing but turmoil. People dont know how to drive these damn things and they slow traffic and cause more accidents instead of doing what they are supposed to do. How are you going to set the speed limit to 50 and then put 3 F***ing roundabouts within a quarter F***ing mile, and expect the traffic to run smoothly? Especially in an area where already can't drive for shit! What the f**k! Two accidents I was stuck behind yesterday because of these damn things. What should have taken me 15 minutes to get home, took me nearly an hour. And these damn things are popping up every damn where! And dont even get me started on the rigs who try to take these things...... Just STOP with these thins, they dont help. Traffic is so much worse since they started putting these in. I dont know how they do it in Europe, but they dont go well here with our non-driving assholes.
There wouldn't be accidents if people would learn how to use them properly. Use your blinkers when you enter and exit, and yield to traffic already in the circle. Easy-peasy. The problem comes in with people who don't use blinkers, don't plan ahead, and can't wait their turn.
IMO, you should do city planning to minimize cost AND maximize safety, which means acknowledging people don't use blinkers, they don't yield well, they aren't patient. It's not human nature in the personal vehicles, should it be? YEA, but we need to be realistic. I think they will be very functional when we are all in autonomous drive vehicles in 20-30 years, but until then, SHEESH!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic