How would you feel about this?

Unread post

Your dd is going to college and majoring in dance. I think it’s stupid to waste money on a hobby that can never be a lucrative career. Yes I realize SOME dance teachers are phenomenal but to make decent money you have to be in an area where people have disposable income for such extra curricular activities and let’s face it to establish yourself and build a good name takes time. The hours are horrible for moms so once you start a family your career is doomed.

Would you fully pay for and support your daughter attending college as a dance major? With no plan b.
AsteroidStar
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Yes. Why would I want to tell my children that they can only follow their dreams if I approve of them?
You might be a king or a lowly street sweeper, but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.
Mammagoose
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I don't live in a high income area and my 8 year old dd is in competitive dance. Her dance teacher homeschools her 12 year old son and she took over the studio when her mom retired.
So yeah I don't believe your argument and would totally support my dds dreams. She has wanted to be a dance teacher since she was 4.
SunshineDaydream
Viscountess
Viscountess

Unread post

Guest wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:59 pm Your dd is going to college and majoring in dance. I think it’s stupid to waste money on a hobby that can never be a lucrative career. Yes I realize SOME dance teachers are phenomenal but to make decent money you have to be in an area where people have disposable income for such extra curricular activities and let’s face it to establish yourself and build a good name takes time. The hours are horrible for moms so once you start a family your career is doomed.

Would you fully pay for and support your daughter attending college as a dance major? With no plan b.
I would strongly discourage it based on my personal experience with an Arts degree. I am currently dealing with this with my daughter, although she just started 9yh grade so I have a few years to work on her lol.

My parents were super duper UBER supportive of my mediocre acting talent and let me waste 3 years and gazillions of dollars in Theatre school. I didn't take it seriously, realized I didn't have what it takes, and dropped out. Now I'm a dog groomer 😒

I will not crush my daughter's dreams, but I will be much more realistic with her than my parents were.
SunshineDaydream
Viscountess
Viscountess

Unread post

AsteroidStar wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:15 am Yes. Why would I want to tell my children that they can only follow their dreams if I approve of them?
Because you might waste tens of thousands of dollars on s degree she might never use. If my daughter wants to take out loans for a music degree I will support the shit out of her but if I'm paying, the degree will be more lucrative and she can pursue the art on the side. Many successful artists don't have degrees in their field anyway.
SisterSomeone
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

While I don't have either the intention or the ability to fully pay for my son's college degree, I would absolutely support him 100% in whatever he chose. If I happened to think that his choice of major was an impractical or useless one, I would encourage him to consider double majoring or minoring in something more marketable, but the final decision would be up to him, and I would support him regardless.
SisterSomeone
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

SunshineDaydream wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:24 am
AsteroidStar wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:15 am Yes. Why would I want to tell my children that they can only follow their dreams if I approve of them?
Because you might waste tens of thousands of dollars on s degree she might never use. If my daughter wants to take out loans for a music degree I will support the shit out of her but if I'm paying, the degree will be more lucrative and she can pursue the art on the side. Many successful artists don't have degrees in their field anyway.
If that's the argument you're going with, many people build successful careers in all sorts of fields without ever using their college degrees.
SunshineDaydream
Viscountess
Viscountess

Unread post

SisterSomeone wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:27 am
SunshineDaydream wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:24 am
If that's the argument you're going with, many people build successful careers in all sorts of fields without ever using their college degrees.
Well that's true, but if your degree is an arts one, and you try to pursue another field and fail, falling back on your arts degree....doesn't really help....unless you teach I guess,depending on the state. I believe some states require a teaching degree.
KendallsMom
Spoiled SAHM
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I would not be happy with that to be honest. Seems like a waste of money and time.
Fairymom
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

I would support her. I would encourage her to double major in teaching too though or something not arts related just to have a backup plan.
Locked Previous topicNext topic