St.Patrick's Day Dinner Recipes

Midnight_Storm
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:48 am
Midnight_Storm wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:44 am
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:36 am

And I could get the corned beef from the deli department without having to buy a whole roast.
That is a good idea, plus it’d probably be easier to cube than from a roast if you wanted to cube instead of shred. I might have to find another deli. I usually use our local grocery store because they sell the Boars Head brand which is really good, but they are always out of corned beef when I want some.
When I was a kid, we bought that stuff (canned corned beef) and made corned beef soup. The recipe was basically boil the peeled, cut up potatoes, diced corned beef, cut up cabbage, chopped onion, and sliced carrots in enough water to cover, season with salt and pepper. It was a cheap meal. Though if I made it today, I think I'd use boxed vegetable or beef broth and a corned beef roast.
I’m not a big soup eater, because I prefer more solid than liquid, but I bet that wouldn’t have had that lot of broth to vegetables meat ratio with just adding enough to cover as it would simmer down. Using a broth from the start would also allow for more flavor to infuse into the dish.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Midnight_Storm wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:16 am
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:48 am
Midnight_Storm wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:44 am

That is a good idea, plus it’d probably be easier to cube than from a roast if you wanted to cube instead of shred. I might have to find another deli. I usually use our local grocery store because they sell the Boars Head brand which is really good, but they are always out of corned beef when I want some.
When I was a kid, we bought that stuff (canned corned beef) and made corned beef soup. The recipe was basically boil the peeled, cut up potatoes, diced corned beef, cut up cabbage, chopped onion, and sliced carrots in enough water to cover, season with salt and pepper. It was a cheap meal. Though if I made it today, I think I'd use boxed vegetable or beef broth and a corned beef roast.
I’m not a big soup eater, because I prefer more solid than liquid, but I bet that wouldn’t have had that lot of broth to vegetables meat ratio with just adding enough to cover as it would simmer down. Using a broth from the start would also allow for more flavor to infuse into the dish.
It was more of a stew than a soup.
Sassy762
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Sassy762
Princess
Princess

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:58 am When I was a kid, mom would always make something in our school lunches green. Either our applesauce or milk would be green. Always looked forward to that.

I'd love to find a delish cabbage and corned beef potato salad recipe. The kid isn't fond of corned beef or cabbage. Hubs is but he's not always in the mood for it. So I end up with more corned beef and cabbage than I can eat. I was thinking, maybe a potato salad? Have you ever tried that? There are lots of recipes for it online, so I'm not the only one who's considered it.

There's an Irish Pub near me that makes ruben eggrolls that are to die for! Corned beef, sauerkraut in an egg roll with thousand island dressing to dip in. Yumm!

I have but I added mayo to this recipe. Have you tried making corned beef hash with the leftovers?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.genius ... alad-52700
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Sassy762 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:25 pm
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:58 am When I was a kid, mom would always make something in our school lunches green. Either our applesauce or milk would be green. Always looked forward to that.

I'd love to find a delish cabbage and corned beef potato salad recipe. The kid isn't fond of corned beef or cabbage. Hubs is but he's not always in the mood for it. So I end up with more corned beef and cabbage than I can eat. I was thinking, maybe a potato salad? Have you ever tried that? There are lots of recipes for it online, so I'm not the only one who's considered it.

There's an Irish Pub near me that makes ruben eggrolls that are to die for! Corned beef, sauerkraut in an egg roll with thousand island dressing to dip in. Yumm!

I have but I added mayo to this recipe. Have you tried making corned beef hash with the leftovers?

I think I want a heated potato salad instead of cold. I end up with way too much corned beef and no one but me likes hash. So no. Sadly.
Sassy762
Princess
Princess

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:28 pm

I think I want a heated potato salad instead of cold. I end up with way too much corned beef and no one but me likes hash. So no. Sadly.
Technically you dont have to follow any recipe to the letter. You can always chop the cooked leftover meat, potatoes and cabbage up into bite size pieces then reheat in the microwave and then add the dressing.
CotterpinDoozer
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Midnight_Storm wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:15 am
CotterpinDoozer wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:10 am I make my kids green eggs and ham on St. Patrick's day for Breakfast.

I made a really good corned beef and cabbage soup last year, might do that again or I might just make corned beef and cabbage, I was able to find a smaller one in the middle of February that won't produce endless leftovers, so I grabbed it and froze it.
That was smart. Maybe I’ll start looking for smaller ones. I never think about it until around St Patrick’s Day and so much would be wasted on just me. But I could probably get a small one, cut it down even smaller then freeze.
I just sort of stumbled upon it, but knew if I didn't buy it then only the bigger ones would be left, so I grabbed it and froze it.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Sassy762 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:40 pm
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:28 pm

Technically you dont have to follow any recipe to the letter. You can always chop the cooked leftover meat, potatoes and cabbage up into bite size pieces then reheat in the microwave and then add the dressing.
I hardly ever follow any recipe to the letter.
Sassy762
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Sassy762
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Locked Previous topicNext topic